Bubba's SPS Journey

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw he posted a pic on Facebook before rap, and I think your frag looks nice. So was thinking of getting one from him.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw he posted a pic on Facebook before rap, and I think your frag looks nice. So was thinking of getting one from him.
I didn't see his Facebook post but I went and looked it up. That looks like the exact frag I bought. I think the real color is somewhere between mine and his pic. I can't quite capture the gold polyps in my pics but it's definitely there.
After seeing brads (reefnjunkie) pic of the bahama mama is what made me want the frag. After looking at brads pic just now, it looks dead on to how the frag actually looks, lol.

Reefnjunkie pic
IMG_0111.JPG

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your photos are BEAUTIFUL! I'd love to see a FTS of your reef! That's a stellar collection of acros!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are continuing to grow.
Pink lemonade
Pink lemonade April 19.jpg

Bubblegum Digi. I think I am going to regret the rainbow monti on the rocks next to it.
DSC_0076-3.jpg

Unknown
DSC_0069-2.jpg

Reef ready grape juice
DSC_0099.jpg

Greg C efflo. I put this one way to close to the others.
DSC_0090.jpg

Tyree Superman
DSC_0063-3.jpg

Unknown. If you know what it is please tell me.
DSC_0044.jpg

Last edited:

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude rainbow monti is the devil. Mine is taking over a large rocks and it so far has completely killed and overgrown a setosa. It is getting very close to my Paletta Pink Tip.

Your corals look great as always!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude rainbow monti is the devil. Mine is taking over a large rocks and it so far has completely killed and overgrown a setosa. It is getting very close to my Paletta Pink Tip.

Thank you!

Yeah the Monti is starting to become a real worry. It was originally in my 75 gallon and I thought I had killed it. When I upgraded tanks I just put the rocks how I wanted them not even paying attention to what was on them because I thought it was dead. After a few months I noticed there was a coral growing so I looked and it was the rainbow monti and it was alive and well. Ever since it just keeps expanding and I think it just about to touch the digi. If it causes any issue I won’t hesitate to smother it in epoxy.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see his Facebook post but I went and looked it up. That looks like the exact frag I bought. I think the real color is somewhere between mine and his pic. I can't quite capture the gold polyps in my pics but it's definitely there.
After seeing brads (reefnjunkie) pic of the bahama mama is what made me want the frag. After looking at brads pic just now, it looks dead on to how the frag actually looks, lol.

Reefnjunkie pic
IMG_0111.JPG
I have my weird looking frag of CC Bahama Mama too. It finally woke up after my tank turned the corner at the beginning of the year. Not bad since I almost lost it! It literally only had flesh on one side of the stick and I put so much superglue on it to save it that it looks like its 1/2" thick but it's really just encrusted over all that superglue.

Great looking frags Bubba! You have a quite envious collection!
92c95aa86178489b844d78adadc1c45c.jpg

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The final result of any SPS tank long term is the montis will win out. That's why I removed them all... Well, except setosa, it loses to everything so it stayed. Mike Paletta said it best, friends don't give friends montis... Paraphrased of course.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my weird looking frag of CC Bahama Mama too. It finally woke up after my tank turned the corner at the beginning of the year. Not bad since I almost lost it! It literally only had flesh on one side of the stick and I put so much superglue on it to save it that it looks like its 1/2" thick but it's really just encrusted over all that superglue.

Great looking frags Bubba! You have a quite envious collection!
92c95aa86178489b844d78adadc1c45c.jpg

The final result of any SPS tank long term is the montis will win out. That's why I removed them all... Well, except setosa, it loses to everything so it stayed. Mike Paletta said it best, friends don't give friends montis... Paraphrased of course.
The bahama mama seems to be a fast grower, as it is already encrusting down on the glue. You can't even tell yours had an issue. The purple on yours looks outstanding!

How did you remove your montis? Did you just remove the rock it was on?
The two montis I have is that rainbow and the grafted cap. The grafted cap doesn't seem to fight back very well. The coral next to it stings it non stop and kills it back.
DSC_0014-2.jpg

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bahama mama seems to be a fast grower, as it is already encrusting down on the glue. You can't even tell yours had an issue. The purple on yours looks outstanding!

How did you remove your montis? Did you just remove the rock it was on?
The two montis I have is that rainbow and the grafted cap. The grafted cap doesn't seem to fight back very well. The coral next to it stings it non stop and kills it back.
DSC_0014-2.jpg
Oh man, the Bahamas Mama has been in my system since late Summer of last year. After my growing pains of a new tank, it hit its stride at the beginning of the year and has been encrusting nicely. I'm excited about it!

You'll laugh... I should have recorded it last night but I literally take a flat head screwdriver and a hammer and chip away at the rock at an angle. Once you break through a piece to the rock below, you can then turn and chip it sideways and often it'll come out in big chunks. When it doesn't, I scrape like crazy and then kalk the rest. I had to fight a sunburst monti that fought its way back from the first time I banished it with just one polyp left. It was 4" x 4" by the time I figured I better do something about it. Montis... Never again!

Now that grafted can stay. Usually the caps lose to acros I've found but the encrusting montis almost always win so they are all banished!

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, the Bahamas Mama has been in my system since late Summer of last year. After my growing pains of a new tank, it hit its stride at the beginning of the year and has been encrusting nicely. I'm excited about it!

You'll laugh... I should have recorded it last night but I literally take a flat head screwdriver and a hammer and chip away at the rock at an angle. Once you break through a piece to the rock below, you can then turn and chip it sideways and often it'll come out in big chunks. When it doesn't, I scrape like crazy and then kalk the rest. I had to fight a sunburst monti that fought its way back from the first time I banished it with just one polyp left. It was 4" x 4" by the time I figured I better do something about it. Montis... Never again!

Now that grafted can stay. Usually the caps lose to acros I've found but the encrusting montis almost always win so they are all banished!
OMG! That sounds like an ordeal that I will be terrified to do! I will probably end up covering it with the two part putty as I will be scared to put so much kalk paste next to other corals.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! That sounds like an ordeal that I will be terrified to do! I will probably end up covering it with the two part putty as I will be scared to put so much kalk paste next to other corals.
The more mature your tank gets, the more you'll hate montis if you're an acro lover.

ReefAddiction34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really share much pics but I figured I would start so I can document my journey and sps growth. I will upload new photos of new sps as I get them or have time to take more photos. Here are a few to start with.
JKR rainbow.png

JKR rainbow
Pink Lemonade.png

Pink Lemonade
BC Secale.png

BC Secale
TSA Princess Peach.png

TSA Princess Peach
Confetti January.png

Vivids Confetti
Bubba please let me know when that vivids confetti is ready for fragging !

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back