Bubble Algae and Emerald Crabs

kransdell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon fish tank that I've maintained for about 9 months. I started with 2 emerald crabs and they died and idk why. I later got 2 more and one died the first week I got it and the other died just recently after 4 months. I don't understand why they keep dying. I have a bubble algae problem as well. My tailspot blenny helps but it's still a major issue. I didn't have bubble algae until the first 2 emerald crabs died and I wasn't able to get more until 2 months later. The water perimeters are nearly perfect and I also have clown fish and mexican turbo snails that I've had from the beginning with no issues. I'm open to getting more organisms but I'm not sure what to get. I was thinking a Starry Blenny?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs have worked for me. I’m at a loss as to why yours keep dying. Other than the bubble algae is there other algae? Could they have starved? Did you acclimate them well! Did you try a different vendor the second time? Inquiring minds want to know.

OP
OP
K

kransdell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs have worked for me. I’m at a loss as to why yours keep dying. Other than the bubble algae is there other algae? Could they have starved? Did you acclimate them well! Did you try a different vendor the second time? Inquiring minds want to know.
I did not change the vender but I got all my other organisms from the same place and haven't had any issues but I could try that. I did drip acclimation and I do have other algae in the tank but it's on the glass. I never had more than two crabs at a time and there is a large surface with plenty of algae

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation is a big deal with crabs. Even then I seem to lose them, whether death or they just seem to hide. If you have room my one spot foxface does a good job on bubble algae.

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about a 90% survival rate with all my inverts no matter if or how I acclimate them.

Except with emeralds. 30% survival rate, at best. Most of the ones I’ve got are from various LFS and have been small, and ignore the visible bubble algae. I’ve found they are not magic algae solutions, rather they are opportunistic feeders and will pick at anything they can get their claws around.

I’ve heard that bigger ones, and ones that are proven to eat BA by the vendor, are your best bet.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine in a Floating Trap, that’s also held by a Magnet. Piece of rock with algae, in the trap. Wait till they complete a molt, before releasing them. They always seem to molt, after transporting, and are very fragile with this molt. My observation in the trap, is they can’t eat, anything but very small bubble algae and the buds.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back