Bubble Algae Cover Up

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been steadily removing bubble algae by manually removing it from rocks that have been yanked temporarily out of my tank and rinsed.
My large rocks are a pain to get out of the tank. Can I cover up up the bubble algae without pressing on it in order to kill it?
Or will this release the spores (?) and spread it even more?

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to deal with bubble algae is emerald crabs, turbo snails or blennies. Bubble algae is pretty tolerant to low light levels so that alone may not help get rid of it. Good luck!

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been steadily removing bubble algae by manually removing it from rocks that have been yanked temporarily out of my tank and rinsed.
My large rocks are a pain to get out of the tank. Can I cover up up the bubble algae without pressing on it in order to kill it?
Or will this release the spores (?) and spread it even more?
btw! the breaking bubbles releasing spores is all myth. People keep saying it because reading old post. Been proven they grow by division. Go break away and try it! Mine just spreads quick and couldn’t get into tight spaces. Reluctantly I used Vibrant but it did work but my tank was covered

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw! the breaking bubbles releasing spores is all myth. People keep saying it because reading old post. Been proven they grow by division. Go break away and try it! Mine just spreads quick and couldn’t get into tight spaces. Reluctantly I used Vibrant but it did work but my tank was covered
I can't believe that releasing spores is a myth. It has spread and popped up way too quickly in my tank for that to be the case. And I haven't seen any floating around except after I do a manual removal by yanking out the rocks. It is possible that they spread by division too.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe that releasing spores is a myth. It has spread and popped up way too quickly in my tank for that to be the case. And I haven't seen any floating around except after I do a manual removal by yanking out the rocks. It is possible that they spread by division too.
I hear ya! but its proven! Someone on here even pasted in the scientific writeup. I thought same as you but not sure if you ever noticed whole small bubbles floating around I believe they break off and find another home probably why their is so many in cracks show up. This also helped clarify another thing people say that MAKES NO Sense. They say don't pop bubbles and get emerald crabs!!! I do believe they help when only in a couple areas but Did you ever see an emerald crab eat bubble algae? They POP the bubbles and tear apart the pieces to eat, so isn't that the same? The people in the know can't believe this is is "a thing" another point! did you ever see an ulva (sea lettuce) break! iti covers the tank in days so it happens in more than one algae!

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.php

Here is an article that may be helpful! Athough in here it does say there may be spores in the largest mature bubbles but still not reason for outbreak! more important to remove any tissue remaining. looks interesting as I did not know so many different bubble algaes as well good luck!

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your article says a third of the mature size on this species. They do release spores. My tank had so many appear so quickly I knew beyond any doubt that it had to be reproducing that way.

1641422257845.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Turbo snails and blennies will not do anything.
-Rabbit fish
- Emerald crab
- Pitho crab
- manual removal
- pop each with a needle and add either liquid vibrant at 80% or Peroxide at 1.5ml per 10 gallons

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this, as you said.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back