Bubble algae for nutrient export?

Fishnchips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it matter what kind of algae you grow for nutrient export? As long as it grows fast, is contained where you want it and gets harvested regularly is there really a difference between nuisance and good macro algae?

I have tons of bubble algae in my sump. I have a small amount in my display but the rabbit fish keeps it under control. I've started harvesting it from the sump like any other macro algae, but leaving enough to have it grow back quickly.

Just curious.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kinda a risky algae to grow in my opinion but people use pest algae in algae scrubbers to remove nitrate and ammonia and such

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle believes a red turf algae growing in the filtration system on the coral farm he ran detrimental affected some Acorpora species.

Others like sea lettuce (Ulva LACTUCA) can take hold in the display, perhaps?

If an algae is fast growing, outcompetes display algae for necessary nutrients, & stays put in the sump, it's good to go. IMO.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle believes a red turf algae growing in the filtration system on the coral farm he ran detrimental affected some Acorpora species.

Others like sea lettuce (Ulva LACTUCA) can take hold in the display, perhaps?

If an algae is fast growing, outcompetes display algae for necessary nutrients, & stays put in the sump, it's good to go. IMO.
I published an article about the invasive red algae (tentatively ID'd as a Hypnea species) in Freshwater and Marine Aquarium magazine back in the late 90's. This turf algae could get into the skeletons of corals (always in Acropora species in my experience.) Once the algae penetrated the fleshy tissue, that tissue would dissolve. We thought the algae would get into the coral skeleton through the raw skeleton exposed when fragging. Never saw any other algae do this, only the red. Scrubbing of nutrients by algae is a valid method, but avoid and red algal species.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I published an article about the invasive red algae (tentatively ID'd as a Hypnea species) in Freshwater and Marine Aquarium magazine back in the late 90's. This turf algae could get into the skeletons of corals (always in Acropora species in my experience.) Once the algae penetrated the fleshy tissue, that tissue would dissolve. We thought the algae would get into the coral skeleton through the raw skeleton exposed when fragging. Never saw any other algae do this, only the red. Scrubbing of nutrients by algae is a valid method, but avoid and red algal species.
Thanks for your input Dana.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dana, I find this very interesting. Do you have any online article links that talk about this experience in a little more depth? I’m interested in the specifics...did you introduce the red algae or did it come in on something unknowingly? How did you begin to theorize that the algae was doing this to the acropora and what confirmed it for you? This has really piqued my interest. Thanks!

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle, I recall you mentioning how after you cleaned your algae scrubber screens in this farm system your skimmers would go nuts for an hour or so, & thought the following may interest you?

I read a paper regarding a species of Ulva living in the tidal zone & how it leached a high percentage of organics as a result of being stressed. The ulva would become desiccated at low tide & then be rehydrated either by the incoming tide or rain water. In lab tests carried out they found that the rehydration of the partially desiccated ulva from seawater resulted in a significant release of organics for around 15 minutes, but if rehydrated with fresh water this stress reaction lasted for around 30 minutes.

So I figured that the algae on your scrubber screens was firstly stressed by the harvesting of the excess algae, & stressed further again by flushing the screen in fresh water, & your skimmers processing the organics.

I clean my scrubber screen, flush with fresh water & then leave it to relax in a separate container of aquarium water for 15 minutes or so. I don’t run a skimmer of GAC, so I avoid the organics somewhat.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back