Bubble algae growing between zoa colony

Snailfood73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came back form a week long trip to find bubble algae growing right in the middle of a zoa colony. I read somewhere that vibrant aquarium cleaner does the trick so I’ve been dosing once a week since I noticed the algae, but I haven’t seen improvement. Granted, it’s only been about 3 weeks since I started dosing. I’ve read that plucking the bubbles off can release spores into the tank, so I’ve been trying to leave it alone. What is the best way to deal with this issue? Should I just continue dosing and wait for the bubbles to diminish?

Thanks!

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how many you have you could do manual removal but vibrant also works. Some folks report cyano after dosing vibrant something to watch out. I used vibrant successfully. I did had a pretty bad infestation.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using Vibrant when my coralline algae started dying. I was 8 weeks in and the bubble algae was just starting to weaken. I also stopped using it because it isn't a bacterial additive as advertised, and actually an algaecide.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using Vibrant when my coralline algae started dying. I was 8 weeks in and the bubble algae was just starting to weaken. I also stopped using it because it isn't a bacterial additive as advertised, and actually an algaecide.
+1 this. Vibrant is a band-aid and it doesn't fix the issue that caused the algae in the first place

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Vibrant - alternative not solution.
Emerald crab
Foxface rabbit
pitho crab

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bubble algae removal tool from Fish of Hex's shop here and I've found it works pretty well. Basically you just use it like a typical water change device, but the tip has a hard point which you can use to pick/scrape the bubble algae off of the rocks or frags and it's immediately sucked up by the syphon. I've even used it to remove bubble algae growing in between zoas before as well. I highly recommend it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back