Bubble Algae in ZeoVit tank...

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I had a bubble algae issues in one of my non-ZeoVit tanks... And, even though I feel like I tried every quarantine/isolation procedure, it has move to my SPS only ZeoVit tank.... I have had luck using Vibrant in the other system, but I am terrified to use Vibrant with the zeo method... Either to drop nutrients TOO low or somehow mess up the bacterial balance in the system. Is there any other way besides vibrant (I added some emerald crabs) to eradicate this algae? Fluconazole has been disastrous for me with SPS in the past, so that’s not an option.....

This particular strain of bubble algae has been BY far the most aggressive pest I’ve ever dealt with. I want to stop this before I gets as wild as it was in the other system....

Basic parameters are all in line-

8dKH
458cal
1280 mag
1.026 sg
Temp stays at 78f
ICP was performed a few weeks back and no issues were obvious... I was hoping maybe silicates would be high and that’s what was spreading the BA, as No3 and Po4 are bother very low and there is no other visible algae in the system. Does BA feed on something besides phosphates?

thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Increasing mag may help otherwise a blackout may also work

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
3-5 days
Corals do fine but you can give them 10-15% blu
I've never done a blackout before.... How long do you normally do this? No negative impact on corals?
3-5 days and coral will be fine but you can give them 10-15% blue

dbq5anlxj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I had a bubble algae issues in one of my non-ZeoVit tanks... And, even though I feel like I tried every quarantine/isolation procedure, it has move to my SPS only ZeoVit tank.... I have had luck using Vibrant in the other system, but I am terrified to use Vibrant with the zeo method... Either to drop nutrients TOO low or somehow mess up the bacterial balance in the system. Is there any other way besides vibrant (I added some emerald crabs) to eradicate this algae? Fluconazole has been disastrous for me with SPS in the past, so that’s not an option.....

This particular strain of bubble algae has been BY far the most aggressive pest I’ve ever dealt with. I want to stop this before I gets as wild as it was in the other system....

Basic parameters are all in line-

8dKH
458cal
1280 mag
1.026 sg
Temp stays at 78f
ICP was performed a few weeks back and no issues were obvious... I was hoping maybe silicates would be high and that’s what was spreading the BA, as No3 and Po4 are bother very low and there is no other visible algae in the system. Does BA feed on something besides phosphates?

thank you!
Did you get rid of the bubble algae from your zeovit tank? If so how? Thanks

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the zeovit but vibrant knocked out all of mine. Took 7 weeks but I was desperate and about to tear the tank down. I lost a birdnest in the process but that was it. Soft corals and other hard corals were fine.

dbq5anlxj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the zeovit but vibrant knocked out all of mine. Took 7 weeks but I was desperate and about to tear the tank down. I lost a birdnest in the process but that was it. Soft corals and other hard corals were fine.
Did you dose twice a week or once? Thanks

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose twice a week or once? Thanks
I recommend going with the recommended dose nothing more , since vibrant it can sharply lower your nutrients to 0 .
which you don't want for two reasons:
1) you don't want parameter swings .
2) very low nutrients isn't good for corals

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back