Bubble Algae Remedy Needed

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a good remedy for bubble algae? It’s slowly starting to take over the tank and it’s in some pretty hard to reach spots. I bought an emerald crab but he doesn’t seem to interested and he would probably spread it anyway. I think I’ve heard of flucanazol working but also heard it will kill coral. Any ideas?

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fairly severe bubble algae outbreak at one point. A combination of Vibrant, an emerald crab and consistent water changes knocked it out, but it took about 2 months.

The emerald crab definitely ate some of the bubble algae, but there is no way he could have removed it all by himself. It was everywhere.

RuuToo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everywhere I have emerald crabs, I have no bubble algae. It can take a while, but manual removal of the big stuff and a couple of emeralds (or more, depending upon tank size) would be safest to start

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had BA REALLY bad about two years ago. The first thing I had to figure out was; what was the issue allowing BA to take over. For me it was feeding too much and not being consistent with my nutrient export. I had to do the following to get it under control (in order of what I think worked the best):

Took out my rockscape (where I could) and scraped off as much BA as possible followed by a quick h2o2 bath.

Fed less food (we feed our fish too much anyways!)

Increased the flow in the tank significantly.

Increased skimmer to wet-skim until BA got under control. I have mostly a softie tank so they like the water to be a bit dirty.

Increased my photoperiod of my refugium and removed chateo on a regular basis. Before I would let it just keep growing and growing.
3 emerald crabs.

In the end I eradicated about 95% of the BA and don't have an issue anymore. As long as you find the sweet spot for nutrient export BA will have a hard time taking a hold of your tank.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had BA REALLY bad about two years ago. The first thing I had to figure out was; what was the issue allowing BA to take over. For me it was feeding too much and not being consistent with my nutrient export. I had to do the following to get it under control (in order of what I think worked the best):

Took out my rockscape (where I could) and scraped off as much BA as possible followed by a quick h2o2 bath.

Fed less food (we feed our fish too much anyways!)

Increased the flow in the tank significantly.

Increased skimmer to wet-skim until BA got under control. I have mostly a softie tank so they like the water to be a bit dirty.

Increased my photoperiod of my refugium and removed chateo on a regular basis. Before I would let it just keep growing and growing.
3 emerald crabs.

In the end I eradicated about 95% of the BA and don't have an issue anymore. As long as you find the sweet spot for nutrient export BA will have a hard time taking a hold of your tank.
I’m going to try and do water changes more often while I get my new tank set up. I haven’t been doing them simply because my nutrients have been in check for the most part

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back