Bubble Algae Removal Methods

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the seeming never ending series of issues I keep ending up with, I have bubble algae growing in a couple different spots. Doesn't seem too bad right now, can cope with manual removal, but I would prefer a more permanent/labour intensive solution.

The only other method I have really heard of is emerald crabs, but that seems iffy at best. That, and I have an eel that would be ecstatic if I threw in a bunch of crunchy snacks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had total success with liquid vibrant. Fluconasal (flux) also works well.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had my run ins with bubble algae emerald crabs did the job great. Once gone just make sure they are fed well and shouldn’t have a problem with them picking at coral.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Foxface, a dozen emerald crabs, and used Fluc a couple times. None of those put a dent in my bubble algae. Vibrant is the only thing that cleared my tank of bubble algae on two occasions. However, I am hesitant on using it again as both times it seemed to do a reset on my system and each time it took about 2 months to come back. I have a full acro dominant tank and both times I lost a couple pieces after the first month of Vibrant use.

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my current bubble algae dumpster fire. I add two emeralds crabs that did eat the bubble algae, but I would have needed like 2000 to eradicate it. More of a proactive approach imo.

I just started vibrant on Sunday. Planning to dose the recommended 1 ml per 10 gallons, twice weekly. Start back up with manual scraping before a biweekly water change...

20201005_195436_HDR.jpg

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned a Foxface would be ideal (if you have the room) I went w/a bicolored rabbitfish (which runs smaller than Foxface) in my 65 and it decimated bubble algae. If you go to Vibrant which works well, if you have cheato now, you'll lose it also to Vibrant.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned a Foxface would be ideal (if you have the room) I went w/a bicolored rabbitfish (which runs smaller than Foxface) in my 65 and it decimated bubble algae. If you go to Vibrant which works well, if you have cheato now, you'll lose it also to Vibrant.

Noted on the chaeto. I'll just put it in a different tank. Still trying to source some vibrant locally.
Side note, I assume it also works on bryopsis? Got a few strands coming up.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80-90% of my rocks totally caked in bubble algae, plus some hair algae issues. 2 months dosing vibrant at the ‘dirty’ amount and it’s been reduced to 2 spotty patches of bubble and the hair is gone. I have a 20 gallon tank so I dosed 2 mL 1x per week religiously for 2 months and now it’s gone! Side note, may have poor effect on your acros and will stop growth of Xenia. The Xenia will not die, and will not stop pulsing, but it will stop multiplying

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the seeming never ending series of issues I keep ending up with, I have bubble algae growing in a couple different spots. Doesn't seem too bad right now, can cope with manual removal, but I would prefer a more permanent/labour intensive solution.

The only other method I have really heard of is emerald crabs, but that seems iffy at best. That, and I have an eel that would be ecstatic if I threw in a bunch of crunchy snacks.

Just bought a brand new piece of live rock from the LFS. Did my water change and couldn’t have been happier with my new arrangement! However, turns out the new live rock has about 30 pieces of bubble algae along the top. I call the lfs (not to complain as it was ultimately my fault for not catching it before Perfectly placing it in my tank to my liking) and asked them what they suggest. They told me Emerald Crabs should do the trick but removing the rock and manually removing the bubble algae carefully as to not pop them would be the best method. I just finished getting everything just the way I liked it so I decided to head back to the store and grab a couple emerald crabs... figured this would buy me time at least till the next water change and if they didn’t help I’d manually take care of it then.

Turns out a lot of people on here also said Emeralds could do the trick! After bringing two Emeralds home I noticed the two crabs have already started feasting on the Bubble algae! So far I’m holding off on the vibrant unless it gets more out of hand.

Its only been a matter of hours and I’ve already seen progress so I’ll be sure to post an update in a couple days!

Good luck!

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you're having some success! I would love to let Emerald crabs do the dirty work, but my eel would eat them instantly. Such is the life of a predator keeper.

So far been able to prevent a total takeover manually, but I don't always get time to do it. (Huzzah for fluctuating work hours and OT) Vibrant arrived in the mail, as apparently my lfs couldn't order it in, so I am going to try that when I get around to pulling my macros. Will keep y'all updated.

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning I noticed about 2/3’s of the bubble algae had been eaten by the two emerald crabs over night! Hopefully they continue to rid the tank of this BA.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After trying emerald crabs who also attacked my fish and zoas I switched to Vibrant. It removed all of the bubble algae in a little over 8 weeks. The secret to Vibrant is not to overdose and be extremely patient. It took 5-6 weeks to see a noticeable difference but by the 8th week I had a beautiful looking tank!

Soryu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant has worked wonders for my tank with other algae but has done nothing to the bubble algae. I've tried emeralds and urchins with no success. Vibrant has had no ill affects on my macro algae, it grows slow and steady. I slowly remove as much as I can without get the crap stung out of me by my anemone army during water changes, I think I'm winning but who knows. A lot of the bubble algae has seniority at this point and is even covered in coralline.

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using vibrant for about 3 weeks, recommended dosage twice a week. I haven't seen it dissolve yet like I was hoping, but I have noticed that the stuff I've manually removed is not quickly growing back. So hoping that a combo of vibrant + removal before water change will get me there. I have not noticed any negative effects on any fish or coral. Good luck!!

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using vibrant for about 3 weeks, recommended dosage twice a week. I haven't seen it dissolve yet like I was hoping, but I have noticed that the stuff I've manually removed is not quickly growing back. So hoping that a combo of vibrant + removal before water change will get me there. I have not noticed any negative effects on any fish or coral. Good luck!!

I dosed Vibrant once a week and at 8-9 weeks all of the bubble algae was gone and my rocks were super clean and looked amazing. If you read the large Vibrant master thread you will see countless reports of the happening to others.

Don’t expect to see anything happening after 3 weeks. Also I believe you are using too much if you are adding it twice a week as the bottle says 1 ml for every 10 gallons once a week for dirtier tanks.

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Update*

After two days the emerald crabs have eaten All the bubble algae besides three bubbles that I can count! However..... they also tore a tip off my red star and my Duncan has not came out since they harassed him. Going to call around today and see where I can re-house them. They were so efficient and effective but can’t risk having them kill the beauty as well. Picked up some vibrant to hopefully finish the job and use in case of a future issues. So the emerald worked great but glad my tank is fairly new and there isn’t much for them to destroy.

Back