Bubble algae?

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I wanted your opinions on this. Is this bubble algae? I have looked up pics online and the bubbles in the bubble algae I looked up is either green or brownish red. However, I have these little bubbles all over on my sand, macros, rocks and so forth and the bubbles are clear.

I do a bit of GHA and sand usually gets a green and brownish tint so I turn it over everyday. I blow off my rocks and coral twice a day.

I am running Phosban, carbon, and purigen all in media bags. I don’t have a sump but I modded an aqua clear 110 into a fuge and run it in there. Aside from that, have a skimmer, empty it everyday. Tanks been up for close to a year I would say. Working on getting phosphate down. Everything else seems good aside from this bubble issue though.
88d0754f558558064a3f553dfdfa5539.jpg
9afde592191e2a314a72a71c5e78ffda.jpg

72deg
8.0 pH
dKH 9.3
Ca 430
Mg 1360
Nitrates 5.0
Phos .25

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s cyano, it creates oxygen during photosynthesis and often it gets stuck in the mass creating bubbles.
Some Dino’s do this as well.

Are you doing any carbon dosing ? Or feeding any aminos or coral foods? Any new foods?

Bubbble algae btw, is Valonia. If you like to google it for some more pics.

OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see. No I am not carbon dosing with anything but am running activated carbon in a mesh bag. I did start to use seachem phytoplex and noticed it started after that now that you mention it. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do to eradicate it?

I have to keep the temp lower because it’s a seahorse tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a battle my friend. There’s foods that do that to my tanks as well.

Just stop the new foods. Blow the stuff off and do some water changes.

I’ll look at the phytoplaex if you like.

OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! Hopefully it is not dinos.

I have stopped the phytoplex because it caused my phosphate to rise pretty quickly which is what I’m trying to bring back down. Maybe I used too much, although I didn’t think I was being heavy handed. But I will follow with larger WC’s. Hopefully it does the trick!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, with any luck that fixes it.
If you happen to have a UV in line or have one laying around , I’d use it.
Pulling the mass out will help. I’d keep changing the floss.
Just a little bit more than normal house keeping should clear it up.

If the stuff turns snotty brown tag me or the reefsquad. You don’t want Dino’s in there.

OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like it maybe dinos [emoji30]

I didn’t get a chance to blow the bubbles away this morning. When I returned home and looked at the tank, I see multiple areas with a mucusy brown string and bubble on top. What should I do? I am preparing water to do a WC, but any other advice? Thanks

OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the article, it has some great info.

I am confused as there seems to be so much info and schools of thought. I haven’t done a water change just yet because I read that it is advised not to do one in the event of an outbreak. But on other sources, people advise to do one.

I also read about the blackout for a few days. My problem with this is that it’s a seahorse tank and I have to feed them twice a day so I’m not sure how I’ll be able to do a full and consistent blackout either.

Raising pH is interesting because I have always had lower pH in my tank anyhow and raising it may help, it seems dependent on strain right? My pH usually hovers at 8.0 and 7.9.

I siphoned out as much gunk as I could last night, I’ll see how it’s looking once lights come on.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not convinced yet this is dino. But nutrients need to be addressed and possibly water quality in regards to source water. Your nutrients don't seem equalized unless you tested po4 right after feeding? Also, look at your ro/di unit for possible improvements. Many cities are going to chloramines for a longer lasting disinfectant. Great for us but makes a 4 stage ro/di not adequate enough.

OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it wasn’t directly after a feeding. Probably like 3-4 hours after I would say. I will take some more tests and post result. Do you think I should do a water change or not?

This is what I came home to. Let me know if you think this is dinos. It seems like it to me from descriptions.
I
f1f068db279946c09c1d7a83756e7dc9.jpg
717af9bb135f3ad5db64ca7ccd3bc95c.jpg
8a86ab786566a0a9371a78415433372c.jpg

OP
OP
Samina

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are all out of whack [emoji19]

SG 1.025
Temp 72deg F
pH 7.8
Nitrate 20ppm
Phos .1
dKH 7.0
Ca 495ppm
Mg 1500ppm

I think I am going to do a huge water change. Hopefully it doesn’t result in a complete Dino outbreak. . .

Any advice will be appreciated!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back