Bubble in silicone above the waterline upper right front glass Red Sea Reefer350

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers. Just noticed this while reading about other people's Red Sea Reefer issues. Bad timing.
This tank has 4 days of warranty left.
I noticed a bubble in the silicone of my Redsea Reefer 350. It is above the water line at the top of the tank, about half an inch vertical and a quarter of an inch horizontal. Please see photo. Should I be concerned? It looks like the bubble has a lead out to the right. Can I plug that up with silicone or cyanocrelate so no further water can enter? Does the fact that its at the top corner above the waterline make the issue any less severe?

I checked all other seams on other sides and bottom and all are still perfect.

My warranty expires in February 11th, so I am definately sending redsea an email.
However, what do you guys think of this bubble above the waterline?
20220207_004305.jpg

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of location it's probably in the most advantageous spot. Yes, if it extends to the side I'd probably put a small bead of silicone across that point just to seal it up (it won't do anything structurally, but maybe that will slow any progression).

OP
OP
ReeferSamster

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of location it's probably in the most advantageous spot. Yes, if it extends to the side I'd probably put a small bead of silicone across that point just to seal it up (it won't do anything structurally, but maybe that will slow any progression)
I've marked it and contacted Red Sea. Since I've read that silicone doesn't adhere to silicone and your advice is simply to seal off the area, do you think I should try to blow air in it, and dry the inside of that hole and seal the hole with super glue (cyanoacrylate)? Or just use silicone? Do you think it'll help if I even try to get some of it INSIDE the hole and fill the gap?

I know reefs, but I don't know much about silicone and structural integrity for aquariums due to compromised seals.

Lets see what RedSea's response is. Good timing that I caught this with only 3 more days left in my warranty!

Does warranty start as soon as I pay for the aquarium? Meaning I have an invoice with the date of payment on it.

OP
OP
ReeferSamster

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt do anything yet because then you may void your warranty. Wait and see what Red Sea says before you do anything that they can turn around and say you caused it
Good call. You caught me right as I was opening the cap to my superglue. LoL. Thanks

I'm definitely looking into waterbox for my next inevitable tank upgrade. They seem more structurally sound. (aluminum vs MDF etc)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger Red Sea tanks now have thicker glass, corner bracing and Euro bracing - as well as aluminum stands. There's also Cade, which is still my top tank.

OP
OP
ReeferSamster

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I heard back from Redsea. They are sending me a new tank and a new stand!
They told me they want a video of me ripping up the old sticker with the serial number in my overflow box. Totally understandable.

Not going to complain about the silicone failure in my tank. Once in a blue moon, there are defects and lemons in production across any vertical market. Nothing or no one is ever perfect. That's why there is a warranty

I'm breathing a sigh of relief and very grateful that Redsea is honoring their warranty. That gives me more confidence to purchase their products in the future as a customer.

Now I'm going to have to start a thread soon titled: "Transferring an established reef with 100+ lbs of natural live rock, 10+ year old fishies and buckets of dirty old live sand into a new tank". Not very enthusiastic about the endeavor.

Oh boy. o_O

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm going to have to start a thread soon titled: "Transferring an established reef with 100+ lbs of natural live rock, 10+ year old fishies and buckets of dirty old live sand into a new tank". Not very enthusiastic about the endeavor.

Oh boy. o_O

Personally, I would just go with (mostly) new sand in the new tank.... heck of a lot easier. Then just transfer whatever rock, coral, fish over from the old tank, along with a little of the old sand if you wanted.

What are you going to do with the old tank? If you are going to keep using it, I would definitely just leave the existing sand then.

OP
OP
ReeferSamster

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I trust the silicone failure enough for me to keep the tank. Maybe keep it as a spare emergency tank or frag tank in the basement somewhere safe if the tank explodes one day LOL. I am definitely NOT going to trust it as my DT however and will transfer to the new tank gradually. My aquatic friends and rocks have been with me too long for me to risk their lives on the tank. I am very grateful to RedSea for honoring their warranty.

Please see photo below of the silicone failure. Notice that there is a hole before the gap goes up 90 degrees vertically. It has grown, because I definitely did not see that vertical line in the past, although I am unsure of the timeframe.

What do you guys recommend if I wanted to keep it as a spare tank for emergencies? I purchased a pack of multi gauge needles and am considering trying to inject silicone through the needle, using the smallest gauge needle possible.

1) Anyone know the smallest gauge needle that silicone will squeeze through? I would have to keep the waterline arbitrarily low while the silicone cures so I will try to block it with tape for 24+ hours.
2) Should I use silicone or superglue? Silicone remains flexible, and cyanoacrylate dries hard, so I'm not sure if that will make the situation worse due to rigidity. I know that silicone doesn't adhere to old silicone, but I just want something to fill in and prevent further seepage of water splashes. It is right at my waterline.
3) Does cyanoacrylate have any negative effect on silicone?
4) Inject the inside hole with silicone and fill it, wait for it to cure and then seal it with a thin bead of superglue at the exterior gap?
5) The fact that it is on the top upper corner away from water, do you think that will eventually cause a catastrophic structural integrity failure with my DIY repair job?

Anyone have any experience with bubbles in silicone and the longevity of the aquarium?
Any words of advice much appreciated! :)

20220207_004305.jpg

Its going to be a nightmare transferring everything below to the new tank! I might use the old tank as a spare for emergencies, but I definitely want to transfer my DT reef world to the new tank.

IMG-20220208-WA0003.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferSamster

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an email from Redsea with a request to sign for final warranty approval confirmation.
I had inquired about any updates to the Reefer350 for my piece of mind and this is how they replied a few minutes ago. Apparently, they have improved the Reefer 350 since I last purchased it in 2019:

"The tank and cabinet are going to be the newest version that is available and will have thicker glass for the tank and also seam guards for sean corner of the aquarium. The cabinet also has some improvements that were made to add in additional support for the aquarium but it will not have any braces or aluminum framing."

So I do feel more confident with my new replacement tank and stand. It is still MDF, but I used to a own a 55 gallon freshwater tank on an old MDF stand that lasted 8 years before I took it down. The updates in the replacement tank and stand will hopefully last as long. Or maybe less, depending on how soon the itch for upgrading to a bigger tank becomes.

I started with a 10 gallon tank when I was a child. it became a 20 gallon. Then a 55 gallon. Then my aquatic hobby became an obsession when I started reefing. :p . Now I'm revolving my living room decor around the reef tank and I have learned, that your hobby will eventually will become: you don't get a reef tank for your room. You get a room for your reeftank.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back