Bubble magnus curve 5 issues

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a bran new bubble magnus curve 5, and a red sea reefer 170, the tank is 1 week old(cultured rock from quality LFS) the tank is cycled. I added a clown fish.

So I decided I might aswell turn my skimmer on, but for some reason I will over flow no matter what water height and setting I put it on, I know there is a break in period for skimmers, so my questions are

Should I even be running the skimmer right now?
If yes should I just let the over flow/foam drain in to my filter sock until it's "broke in"
Lastly how long does it generally take to break in a skimmer

Note I havnt dosed anything, I added very little microbac7 during the first 2 days, and my filter sock is 1week old now not brand new(cleaned it out once)

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble magus had to be lifted up about 3" of the bottom had it sitting on max setting allowing maximum amount of air in this would pf creat bubbles upto the neck it then started to break in.. it dod take me a bit to get it sorted due to the constant overflow. Hope this helps.

Normally run it for 3 or 4 days straight and should break in.

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's is sitting in 8.5" of water right now,
So your saying I should just run it and let it over flow for a week until it breaks in? And yah if I don't have it on max it overflow way quicker so I keep it on max ,

Thanks

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bubble magus curve elite 7 i recently broke in

I initiallybhad it raised, and then just lowered it all wat into sump

i had it draining into a filter sock

it took about 4 weeks for me to break in

now it rubs fine and all good

but yes its a game to see if its really working right

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run it on max with the lid off or the drain hose into the filter sock .
raise it up a little until it settles

I find with most insump skimmers they are a pain to break in , once broken in , the slightest addition to the tank even feeding different foods can excite them causing them to over flow .

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run it on max with the lid off or the drain hose into the filter sock .
raise it up a little until it settles

I find with most insump skimmers they are a pain to break in , once broken in , the slightest addition to the tank even feeding different foods can excite them causing them to over flow .
Okay thanks when I get home from work I'll turn it back on and let it go, hopefully it breaks in soon lol kinda sucks but I guess I have to deal with it,
Can you try raise it? Mine is in 7.5" of water
I can raise it but I've been messing around with it and at any water level it seems to over flow so it's easier just to leave it flat on the sump at 8.5"

When it finally does break in should I make my apex turn off my skimmer for 15mins while in feed mode?

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note I'm kinda new to this

I had a 19g(i think) bio cube when I was 18 and eventually It failed probably due to lack of attention(partying and girls lol)

I decided now it would be something fun to have and do with my son so I grabbed a tank and some things to go with it,

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks when I get home from work I'll turn it back on and let it go, hopefully it breaks in soon lol kinda sucks but I guess I have to deal with it,

I can raise it but I've been messing around with it and at any water level it seems to over flow so it's easier just to leave it flat on the sump at 8.5"

When it finally does break in should I make my apex turn off my skimmer for 15mins while in feed mode?
Yeah make sure you turn skimmer off when in feed mode as the sump water lever will raise and your skimmer will overflow

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Curve 7 running for little over a week. It skims but not consistent and wet when it does, looks like green tea. I've watched Youtube vids until I'm turning purple. Tried different water levels, playing with the gate valve and even got a ball valve to play with the air intake. Nothing seems to really change it. I decided that I just have to let it go and se what happens. At least it's pulling some stuff out. Anyway, I can understand the frustration.

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question, the skimmer seems to leak tiny bubbles out the air intake by the pump (see picture)

And it builds up big bubbles underneath it that I can hear every 15mins or so surface is this normal? Did I set it up wrong?
232029-bubblemagus-curve5_-proteinskimmer-an.jpg

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer, about a week old. Mine is at 7.5 inches. I accidentally shook a lot of detritus off of an old media bag as I put it in the skimmer section. Immediately stopped overflowing.

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer, about a week old. Mine is at 7.5 inches. I accidentally shook a lot of detritus off of an old media bag as I put it in the skimmer section. Immediately stopped overflowing.
So do you think my tank isn't dirty enough yet because it's so new, has not much to skim right now?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the bubbles/air buildup underneath the skimmer? Will that go away when it broke in?
Another thing with in sump skimmers I really can’t comment on .
I have the exact same skimmer but I ripped it out and exchanged it for a external skimmer .
Over flowing , having to dial in every other day ,
One day low , the next bubbling up .
I have that exact skimmer sitting Back in the box it came in ,
After using for less than a week .

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing with in sump skimmers I really can’t comment on .
I have the exact same skimmer but I ripped it out and exchanged it for a external skimmer .
Over flowing , having to dial in every other day ,
One day low , the next bubbling up .
I have that exact skimmer sitting Back in the box it came in ,
After using for less than a week .
Well I appreciate your help, I'll let it run/annoy me for now hopefully it gets better as time goes,

Thanks for the help

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back