Bubble magnus curve 5 issues

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the bubbles/air buildup underneath the skimmer? Will that go away when it broke in?
Mine has bubbles underneath it as well, but they're not hurting anything. If you have an especially dirty rock shake it around in the skimmer compartment

Attachments

• EF1CD94B-D3C4-409A-BC6C-E6D4595CC5C0.jpeg
    EF1CD94B-D3C4-409A-BC6C-E6D4595CC5C0.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 46
  • 2DC04D2E-DD42-489B-BB1B-5ECA2B574619.jpeg
    2DC04D2E-DD42-489B-BB1B-5ECA2B574619.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has bubbles underneath it as well, but they're not hurting anything. If you have an especially dirty rock shake it around in the skimmer compartment

Yeah I assume they are not hurt anything but I can hear when the air builds up and let's out a big bubble ***GLUG** it's annoying, also I'm not sure if you watched the video I posted but mines probably 100 times more bubbles then that lol

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question, the skimmer seems to leak tiny bubbles out the air intake by the pump (see picture)

And it builds up big bubbles underneath it that I can hear every 15mins or so surface is this normal? Did I set it up wrong?
232029-bubblemagus-curve5_-proteinskimmer-an.jpg
The only bubbles with mine are around the mixing plate and up. You may want to check the assembly since it's all just slip fit. Also the mixing plate needs to be oriented correctly. The instructions with these take a bit of translation since obviously English isn't the first language of the author.

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only bubbles with mine are around the mixing plate and up. You may want to check the assembly since it's all just slip fit. Also the mixing plate needs to be oriented correctly. The instructions with these take a bit of translation since obviously English isn't the first language of the author.
So how should the mixing plate be oriented? I don't think I have the instructions anymore since they were virtually useless, I used youtube to assemble it and even that was very vague

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how should the mixing plate be oriented? I don't think I have the instructions anymore since they were virtually useless, I used youtube to assemble it and even that was very vague
The holes in it go away from the pump outlet fitting. I don't remember exactly but it seemed it could go different ways. I went mostly from the illustration.

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The holes in it go away from the pump outlet fitting. I don't remember exactly but it seemed it could go different ways. I went mostly from the illustration.
Thanks I found the instructions online, when I get home from work I'll try messing with it yet again lol, I didn't think this protein skimmer would be so frustrating haha

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I found the instructions online, when I get home from work I'll try messing with it yet again lol, I didn't think this protein skimmer would be so frustrating haha
I can tell you they are super sensitive. This morning I fed as usual. The skimmer had a nice head of foam before I started. I quit turning off the return since I have a basement sump and stopping it makes for a lot of drama. I do pause the gyre pumps and put in a half cube of mysis and a patch of nori for the foxface. Go downstairs and it has immediately dropped down to about 3/4 inch of boiling water again. After some time it starts making foam again. Does it every time I do the feeding routine even though the return is running the same and zero change in water height. It's like it's possessed or something. LOL

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you they are super sensitive. This morning I fed as usual. The skimmer had a nice head of foam before I started. I quit turning off the return since I have a basement sump and stopping it makes for a lot of drama. I do pause the gyre pumps and put in a half cube of mysis and a patch of nori for the foxface. Go downstairs and it has immediately dropped down to about 3/4 inch of boiling water again. After some time it starts making foam again. Does it every time I do the feeding routine even though the return is running the same and zero change in water height. It's like it's possessed or something. LOL
Well I turned changed the mixing plate orientation and it solved the huge bubbles building up and stopped some of the small ones tho there is some still,

BUT lol still overflowing like crazy I'm going to let it go, hopefully it breaks in sooner then later haha thanks man

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind just heard a bubble release *GLUG* lol oh well I'm done messing with it,

Note I messed up its in 7.5inches of water and I can raise the sump level(red sea reefer 170 sump)

Hopefully it will want to wprk soon

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took my curve 5 elite about a month to break in and actually work properly. To stop it from overflowing I have it set to MIN(I put mine together backwards on purpose so the dial made sense to me), and ran it in about 5 inches of water.

It now sits at 8 inches and set to 5. Works like a champ with no complaints from me. Pulls nice thick green skimmate. I will say it's very finicky when feeding mysis(oils in the shrimp), so I simply shut it down during feeding, and turn it back on after a half hour or so.

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took my curve 5 elite about a month to break in and actually work properly. To stop it from overflowing I have it set to MIN(I put mine together backwards on purpose so the dial made sense to me), and ran it in about 5 inches of water.

It now sits at 8 inches and set to 5. Works like a champ with no complaints from me. Pulls nice thick green skimmate. I will say it's very finicky when feeding mysis(oils in the shrimp), so I simply shut it down during feeding, and turn it back on after a half hour or so.
Good to know it's not just me. We feed frozen mysis and that kills the head of foam. I though it was from shutting off the gyres. I'll have to try shutting the skimmer down also.

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update,

Skimmer still overflowing on any setting,

Skimmer still bombing my DT with micro bubbles,

I feel like this is a longer than normal break in period

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update,

Skimmer still overflowing on any setting,

Skimmer still bombing my DT with micro bubbles,

I feel like this is a longer than normal break in period
Just set it and leave it. It will settle down eventually the more you mess with it the longer it will take

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. Mine is working even better now too. No restriction on the air and knob set on 1.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back