Bubble Magus Curve 5 overflowing even at 6" height?

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same skimmer. Have you tried simply letting it overflow and let the output collect in a bigger bucket? I did when mine was overflowing like crazy and it poured out about 4 gallons of colored water before it stopped overflowing. I filled my ATO reservoir with mixed saltwater so that as the skimmer was dumping out gross water, fresh water was coming in. Use a white bucket so it's easier to see.

Best case it's clearing out a ton of organics for you. Worst case you do your weekly water change this week and you end up in the same spot.

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have found that seems to work for me is put your skimmer in distilled white vinegar on the highest setting and let it run for about 3 days straight.

Rinse all of the components and let it air-dry for 2 days put it in the sump and it works

Ffelrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Older thread but also a question on the Curve 5. There is a tube that comes out of the skimmer cup. There is a plug that is in that line. When I have that in and the line is plugged, it overflows like crazy. When I unplug the line, there is a steady stream of water which empties from the cup, but it maintains a good level of micro bubbles inside of the cup. Am I supposed to leave this line unplugged? Thanks!!

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cup is used to collect the skimmate (the nasty organic stuff you don't want in your tank). The attached hose can be used to empty the collection cup of the waste without removing the cup from the skimmer. In your case you will want to leave this closed unless you have it draining into a larger collection container. While dialing in the skimmer, you want the bubbles in the main reaction chamber to come up to the lower part of the neck of the collection cup.

Ffelrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, I have it draining back into my Filter sock. Not sure how to adjust it so it’s plugged and it doesn’t overflow the cup. I have it set to the minimum flow setting. The dkimmer is new but has been running for 3 months. I think it’s through the initial breakin period, but ?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MAX setting on a curve 5 is letting the maximum water flow out of the skimmer body, so it’s actually the minimum setting as far as skimming goes. I know it’s counterintuitive, but to turn your skimmer down to the lowest setting, move the dial to MAX. Then let it run for a while and see if that slows it down.

Last edited:

Ffelrod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Argh. So, after about a week and a half it’s still overflowing. It’s sitting in about 9.5” of water. Think I should raise it up so it’s only sitting in about 7”?

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuts. Mine was brand new.I ran it fully open for 2 days then dialed it in. It sits at 8.5" and runs like a champ. I've had it a month

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to run my curve 5 in about 5-6 inches of water for it to work correctly/not overflow. I would try raising it up an inch at a time until you hit the sweet spot.

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When there over flowing has any water treatments been used they send the skimmers crazy,also if it’s had a vinegar bath will probably need bedding in again

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
mine did that for about 24hrs when i first used it. After that it has calmed down and skimmer very nice and mine is in about 8.5" water.
It did start to go mad crazy when I did a filter sock change with a brand new sock and it did that for about 6+ hours. Since then i pre-washed all my new socks and hasn't overflowed since.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back