Bubble Tip Anemone - In acclimation process

Jimjam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Bubble tip anemone that I'm currently acclimating. It is currently attached to a small rock. Should I try to get the rock off before I put it into my aquarium? I'm thinking I should, however except for a possible hitchhiker, would it be OK to leave it on when I place it in my aquarium? I've heard they will most likely move around anyway. Picked it up from a local reseller.

Thanks.

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use a coral dip with the nem and the rock, you should be good but it is likely that it may move. I would put it (with rock attached) in the location you want it or you could try to gently use your thumb to lift it off.

Upvote 0

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo I would leave it on Rock and it will move off it and you can remove the rock if not wanted . If you try and remove it your self you could damage the foot which can end up a big issue or death . Can I ask how old your tank is also I get the bag up to temperature then drip until salinity is the same in the bag as in the tank . Then place into the tank . Other people may say just put it in . But I have always dripped anemones and never had problems.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jimjam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 6 plus months old. Has 2 piesces of live rock & live sand. AquaScape has gotten quite a bit of coralline algae. Have 4 small colonies of Zoa's & one Blasto. Wanted the anemone to see if my two clowns will host it. Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jimjam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been temperature acclimating for an hour. Just started to add some of my water to its bag. Still curious if I should coral dip the anemone? Thanks to both of you.

Upvote 0

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about misleading you. I am more of a lps than softy person. I assumed all softies were able to be dipped.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use a coral dip with the nem and the rock, you should be good but it is likely that it may move. I would put it (with rock attached) in the location you want it or you could try to gently use your thumb to lift it off.
Pretty sure you're never supposed to use coral dip on nems.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jimjam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all. I now have a different BTA question. I hate to ask, however I've looked all over for an answer to no avail. Shows how much I don't know, but I'm asking anyway. After I introduced my anemone, he discarded the rock that was on his foot. Went to back on my tank & all seemed well. This morning he is in a cave at the bottom of my tank, with two of my Trochus snails around him. They almost seem to have him boxed in so he can't move to another maybe better suited place to get some light. Should I move my snails? Or leave the situation alone? I hope the anenome is not on hsi last legs. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all. I now have a different BTA question. I hate to ask, however I've looked all over for an answer to no avail. Shows how much I don't know, but I'm asking anyway. After I introduced my anemone, he discarded the rock that was on his foot. Went to back on my tank & all seemed well. This morning he is in a cave at the bottom of my tank, with two of my Trochus snails around him. They almost seem to have him boxed in so he can't move to another maybe better suited place to get some light. Should I move my snails? Or leave the situation alone? I hope the anenome is not on hsi last legs. Thanks.
leave it, snails will not keep the anemone from moving. hes getting used to ur lighting hell come out of the shade slowly but surely

Upvote 1

areohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some would say 6 months is too early to be adding nems to your tank. Of course some people have had success doing it that early with really stable conditions.

I would not move anything that can move. Why, they can simply move back to that spot at anytime. Let nature take its course. Just monitor the nem closely. If your tank parameters are not stable, your nem will deflate and die. If that happens, you want to make sure you remove him asap.

Upvote 0

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo I would leave it on Rock and it will move off it and you can remove the rock if not wanted . If you try and remove it your self you could damage the foot which can end up a big issue or death . Can I ask how old your tank is also I get the bag up to temperature then drip until salinity is the same in the bag as in the tank . Then place into the tank . Other people may say just put it in . But I have always dripped anemones and never had problems.
Do you dip the nem? I’m getting a bubble tip from a coworker. My tank is 2.5 years old. He usually sells to the LFS that I buy from

Upvote 0

areohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dip the nem? I’m getting a bubble tip from a coworker. My tank is 2.5 years old. He usually sells to the LFS that I buy from

Never dip nems. Nems are not corals. They are inverts and just with any other invert, you never dip. Drip acclimate, yes. Dip, no no no. (Mutombo voice)

Upvote 0

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people get them up to temperature then put them in. What I do is float the bag in the tank for half an hour open the top of the bag and check the salinity in the bag to what your tank is . Then drip your tank water into the bag for a hour or more slow drips . Try and get the salinity in the bag the same as your tank or close . Then put your nem in and get rid of the bag water. It will move but leave it alone and it will find its happy place . Also no feeding at this moment. It may go and hide in a hole don’t worry I have had them hide for 3 weeks just leave it alone to settle.And it may deflate when lights out and open up with lights on don’t worry the anemone is new to your tank and water again let it settle in . This is what I’ve done with every anemone I own and I have never had a problem. Other members may have other methods but this works for me . Have you got a drip line to use a length of air line with a knot in it slow slow drips into your bag .
Also I have never dipped a anemone ever as above said don’t do it

Upvote 0

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity shock stresses anemone that’s why i have dripped all my 27+ anemones and not lost one but this is only my opinion

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back