Bubble Tip Anemone Won't Eat

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rose bubble tip anemone in my tank that won't eat. It was very nice colored and healthy. Now it's small and lost some color. It moves around a lot and I can't get it to eat anything. I've tried mysis, krill, silversides, pellets and it won't eat any of it. When I give it the food it grabs on for a second and then lets go. Any suggestions on what to do here?

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm what lighting and how long have you had it?

With it moving around its obviously not happy with something.

I am assuming that all of your levels are normal. So that just leaves lights and flow in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm what lighting and how long have you had it?

With it moving around its obviously not happy with something.

I am assuming that all of your levels are normal. So that just leaves lights and flow in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone

LED lighting. It's the Evolution 120w leds, same as over my 75 gallon. I've had the nem since July. It posted up in the middle of a rock and one day moved and went down the drain to the sump. It hasn't been right since. It comes out into the light but everyday it's in a different spot. The tentacles are very short and nubby now. There is another RBTA in the tank with it that sits right under the light and looks healthy to me.

Do any clowns host in it?

There is a pair of clowns in the tank that move from one anemone to the other.

Last edited:

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you stick your fingers in the tentacles do they stick to your fingers? If not then the nem is not healthy. A dieing anemone will reak havoc on your system.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you stick your fingers in the tentacles do they stick to your fingers? If not then the nem is not healthy. A dieing anemone will reak havoc on your system.

No. Neither does the other nem in the tank.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticky tentacles are a sign of health for nems, not definitive test but it is a good one. Not sticky means will not take food (for the most part), it shouldn't stick like glue but you should feel it.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the pumps off last night and dropped some pellets right on it's mouth. It ate about 3 pellets. How often should I attempt to feed it? It's sitting in the light but not direct light.

I felt both nems and neither is sticky to me. I really can't even feel anything when I touch the tentacles. The other nem looks fine to me but I'm no anemone expert.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually don't feel stickiness from BTAs, so I wouldn't worry about that. As for feeding, mine didn't really eat until it was really happy. Sounds like a stressed nem, I guess the best is to just give it time.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually don't feel stickiness from BTAs, so I wouldn't worry about that. As for feeding, mine didn't really eat until it was really happy. Sounds like a stressed nem, I guess the best is to just give it time.

+1. My Rbta took off when I switched from mh to led even when they were at 30%. My rbta has been with me well over a year and survived a nitrate bloom and alk drop. My Rbta usually only takes food 1-2 a month and it's usually scallops enriched in garlic. My ritteri (same DT) eats 2-3 times a week and it's usually whatever it can get (scallops, mysis, angel cubes, blood worms, even once was hair algae). Btw, my rbta has never split or never has had a sticky touch. When feeding it, I thaw out whatever and give it a good soak. After this, forceps bring the food down and place it right near the mouth. I try not to touch it with my bare hands (reason for forceps) because it will retract quite rapidly and not close on food. Using the forceps, I gently move the food until the nem starts to close in. Both of my nems are fed the same way.

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not feed mine in 2 years it gets its food from whatever is in the water as well as the lighting and the clowns that host under it. its gone from a golf ball to a soccer ball wish it would split so i could attempt to remove half :)

bpark32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a BTA two days ago. It is sprawled out and looks happy...on the bottom side of a rock. Still gets some light, but not being the focal addition to my tank that I thought it would. Should I flip the rock? Not sure how I'm gonna feed it with it being upside down.

Sent from my GNex using Tapatalk 2

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a BTA two days ago. It is sprawled out and looks happy...on the bottom side of a rock. Still gets some light, but not being the focal addition to my tank that I thought it would. Should I flip the rock? Not sure how I'm gonna feed it with it being upside down.

Sent from my GNex using Tapatalk 2

IMO, flipping the rock will cause it to move again and again. Don't try feeding it and let it roam until it finds it's ''happy'' spot. Once there, it'll open up towards the light and allow feeding. GL

bpark32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, flipping the rock will cause it to move again and again. Don't try feeding it and let it roam until it finds it's ''happy'' spot. Once there, it'll open up towards the light and allow feeding. GL

Cool. Thanks!

Sent from my Sourcerized GNex using Tapatalk 2

bpark32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my bible tip has been doing well for quite awhile...ate yesterday, and appeared to be happy. This is what I found this morning...
uploadfromtaptalk1354463454369.jpg

Wondering if I should remove it or wait it out.

Sent from my Sourcerized GNex using Tapatalk 2

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also wait it out. It does not look dead. I would check the water parameters to make sure the water quality is good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back