Bubbles appearing in the tank seam! Am I out of options?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some backstory. This is my third large reef in this spot, both others were lost to poor manufacturing. The tank is a Planet Aquariums 125 gallon rimless, set on a maple stand that has been leveled, and the tank has been in this spot for nearly two years now. I haven't noticed the bubbles until tonight, just a few hours ago. The biggest bubble is near the edge of the glass in the middle of the seam. The lumpy area of silicone in picture 4 is directly across from the biggest bubble (picture 3), and if I press the spot, I can see the bubble change shape. There's also a slightly ragged area in the corner that has been there since day one.
I'm about to mark the glass to measure growth, is there anything I can do to hold back the spread, or will I be able to save the tank?
This is just about the worst time for this to happen. My sister just went into early labor and my family may be flying overseas to care for her.
Does anybody have contacts for Planet Aquariums manufacturers?

@Joe Glass Cages I'll tag you here since you've got experience with glass aquariums.

Reall hoping this can hold for a bit. I've yet to tell any of my family, everyone is distressed enough as it is. Thank you so much and God bless you.
IMG_2985.JPG IMG_2986.JPG IMG_2987.JPG IMG_2988.JPG IMG_2994.JPG

unchin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like they might have been there the whole time. I had bubbles expanding in my old rimless a few months before replacing it and it never actually leaked before I got it replaced. Definitely just measure it or use a sharpie to see if they're expanding, if they're not expanding, then I wouldn't worry too much.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I wish it were that easy. I'm not currently working and I'm broke from Christmas. I hope the warranty hold up.
I feel you .. this hobby isn't cheap either.

Always something $$$..... can't get enough of it though. I definitely would be concerned bro. Imagine sleeping and you hear the loud crash from the seams giving up. Maybe not not this week... or next week. But next month, or the month after that?

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you .. this hobby isn't cheap either.

Always something $$$..... can't get enough of it though. I definitely would be concerned bro. Imagine sleeping and you hear the loud crash from the seams giving up. Maybe not not this week... or next week. But next month, or the month after that?
Thanks. I'll keep a close eye on it.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
A lot of people in my area are selling used Waterboxes and Red Sea's. You should look to see if you can find someone else's treasure if you can't come up with the retail prices $.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please circle the air bubbles in question. Hard to see. The fact that you can move the air bubble around by pushing on the glass is scary. I would break the tank down and Reglue it if I saw that.

you said the tank or stand is level but have you checked recently or only after install?

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please circle the air bubbles in question. Hard to see. The fact that you can move the air bubble around by pushing on the glass is scary. I would break the tank down and Reglue it if I saw that.

you said the tank or stand is level but have you checked recently or only after install?
I checked the level as soon as I noticed the bubbles. The floor is naturally tilted towards the wall behind it, so there was a very slight trend in that direction, but i was completely consistent.
I'll circle the bubbles real quick.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to your build thread to see your tank and it’s beautiful I’m very sorry for your struggle.
I didn’t see any bracing on the tank and it looks like a five or six footer yea? Maybe that’s why she’s loosening at the seams

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to your build thread to see your tank and it’s beautiful I’m very sorry for your struggle.
I didn’t see any bracing on the tank and it looks like a five or six footer yea? Maybe that’s why she’s loosening at the seams
Five footer, rimless.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was the air bubble in question. This looked like a leaker.
E0FA8AEA-E073-4181-B81C-DDDB4929DA57.jpeg

this next one here looks benign to me, almost like it was here since manufactured.
1640672917648.png

1640672967680.png

this last one here scares me a bit. I would keep a close eye on this one. You may be able to cut the glue out and clean it, to then squeeze more caulking in there and redo or repair that area. Normally a leak on a frameless requires a break down and a complete reglue. This tank would benefit from some added kick plates or euro bracing top and bottom.
In your shoes I would weigh out these two options.
1-Leave it and pray it doesn’t get worst or leak.
2-Replace or repair.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, don’t start freaking out until you know the bubbles are getting bigger which would indicate an increasing problem vs one that can wait until you get back.

It looks like the bubbles are on the lower half of the tank. If that’s the case, I’m not too surprised since that gets the most stress.

Second, if there is a way to reduce the water level and still keep the tank “alive” until you get back, do it.

Last ditch effort would be to use some ratchet straps to hold it temporarily. Be careful not to over tighten it and use cardboard at the corners to protect the glass.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back