Budget coral to add color

baldislife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total newb here. I have had my evo 13.5 up and running for a few months with some fox coral, 2 Duncans, candy cane and a mushroom along with 2 clowns and some live rock. I am stock with exception of a Fluval nano light upgrade.

I am enjoying the hobby and the constant learning. Right now I really want to add some color to the tank on a budget. I am currently considering an acan, Florida recordia, yellow hammer or a rock wall flower. I am trying to avoid Zoas based on a promise I made to my wife regarding anything potentially harmful in the tank. Any suggestions as far as sub $40 frags to consider? I will attach a photo of my setup as is. When I set it up the rock work I didn't realize how much free space I left above the rock so that is also a consideration as well. TIA.

13BC8D94-2104-4713-BCDF-45514B884BBD.jpeg 6C434BD5-0DC4-4471-8E91-0F55D39932BA.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total newb here. I have had my evo 13.5 up and running for a few months with some fox coral, 2 Duncans, candy cane and a mushroom along with 2 clowns and some live rock. I am stock with exception of a Fluval nano light upgrade.

I am enjoying the hobby and the constant learning. Right now I really want to add some color to the tank on a budget. I am currently considering an acan, Florida recordia, yellow hammer or a rock wall flower. I am trying to avoid Zoas based on a promise I made to my wife regarding anything potentially harmful in the tank. Any suggestions as far as sub $40 frags to consider? I will attach a photo of my setup as is. When I set it up the rock work I didn't realize how much free space I left above the rock so that is also a consideration as well. TIA.

13BC8D94-2104-4713-BCDF-45514B884BBD.jpeg 6C434BD5-0DC4-4471-8E91-0F55D39932BA.jpeg
Honestly Im the most accident prone person ever, my boyfriend said the same about zoas, but me being me I got them anyway! As long as they are happy they are not dangerous, and it really doesnt take much to make them happy! I also consistently had to mess with them cause my turbo snail, bulldozer, kept knocking them off before my reef glue came in the mail. Just a thought! Thats where I really found my color pop. Acans too are good for color but they are an aggressive coral that needs to be placed away from others, they sting! Same with war corals, but they are super cool too. You could also consider a bubble coral, GSP, or pulsing xenia!

OP
OP
baldislife

baldislife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the suggestions! This kind of information sharing is what I love about R2R. So much good info I will research all of these suggestions

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A neon green toadstool could be an option. And I agree with alveopora and I know you’re trying to avoid zoas but I love them. Paly’s are the ones to really avoid.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back