Budget equipment for a fluval evo 13.5

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 100% necessary upgrade is the intank baskets imo. The stock sponge becomes a mess pretty soon. I cut mine up and used it as media in the baskets as well as filter floss, carbon, and the bio rings. Water clarity improved almost immediately when I switched it.
The stock light and flow were fine for me for a year and a half until I upgraded - as long as you don’t plan on keeping acros or other hard sps you’ll be fine.

Pale Morning1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree. I am running stock filtration, sponge is over a year old, in great shape, and I am very happy with the water clarity.
I guess my point is for what this tank is supposed to be stock works very well.

ED00ED60-0256-4CB0-BF0E-4E6CEDA0C601.jpeg

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree. I am running stock filtration, sponge is over a year old, in great shape, and I am very happy with the water clarity.
I guess my point is for what this tank is supposed to be stock works very well.

ED00ED60-0256-4CB0-BF0E-4E6CEDA0C601.jpeg
The tank may well work fine without the hole in ch2 being plugged but the filtration system is much more efficient with it being plugged. I found on mine with no filter media in that the water was coming through that hole just as fast as it was coming through the filter comb at the top. Surely that means that 50% of the water that goes through the return pump actually missed most of the filter media?!

Pale Morning1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed the sponge directly behind that hole so that didn’t happen. That area of the sponge actually gets the dirtiest. I clean the sponge every other week. I also clean the filter on the motor every other week. I have never had a problem with restricted flow.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank may well work fine without the hole in ch2 being plugged but the filtration system is much more efficient with it being plugged. I found on mine with no filter media in that the water was coming through that hole just as fast as it was coming through the filter comb at the top. Surely that means that 50% of the water that goes through the return pump actually missed most of the filter media?!
You can plug that hole without buying the InTank media baskets though. So, if you want to stick with stock filtration, just get in there and superglue a piece of plastic over the hole. But yes, absolutely do that.

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can plug that hole without buying the InTank media baskets though. So, if you want to stick with stock filtration, just get in there and superglue a piece of plastic over the hole. But yes, absolutely do that.
Agreed. It's a free modification with some super glue or silicone etc.

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had your evo. I heard of the lights running super hot or failing after a few months. Thanks for the info.
The lights run hot for sure. I used lid lifters to help. Tank surprised my by actually feeling warm. Tossed in some ice cubes for a cool down.

Really thinking about the kraken lid. I have a nice 30 watt led sitting in the closet. I have one on my EVO V and love it. Running at 50% blue and 25% white.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back