Budget Lighting: 54 Gallon Corner Softies/LPS?

astrick117

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Currently have a 54 gallon corner FOWLR with a very basic aqueon LED light. It is starting to die, so I'm looking for a replacement, but would like to upgrade to something that could support softies and LPS down the road.

I've looked at lights and was shocked by how expensive they have gotten vs 2.5 yrs ago when I still had my mixed reef.

Any suggestions that won't break the bank, but will support LPS?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
AquaCave Logo Banner
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Spare time

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
What are your tank dimensions?

When considering lighting for a mixed reef, one of the major factors to consider is spread and diffusion.

For example, a 55g that is 36" tall, will need a MUCH more powerful light than a 55g that is only 20" tall. You need to punch through a LOT of water to reach the bottom.

On the same line a 55g that is 12" tall, but spans 30 x 30 (for example) would need less powerful lights, but more of them to cover the larger footprint.

When considering lighting options, this is your start point, Cost is a close second, but if you don't know what you need, you can spend a lot of money for lights that will not fit your specific need.

AS

mjw011689

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Currently running the viparspectra on my 70 and everything seems to be growing just fine. Softies, rbtas, lps, even have a green slimer that won’t stop growing. Color is pretty good as well. I wanna say it’s like 120 on Amazon.

flashsmith

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Wow... definitely a possibility. Looks like people love them. I'll just have to see what kind of spread they have, but I like that it has multiple led groupings that are spread out
I'm running 3 on a 4 ft tank. I had 2 which was more than enough but I decided to try some SPS so I added the extra light. The app they use is the easiest one I've ever used. I have radions on another tank and the app is terrible.

OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
What are your tank dimensions?

When considering lighting for a mixed reef, one of the major factors to consider is spread and diffusion.

For example, a 55g that is 36" tall, will need a MUCH more powerful light than a 55g that is only 20" tall. You need to punch through a LOT of water to reach the bottom.

On the same line a 55g that is 12" tall, but spans 30 x 30 (for example) would need less powerful lights, but more of them to cover the larger footprint.

When considering lighting options, this is your start point, Cost is a close second, but if you don't know what you need, you can spend a lot of money for lights that will not fit your specific need.
Since it is a corner tank,its harder to measure than a standard rectangle. I believe the radius of the tank (from the back corner to one front corner) is roughly 27". From front corner to the other front corner, I think it is 39".

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm running 3 on a 4 ft tank. I had 2 which was more than enough but I decided to try some SPS so I added the extra light. The app they use is the easiest one I've ever used. I have radions on another tank and the app is terrible.
Any chance you have them hanging rather than using the mounting arm?

Avast

James5214

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I guess I'm looking for something basic but reliable. I don't need something with crazy programming or anything. I'm happy to buy used and would like to stay under $300 if possible.
AI prime is very good and has the app you can control the light with. Has ramp up ramp down. Night settings. I have it for my lps and softie tank.

What are all the ways you "filter" your reef aquarium?

• Chemical Filter Media

Votes: 188 47.4%
  • Skimmer

Votes: 327 82.4%
  • Natural Methods (rock, sand etc)

Votes: 341 85.9%
  • Algae Scrubber/Reactor

Votes: 53 13.4%
  • Rollermats

Votes: 68 17.1%
  • Filter Socks/Pads

Votes: 218 54.9%