Budget Lighting: 54 Gallon Corner Softies/LPS?

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 54 gallon corner FOWLR with a very basic aqueon LED light. It is starting to die, so I'm looking for a replacement, but would like to upgrade to something that could support softies and LPS down the road.

I've looked at lights and was shocked by how expensive they have gotten vs 2.5 yrs ago when I still had my mixed reef.

Any suggestions that won't break the bank, but will support LPS?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a fowler, those lights are still pretty cheap. I guess it all depends on what kind of features you care about.

OP
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does budget mean to you can I get a range.
I guess I'm looking for something basic but reliable. I don't need something with crazy programming or anything. I'm happy to buy used and would like to stay under $300 if possible.

OP
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a fowler, those lights are still pretty cheap. I guess it all depends on what kind of features you care about.
I don't need any fancy programming capabilities, just something that is basic but reliable and will adequately support the coral types I mentioned.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't need any fancy programming capabilities, just something that is basic but reliable and will adequately support the coral types I mentioned.

Ah I misread the post, my bad.

Anyway, how do you plan on mounting the light? (hanging vs arm)?

OP
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I misread the post, my bad.

Anyway, how do you plan on mounting the light? (hanging vs arm)?
No worries. I will probably create a custom mount to hang them since mounting on the tank would make it uneven given the corner shape

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your tank dimensions?

When considering lighting for a mixed reef, one of the major factors to consider is spread and diffusion.

For example, a 55g that is 36" tall, will need a MUCH more powerful light than a 55g that is only 20" tall. You need to punch through a LOT of water to reach the bottom.

On the same line a 55g that is 12" tall, but spans 30 x 30 (for example) would need less powerful lights, but more of them to cover the larger footprint.

When considering lighting options, this is your start point, Cost is a close second, but if you don't know what you need, you can spend a lot of money for lights that will not fit your specific need.

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running the viparspectra on my 70 and everything seems to be growing just fine. Softies, rbtas, lps, even have a green slimer that won’t stop growing. Color is pretty good as well. I wanna say it’s like 120 on Amazon.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... definitely a possibility. Looks like people love them. I'll just have to see what kind of spread they have, but I like that it has multiple led groupings that are spread out
I'm running 3 on a 4 ft tank. I had 2 which was more than enough but I decided to try some SPS so I added the extra light. The app they use is the easiest one I've ever used. I have radions on another tank and the app is terrible.

OP
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your tank dimensions?

When considering lighting for a mixed reef, one of the major factors to consider is spread and diffusion.

For example, a 55g that is 36" tall, will need a MUCH more powerful light than a 55g that is only 20" tall. You need to punch through a LOT of water to reach the bottom.

On the same line a 55g that is 12" tall, but spans 30 x 30 (for example) would need less powerful lights, but more of them to cover the larger footprint.

When considering lighting options, this is your start point, Cost is a close second, but if you don't know what you need, you can spend a lot of money for lights that will not fit your specific need.
Since it is a corner tank,its harder to measure than a standard rectangle. I believe the radius of the tank (from the back corner to one front corner) is roughly 27". From front corner to the other front corner, I think it is 39".

OP
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 3 on a 4 ft tank. I had 2 which was more than enough but I decided to try some SPS so I added the extra light. The app they use is the easiest one I've ever used. I have radions on another tank and the app is terrible.
Any chance you have them hanging rather than using the mounting arm?

OP
OP
A

astrick117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I actually saw that and ordered one, but now I'm concerned because I can't find a hanging kit anywhere. The only sites that have them are in Europe

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm looking for something basic but reliable. I don't need something with crazy programming or anything. I'm happy to buy used and would like to stay under $300 if possible.
AI prime is very good and has the app you can control the light with. Has ramp up ramp down. Night settings. I have it for my lps and softie tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.4%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back