Budget lighting options for a Evo 13.5

baldislife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am new to reefing and I have had a Evo 13.5 set up for a couple months. Very simple and everything stock; two clowns, fox coral, mushroom colony and some two Duncan. The stock light seems to be going bad as it's losing color and washed out for some reason. Not sure it's repairable so I am looking to purchase a new LED light. What is the best budget light? I am looking at the one listed below as it seems to be popular online or possibly the fluval nano. The AI prime is just out of my price range. I would remove the lid as well to make room for the gooseneck. Is that advisable with two clowns? I like the topless look. TIA
FB189672-538D-4F21-942A-7AD800A50B88.jpeg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This light is the best I've seen for the money. Ive had it running only blues on a fluval flex. The only knock on it I can think of is its not the easiest to program, no app or anything. But it's 100w, will grow any coral in that sized tank, has 5 channels and all the day cycle options You'll need.

Screenshot_20230321_231853_Brave.jpg

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the noopsyche K7 mini has been getting rave reviews. I run an Ai prime 16hd on my 13.5 but would have totally tried the noopsyche had it been available.

Subliminal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Olonmv. I put an AI prime on my 13.5, but only because I got the light and the arm for $175 on Facebook marketplace. I was planning on getting the Noopsyche K7 Mini before I found that light.

But you have many options:

1. Fluval Marine LED bar is recommended by some. It's a lot like the stock light, but programmable, and retains the stock hood.
2. Used AI Prime. My recommendation, as you set it up with a profile and it does the rest. And it looks AMAZING on the tank...shimmer, blues, all that.
3. Noopsyche mini. I have no experience, but it is supposed to be a great light (with some wifi issues...but who cares, once its programmed i can't imagine that you need to access the light very often...my AI was set it and forget it.
4. I personally would avoid the no-name chinese knockoffs based on the availability of the three above.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The k7 mini does look like a nice light. 60w with 3 channels. It's on sale right now for $100 I believe I saw on their site. If it were me I'd jump on that one

Subliminal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, as an aside, I think you'd be fine without a lid with clowns. I could be proven wrong, but that's how I plan to run. They don't strike me as very athletic. ;-)

Also, that being said, in my tank with the lid off and the AI Prime, I have to top off 1 liter a day...pretty much on the money...lot of evaporation. With the lid it was like 1/4 of that.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, as an aside, I think you'd be fine without a lid with clowns. I could be proven wrong, but that's how I plan to run. They don't strike me as very athletic. ;-)

I wouldn’t know how athletic my clown is mostly because I have a home made top and don’t know if she’s ever attempted a jump. It’s a screen kit with black vail as the screen. It’s worked great for me for the past couple of years. But I will say this. One morning I was doing my daily dosing before lights on and, I’m pretty sure my Oc clown slept swam into chamber one. It wasn’t a jump but more of a hard swim out of the water into the chamber. She usually sleeps by the weirs.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can't find one I will go with the k7
Good plan. I actually prefer the K7 over the AI Prime, have both. Can't go wrong with either. Might get a bit worse light spillage with the K7, but hard for me to say because I use a huge diffuser/shade on my prime.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back