Budget Lighting

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to set up a 20 gallon long in the next few weeks. I had planned on getting the Hipagero light which was a really good deal. Bad thing is it’s not available at Amazon anymore. What are some other options in the $50 to $100 range.

Here is the link for specs: HIPARGERO LED Aquarium Light – Aquarium LED Lights 30W Saltwater Lighting with Touch Control and 3W Cree Chips for Coral Reef Fish Nano Tank

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,yep ,agree viperspectra ,way to go,lots of threads on here ,pros and cons,settings,pros outweigh the cons. happy reefing

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went this way on my Evo 13.5. Also got the programmable timer to pair up with it. Ramps up sunrise and sunset. Blues and days are 2 sep channels. My corals seem very happy.
8768E02C-EC43-4F0D-AE50-3C47125EC3F4.png

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly most of the low end black boxes on Amazon are the same. And theyre all fine, the anti-black-box stuff is the result of an interesting psychological phenomenon among buyers of expensive lights, not an actual problem.

When I'm buying black boxes on Amazon I just look for
1) separate plugs for blue and white channels
2) a spectrum with fewer reds and fewer warm whites

I don't think its very useful to obsess over brand names since there are so many different Chinese companies selling this stuff under a huge variety of constantly changing names. Instead I think of black boxes as a commodity. Its probably been a different company name every time I've ordered black boxes.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly most of the low end black boxes on Amazon are the same. And theyre all fine, the anti-black-box stuff is the result of an interesting psychological phenomenon among buyers of expensive lights, not an actual problem.

When I'm buying black boxes on Amazon I just look for
1) separate plugs for blue and white channels
2) a spectrum with fewer reds and fewer warm whites

I don't think its very useful to obsess over brand names since there are so many different Chinese companies selling this stuff under a huge variety of constantly changing names. Instead I think of black boxes as a commodity. Its probably been a different company name every time I've ordered black boxes.
Brs did a video the only black box that uses a heat sink is viperspecter. I be it only covers half the lights. Thats why I recommend that for a black box.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a huge difference between the 30 watt light and the 165watt Visparspectra in terms of PUR.
30 watts might grow softies, maybe some LPS.

Lighting is second only to water chemistry, make sure you have the correct intensity and colour spectrum.

I use three Visparspectra 165watt, 4 years now, still running as new.

You can always turn higher intensity down,

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back