Budget Mixing Station, thoughts?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently buying RODI and Saltwater from my LFS. Having issues with high alkalinity, and my LFS is using a high alk salt (Red Sea Coral Salt Pro). Want to start mixing my own salt water, to gradually bring the alk down. Will still buy RODI from them. Was trying to go a budget route. Appreciate any feedback. Mixing salt water seems vert basic, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Also, looking for for a go to salt mix, any suggestions. Small tank with softies. Maybe some LPS down the road.

Gear list:

• 20 gallon Rubbermade brute trash can
  • Hygger pump to move water from trash can to 5 gallon containers. Plan to mix 10 gallons at a time.
  • Cheap Powerhead - given the very minimal price difference between the the different GPH options, any reason to not go with the highest GPH option. Thinking it would mix faster with tons of flow.
  • Do I need to heat the water for the salt to mix properly? I'll be mixing in my basement which will be around 65 degrees.

Thanks,

Jib

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only heat the water once you plan on using it. Usually different salts have instructions on that.

You could also just mix it when needed. The standard red sea salt mixes very quickly and at a lower alk.

What alk level is problematic for you?

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only heat the water once you plan on using it. Usually different salts have instructions on that.

You could also just mix it when needed. The standard red sea salt mixes very quickly and at a lower alk.

What alk level is problematic for you?

My Alk level was 13.7. Been doing some water changes, Have it down to around 12.7. But the SW i have is a fairly high Alk mix so its not coming down very fast. Need top mix my own to get it down a little faster.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk level was 13.7. Been doing some water changes, Have it down to around 12.7. But the SW i have is a fairly high Alk mix so its not coming down very fast. Need top mix my own to get it down a little faster.

Ah, that is higher than the red sea coral pro mix. Maybe the premixed it with a bit too much salt?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently buying RODI and Saltwater from my LFS. Having issues with high alkalinity, and my LFS is using a high alk salt (Red Sea Coral Salt Pro). Want to start mixing my own salt water, to gradually bring the alk down. Will still buy RODI from them. Was trying to go a budget route. Appreciate any feedback. Mixing salt water seems vert basic, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Also, looking for for a go to salt mix, any suggestions. Small tank with softies. Maybe some LPS down the road.

Gear list:

• 20 gallon Rubbermade brute trash can
  • Hygger pump to move water from trash can to 5 gallon containers. Plan to mix 10 gallons at a time.
  • Cheap Powerhead - given the very minimal price difference between the the different GPH options, any reason to not go with the highest GPH option. Thinking it would mix faster with tons of flow.
  • Do I need to heat the water for the salt to mix properly? I'll be mixing in my basement which will be around 65 degrees.

Thanks,

Jib

My setup is the same, just a bigger brute. I preheat the water to 72 or above before mixing. I use the transfer pump also to mix, put a 3 foot hose on pump and both in brute.
Next step is to get a rodi setup.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, that is higher than the red sea coral pro mix. Maybe the premixed it with a bit too much salt?
Thats the working theory. I had a couple of threads about the issue and no one had any thoguths it could be that high any other way based on what I have been doing. One big thread theme was to start mixing my own salt for better control.
My setup is the same, just a bigger brute. I preheat the water to 72 or above before mixing. I use the transfer pump also to mix, put a 3 foot hose on pump and both in brute.
Next step is to get a rodi setup.
Yeah, I'm taking baby steps. Would like to do my own RODI as well but I have some other things to tackle first.
What size tank?
14 gallon. Givewn the small size I'd prefer to continue buying from my LFS due to how economical it is...but its probably better in the long run just to mix my own.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 gallon. Givewn the small size I'd prefer to continue buying from my LFS due to how economical it is...but its probably better in the long run just to mix my own.
Unless you plan on upgrading to a larger tank soon, the 20 gallon brute should be fine. You could even get away with a 10 gallon mixing container at this point.

Connorw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two 44 gal brutes. I make rodi straight into one, and each has two cheap pumps from Amazon. They came with barb fittings on them and I have vinyl tubing attached to both and have a barbed on off valve on the end of each, also from Amazon. So far it’s been a great way to move and mix water. I have a small power head in the salt mixing bucket with a heater, but that would depend on your salt mix. I’d recommend the Amazon pump and vinyl tube route as a nice and easy way to move water.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two 44 gal brutes. I make rodi straight into one, and each has two cheap pumps from Amazon. They came with barb fittings on them and I have vinyl tubing attached to both and have a barbed on off valve on the end of each, also from Amazon. So far it’s been a great way to move and mix water. I have a small power head in the salt mixing bucket with a heater, but that would depend on your salt mix. I’d recommend the Amazon pump and vinyl tube route as a nice and easy way to move water.

Great, sounds about like my plan minus the making my own RODI. Appreciate the comments.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back