OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
05/23/23 Overall things are going very well! Ive been adding a frag or two each weekend and everyone seems to be happy. Heres some pics! Sorry for the quality, have an older iphone and am forced to take white light only photos so the colors are all turned bland. You should get the gist though.

1684883593672.png
1684883769215.png
1684883750382.png
1684883784360.png

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking list right now is...

Pygmy Filefish (Amazing fish reccomend anyone get one with a smaller tank)
Tailspot Blenny
Pink Smith Damsel
Watchman Goby
Cleaner shrimp
trochus/nassarius/mini-cerith snails
couple scarlet hermits.

Will probably add one more fish down the line but for now Im enjoying watching everything grow and get comfortable.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
04/23/23: Found an amazing new lfs. “Love of reef” in Wilmington MA. Have everything you could want. Tons of corals and fish and all the dry goods you would ever want. Left with a new friend. Was sold to us as a ‘pink smith damselfish’. Super active and healthy looking. Ours seems more colorful than some of the other pictures online. Weary of damsel aggression but ill take it as it comes. For now he will be a fine first addition.
Funny, I was there this weekend.

good shop. I forgot about them, but I noticed my lunchbox (so what I take a lunchbox to work) was from them, like 5 years ago.

gave me a GSP frag too!

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano (I think) is starting to pop up in a couple area of my tank. It's not that bad, I usually just turkey baster some rocks and the sand every day when I get home but maybe I should adjust some levels to try and kill it. Maybe dose some beneficial bacteria?

Took a little break from adding corals and livestock. I think I would like to add one more fish eventually. Current list is a pink smith damsel, pygmy filefish, watchman goby, and tailspot blenny. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home yesterday and my filefish was acting strange. Just the day prior he was readily eating and seemed fine. He just attaches himself to random places in the aquarium and seems to have trouble swimming now. I noticed a small nick in his tail which i thought was the damsel at first. Today i noticed my damsel getting cleaned by my shrimp for the first time. How cool!….

Only for it to click in my head just now that i am dealing with flukes or some parasite and not an aggressive damsel. I remember noticing my blenny rub against rocks Which i thought was just weird eating behaviour. Got up out of bed and gave the filefish a ro bath to help him through the night. The other fish don’t seem as bad yet. Will pickup prazipro tmrw and begin treatment

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like he is on his way out sadly. :downcast-face-with-sweat:Flukes really did damage quickly on him. I dosed the tank today with prazipro.

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to euthanize him last night. Sucked as he was my favorite fish. Recommend them to everyone.

Now have to refocus on getting the tank back in shape since there is an algae outbreak from the Prazipro and some of the corals are annoyed. :confused-face:

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing great! Coming on 3 months now of being cycled and adding corals and fish. Livestock is as follows

- Pink Smith Damsel
- Watchman Goby
- Tailspot Blenny
- Scarlet Shrimp
- 2 trochus, 1 turbo, 2 hermits, and a ton of dwarf ceriths+ a couple bumblebees
- Corals so far are a galaxae, 2 zoas, 2 gorgonians, 2 mushrooms, GSP

Everything happy and healthy. Had an issue last month where I lost my filefish to flukes but i treated the tank and I seem to have beat it. Glass is coated with pods and Im starting to get coralline on the back glass so I think I must be doing something right. I think the biggest thing is just weekly 10% water changes to restore trace elements and clean the tank. I have been dealing with a bit of a cyano problem since the flukes issue but I'm going to keep up with my water changes and see if I can beat it without introducing chemicals.

I have a shipment that should be shipped next week from Dr reefs quarantined fish with a Azure damsel, carpenter's wrasse, and a pistol shrimp. That should pretty much do it for fish and inverts. Have my eyes on setting up a nice zoa garden after that. Upgrading my iphone this fall so hopefully I can post some better pics for you guys to see!

reef.jpg

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble tip anemone still behaving kind of oddly. not that I would know because ive never kept one. Was all balled up and closed yesterday afternoon when i got home but then when I wokeup today and checked the tank with the lights off it was open. Where these guys are partially photosynthetic that kind of surprises me. I just got my second Prime 16hd that I will be setting up today to eliminate the shadows so I guess we will see how he likes that.

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a fancy new Iphone 15 in a few weeks so by then I will be able to post some new pics. Until then here are some random things that have happened.

My RBTA slowly shrunk and died. Just could not seem to find a spot for himself and was moving all along amongst my magician zoas. (Who strangely seem now worse for where). Likely my tank was not mature enough, it was in a bad spot, and my tank husbandry had floundered more on that later.

My magician zoas are doing incredible and have gone from like 5-6 heads to 10-12 now in the span of a few months. Definitely my favorite coral for their size, color, and growth rate.

Over the last 2 months I neglected my tank by skipping weekly water changes. This showed by huge algae outbreaks and suffering corals. My RBTA didnt make it and my galaxy and hammer corals had started retracting and dying. Did a larger (for me) 20% water change several weeks back and physically moved and scrubbed all my equipment. Of course everything has sprung back to life and looked great since. Galaxy fully open and sending sweeper tentacles again. Hammer perking up...I think it also had to do with a lack of adequate flow as I cranked that up a little bit as well. Going forward I simply need to maintain at least a 10% change weekly. With physical scrubbing and cleaning every 4-6 weeks.

My Fish are all doing great. I have a Black cap basslet, carpenter's wrasse, watchman goby, azure damsel, and a tailspot blenny. Literally nobody fights...ever...which I don't think I've ever had that experience in my 15 years of keeping tanks. I will likely be moving into a proper home for the first time and out of a condo in the next several months so will work on convincing the gf to let me upgrade to a 120 from a 40g. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

The next several months I am going to be looking to add several more types of zoas and watching my tank mature more. I think my flow and lighting could be further fine-tuned.

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still kicking! Finally beat dinos after eons of work. Lost several corals, lost and rehomed a couple fish too. Currently have a pair of clowns, black cap basslet, watchman goby, and a tailspot blenny. Doing manual scrubbing of the algae now and dosing bacteria and feeding more to keep away the dinos. GHA has broken out but it's much more manageable compared to dinos so i dont care. Anenome is thriving and found the perfect spot. I have since moved the toadstool from this picture which it is still ticked about and wont open yet. Acans are doing great too.

I've been slacking with my testing and ordered more PHO/Calcium/Alk tests to do weekly tests to get everything in check. Testing and dosing laziness is probably the last piece of the puzzle to get me to be a decent reef maintainer. I tested Alk last week and got an 11 which seemed high but not high enough where I was super concerned about it. Maintaining PH in the winter is a struggle in my condo as the room is closed off and windows are closed. I used to dose kalk but my LFS friend convinced me to stop running it. Idk...might go back to it. Moving to a new place this year so perhaps I may upgrade to a 120g!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still kicking! Finally beat dinos after eons of work. Lost several corals, lost and rehomed a couple fish too. Currently have a pair of clowns, black cap basslet, watchman goby, and a tailspot blenny. Doing manual scrubbing of the algae now and dosing bacteria and feeding more to keep away the dinos. GHA has broken out but it's much more manageable compared to dinos so i dont care. Anenome is thriving and found the perfect spot. I have since moved the toadstool from this picture which it is still ticked about and wont open yet. Acans are doing great too.

I've been slacking with my testing and ordered more PHO/Calcium/Alk tests to do weekly tests to get everything in check. Testing and dosing laziness is probably the last piece of the puzzle to get me to be a decent reef maintainer. I tested Alk last week and got an 11 which seemed high but not high enough where I was super concerned about it. Maintaining PH in the winter is a struggle in my condo as the room is closed off and windows are closed. I used to dose kalk but my LFS friend convinced me to stop running it. Idk...might go back to it. Moving to a new place this year so perhaps I may upgrade to a 120g!
Glad to see you beat dinos!

OP
OP
Budman93

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7805.jpeg

Got my new reagents in! Pleasantly surprised by most everything. Salinity i try and target 1.025 but came in a little below. Everything else seems fine. Phosphate maybe a little high. I struggle with ph that’s probably like 7.8. Relying on the cheap color tests for that.

Question though i checked my alk maybe last thursday and it was 11. Normal for it to drop about a point in five days? I dont yet have a mag checker yet but i am assuming it is probably fine…i dosed all for reef a couple times and i like where im at now. How often do you guys dose something like that to keep levels stable?

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back