bugs on monti

Kizreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a monti cap that became almost entirely white, but has suddenly started coloring up. Over the last few days a perfectly white patch with no color whatsoever has appeared in the corner and there are what look like copepods on it. I see the same shaped organism all over the rocks in my tank. No one else seems to have any issues. Are these harmless copepods? Can I do anything to stop this apparent dying spot on my Monti?

Thanks,
Anne

IMG_7788.JPG IMG_7792.JPG IMG_7793.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7794.MOV
    19.6 MB
  • IMG_7795.MOV
    7.8 MB

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti eating Nudibranchs , god I see one in your pics . The bugs are probably pods .
In the second picture about 4 a clock of the white patch I clearly see a MEN .

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what you look for usually under the montipora. It’s the snow flake between my fingers ( notice how small it is ) . I terminated them .

B4BD0F85-71A3-46E8-B8D2-44C00FD5DFD1.jpeg

Zero1091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+100 on the monti eating nudibranch. I can clearly see it.
Those little things cause big trouble for montis.
I had them and it took 1 month to eradicate them fully.
They destroy your montis and prevent further growth. They come out at night but can usually find them on the undersides of the coral especially caps.
I got rid of them by dipping my all my montis at the same time every 2-3 days or so. I used Coral RX and a syringe to help blow them off.
I did that Until I no longer saw any including using a tooth brush to scrub under them to remove any eggs.
Ugh....that was a dark time....

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a toothbrush, a powerful baster, and a very strong magnifying lens. And don’t forget super glue.
1 inspect with a lens
2 bast the adults off
3 hard toothbrush the area
4 super glue everywhere they may be to smother them
Repeat as needed. Btw if you search the site you will find MEN are now resistant to all dips . Physical removal is all that’s left . MEN are a top tear pest .
Good luck

OP
OP
K

Kizreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nightmare. I have looked and I see about 10. It is difficult to impossible to get my corals out of the tank to dip. If I put my VroIiks wrasse back in the tank (he has been in QT but is ready to return) and siphon them out (will that work?) each night, do I have a chance of eradicating them? I have a sunset monti, a rainbow monti and a purple monticap. Are they going to move to all of them?

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a top tear pest . The worst of the worst . They will and probably have spread to the other montipora especially caps . Brake the monti off the rock , or remove them together. Get to the 1234 . wrasses are cool to . I see a vid we’re a guy uses a water pick to blastem off .

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just paid 80 bucks for one and put it in the tank yesterday and thanks to this thread I just looked and I am pretty sure I see them. So great! Do they only eat monti pora or will they go after my other corals??

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti eating Nudibranchs . They can go LONG time without montipora in the aquarium. And the eggs are so small the naked eye might not see them.and the eggs are impossible to kill with dips .

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back