OP
OP
mr.salty

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank / project. Interests me a lot as I also have a chipboard stand (and can't believe it can hold my tank even though I saw it with fish too). So I will be trying to reinforce mine - I think I will just wedge some wooden posts under just to give it slightly more support (as I am not handy at all). I love the quality of everything you have so far. well done

Thanks for the kind words!

To be honest I’m no engineer myself but i didn’t want to be laid awake at night thinking the tank was going to end up all over the floor!

The later of chipboard that the tank sits on should be more than strong enough once you have braces underneath with some supports. Just make sure they are a nice, tight fit and go all the way to the floor.

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words!

To be honest I’m no engineer myself but i didn’t want to be laid awake at night thinking the tank was going to end up all over the floor!

The later of chipboard that the tank sits on should be more than strong enough once you have braces underneath with some supports. Just make sure they are a nice, tight fit and go all the way to the floor.
Eeeek - mine is sitting off the floor about 2 inches - ahhh so I am either going to have to cut holes in the base piece or risk it;)

I was just starting out researching this project when I went to look at the tank and I thought "ok so I get a tank and stand so I don't have to worry about that". Now that I know more I realise it's a little risky and now you tell me the supports need to hit the floor. It seems like every time I am getting comfortable with my project it becomes more difficult ;)

I am really grateful for your comment - it's much better to know now than find out later - so thanks!

On the plus side if I did cut out that base board it would make it much easier to get a skimmer in and out - so I am happy about that;) It's therefore something I should do for more than 1 reason (which is a good thing). My brother thinks I may be better off to remake the whole stand - it's starting to get closer to the point where that becomes easier ;)

OP
OP
mr.salty

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eeeek - mine is sitting off the floor about 2 inches - ahhh so I am either going to have to cut holes in the base piece or risk it;)

I was just starting out researching this project when I went to look at the tank and I thought "ok so I get a tank and stand so I don't have to worry about that". Now that I know more I realise it's a little risky and now you tell me the supports need to hit the floor. It seems like every time I am getting comfortable with my project it becomes more difficult ;)

I am really grateful for your comment - it's much better to know now than find out later - so thanks!

On the plus side if I did cut out that base board it would make it much easier to get a skimmer in and out - so I am happy about that;) It's therefore something I should do for more than 1 reason (which is a good thing). My brother thinks I may be better off to remake the whole stand - it's starting to get closer to the point where that becomes easier ;)

All depends on how big your tank is too, I just felt having a tonne of water plus 200kg+ of glass didn’t feel right having it on a glorified kitchen cabinet! Haha

But if it is a smaller tank and the cabinet is well designed then I’m sure it will be fine

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on how big your tank is too, I just felt having a tonne of water plus 200kg+ of glass didn’t feel right having it on a glorified kitchen cabinet! Haha

But if it is a smaller tank and the cabinet is well designed then I’m sure it will be fine
Well it's a 450L tank so yeah - it's big enough to make me worry. Still it probably will be fine as it is - but the more I can do to reinforce it the better I will sleep and especially if those reinforcements don't take too much effort and have benefits it's worth doing. I have a long way to go in this build so I will let it stew in the back of my mind - also if a friend has the tools and can help me that's also a factor - we will see - but thanks - your build and comments are definitely very helpful to me ;)

OP
OP
mr.salty

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a massive update but I decided to change the location of the apex unit and the power outlet.

7f40314d7158c747516820508ead5271.jpg

2995e24e0d7218647c5fcd6ef366a019.jpg

I have then cleaned the tank up ready for the overflows to be fitted once my pipe have arrived tomorrow all being well.

85afec362d72b1f2420fc96455634eeb.jpg

91195bfa05431882ce575489a5e6a3b9.jpg

9f599c6516f652403b70554a66767221.jpg

6d5739e18564f372b3a4572ad0a1c3e9.jpg

Another job I need to finish off it the idea for the lighting, I have removed the top part of the lid and kept the rim so when your viewing the tank it doesn’t look any different, I will then mount the xr30’s from the roof to I can get them spaced and mounted at the correct height

41fa996243ee335f9eb5f0bb14cc4488.jpg

Tomorrow I will be fitting the bottom half of the overflows and bulkheads.

OP
OP
mr.salty

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a large step forward today, I managed to mount the lights using some alloy rail and wire rope etc.

Not quite as elegant as the OEM hanging kit but I wasn’t buying two or four of them at £38 each!

4c7a43ce209b2047b3faa3fdc535958f.jpg

I then plumbed the manifold feed pump, mounted the manifold and plumbed the inlet for the skimmer.

6151fa993753299a83a9b7cd5d101758.jpg

3c6ef225f3800327db1aea19ebae46e7.jpg

I have also made some durso standpipes as that is the only method I can use with the holes already drilled in the aquarium, I chopped the T piece and elbow down to make them more compact so I had room for my Return pipes:
Before and after.
18f93a64bc3b1c4ad65e32c0e0f71cb9.jpg

And fitted

0b8b57b3e685600b2de9c7040f470fc7.jpg

Also fitted the bulkhead and coupled pipework with a small alteration where I glued a 45 elbow on to get it to flow towards the sump, the original pipework went through a bulkhead in the sump but I am using that for my skimmer return so I will have to make the pipe go uphill an inch to then return into the top of the sump, I doubt this will hamper the flow too much.

2290dc4c6ef1bb87fbab9d2c9af120ba.jpg

OP
OP
mr.salty

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to get itchy feet as such about using jebao pumps in my build, I currently have my brand new dct12000 for sale and probably will have my dcp6500 for sale also.

The question is what to go for instead?

I have EcoTech lights but I don’t like their return pumps as the outlet plumbing is a pain but it would connect easy to my apex.

Was thinking about reef octopus vario-s pumps to match my skimmer pump but then the largest pump they offer is 7500 LPH which doesn’t have enough redundancy for my liking.

Was thinking about using a AC sicce or eheim but I do like the DC playability and feed modes.

Any suggestions? Price isn’t really an issue although I would prefer to keep costs down, just want a properly reliable pump setup.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m a bit late but firstly welcome to R2R!

Great build thread you have here and thanks for all the pictures.

Following along with interest now!

OP
OP
mr.salty

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m a bit late but firstly welcome to R2R!

Great build thread you have here and thanks for all the pictures.

Following along with interest now!

Great to have you onboard and thanks for the welcome!

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to get itchy feet as such about using jebao pumps in my build, I currently have my brand new dct12000 for sale and probably will have my dcp6500 for sale also.

The question is what to go for instead?

I have EcoTech lights but I don’t like their return pumps as the outlet plumbing is a pain but it would connect easy to my apex.

Was thinking about reef octopus vario-s pumps to match my skimmer pump but then the largest pump they offer is 7500 LPH which doesn’t have enough redundancy for my liking.

Was thinking about using a AC sicce or eheim but I do like the DC playability and feed modes.

Any suggestions? Price isn’t really an issue although I would prefer to keep costs down, just want a properly reliable pump setup.
Seeing as no one answered...
Isn't the Varios 8 10,000L/h? They have the best reviews on BRS (unless you go the Abyss). Apex only have the COR20 on 110V.

I would stick to using the 2 Jebao pumps - then you have redundancy I guess (depending on how you plumb them) and if one goes then you can upgrade. Who knows there are new pumps coming online all the time and I think a lot of new ones recently but I would wait till they prove themselves if you are spending more money than the Jebao's.

I will probably go with the Aqua Nova pump for my build - Polish brand (not sure if in the UK) - They are around the same price as the Jebao's but I can get them locally for that price and they have the guarantee. I thought about using an Ecotech with the backup battery (but read the reviews and we don't have backouts here so I can do a cheaper backup) and considered the Cor20 (I may get the US Apex and use a transformer) but I figure I am paying more for the brand and would miss the guarantee. I'm on a tight budget anyhow so spending 3X for a pump doesn't make sense (it may when it fails - but I am sure I could pick up another one fast).

OP
OP
mr.salty

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as no one answered...
Isn't the Varios 8 10,000L/h? They have the best reviews on BRS (unless you go the Abyss). Apex only have the COR20 on 110V.

I would stick to using the 2 Jebao pumps - then you have redundancy I guess (depending on how you plumb them) and if one goes then you can upgrade. Who knows there are new pumps coming online all the time and I think a lot of new ones recently but I would wait till they prove themselves if you are spending more money than the Jebao's.

I will probably go with the Aqua Nova pump for my build - Polish brand (not sure if in the UK) - They are around the same price as the Jebao's but I can get them locally for that price and they have the guarantee. I thought about using an Ecotech with the backup battery (but read the reviews and we don't have backouts here so I can do a cheaper backup) and considered the Cor20 (I may get the US Apex and use a transformer) but I figure I am paying more for the brand and would miss the guarantee. I'm on a tight budget anyhow so spending 3X for a pump doesn't make sense (it may when it fails - but I am sure I could pick up another one fast).

Thanks for the info, this all makes perfect sense and for the price I could buy another two jebao return pumps and still have money left than buying one vectra L1.

I seem to of been caught up with the whole “controllability” of the dc pumps via my apex but end of the day apart from the feed function and setting the pump speed you aren’t going to be playing with it all the time on apex.

OP
OP
mr.salty

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today I started making room for the saltwater mixing station and plumbing the RODI unit. I started by finishing the water supply to the garage, it’s definitely function over form!

8c12eec20d39a26d55eac3e5ab1f68cc.heic

Got the RODI unit and diaphragm pump mounted to the wall and stacked the IBC’s ready for plumbing.

81de17156c43cc4588e82621e37e6ca5.heic

98849a9111f5ef61282c16181dd15fd0.heic

Think I will make a wooden platform for the second IBC to stand on so that I can get to the top cap of the bottom tank as that will be where I add my salt and possibly the route I will take for the circulation pump return that will then split into two separate pipes to aid flow into a circular motion.

Can’t decide on what pump to use as it will have to turn over 600 litres of saltwater and I don’t want any dead spots. Anyone have any ideas for a simple AC pump that provides brilliant head pressure and around 12000 LPH??

OP
OP
mr.salty

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates are happening thick and fast at the minute, just a Shame about the poor photography!

The plumbing on the tank is 99% done now so I decided to test out the sump and external skimmer, so far everything is working flawlessly and the panel I replaced on the sump is holding Water just fine.

My latest delivery from Charterhouse aquatics arrived which included 200lb of Caribsea Life Rock and 100lb of Caribsea aragonite sand and three tubs of salt which I hope will be enough for a while! I also decided to go with three Neptune WAV pumps and two 600w shego heaters.

68cf09022ffb1ec993d4e85a18c72350.heic

I have also 99% completed the wiring which just needs tidying up now after a thorougher shake down to make sure everything works and has the ability to be replaced with ease.

acdacefe7a65f423a043ca77fe94879d.heic

The rest of the wiring and apex is inside the skimmer cabinet with drip loops.

Last night I finished the rock work and added the sand so I could start filling the tank only to find out my RODI booster pump is not developing any pressure so I am on the hunt today for one.

75895a743032a350a3ed1d2f8348734d.heic

187e0db840941018b81e7efddd9d6326.heic

Have gone for a natural look where I haven’t had to secure anything with glue incase I need to get in and remove any of the rock. Currently has an arch to the left hand side and two towers to the right which I think looks great although iPhone pictures don’t do this justice.

Just got to align my pump returns and carry on with the saltwater mixing pipework as my external pump has arrived along with a few heaters and controller.

OP
OP
mr.salty

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not updated the build in a while but on Monday I took a trip to Vyair in Horncastle to buy a new booster pump for my RO/DI unit, whilst I was there I grabbed a low pressure switch, auto shut off valve and an auto bypass valve to get rid of TDS creep. This along with my high pressure switch and float valve and I hopefully have a fully automated RO/DI system!

f77c776852111351b78970c72dee3e98.heic

88931ccf6f95a7cd70376a1613514a9d.heic

67dcf461bb808ef082480452c241d206.heic

f69c679697529161b0b22896686d3d40.heic

Excuse the wiring as I need to wrap it up and tie wrap the rest of the mixing station wiring once it has been proven but I have finished the PVC pipework and installed the DCP15000 pump and Twin 600w Eheim heaters controlled by a dual controller. This will be controlled as and when I’m needing it and with the filling system it should allow for quick water changes, I am looking at getting this setup powered by my apex and then have ATO valves that can direct water to the main display.

c3299ea9a5aa6e59d378995c31c843b4.heic

Have also cut out a hole to add salt and where the wires exit the saltwater tank.

4f1d2e439e8b2f11d7f69c001c573fc6.heic

I have some videos to upload when I can figure out how with progress with the main display!

OP
OP
mr.salty

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as promised here are a few videos of the tank.

Yes it’s REALLY noisy but I need to tune the standpipe height and hole in the top. I also need to move the probes as they are out the water a lot when the return is running and the whole system needs a little more water.

Had a couple of leaks from old O rings but all sorted and couldn’t be happier, still along way to go but we are getting there!

And here are a couple of videos of just the three WAV pumps, I couldn’t be happier with these and there is plenty of flow, in fact at 100% flow they are creating vortexes in the tank and whirl pools in the middle!

OP
OP
mr.salty

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have left this for far too long without updating so thought I would crack out the vlogging equipment and give you some videos instead, as we all know people love videos!

I have started with my saltwater mixing station and will discuss the tank later today when the lights come on. Any questions or if you want more videos just ask as this one was a one shot type deal and a little ropey to say the least.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have left this for far too long without updating so thought I would crack out the vlogging equipment and give you some videos instead, as we all know people love videos!

I have started with my saltwater mixing station and will discuss the tank later today when the lights come on. Any questions or if you want more videos just ask as this one was a one shot type deal and a little ropey to say the least.

That’s a serious mixing station you have there and great video, so many thanks for sharing this with us, very nice indeed.

And yes of course we want more! Lol

I quiet like the look of the IBC water tanks for storage and the volumes they can handle.

OP
OP
mr.salty

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another little video for you guys to take a look at.

Just an update with a few little changes that I will be going into more details later on in another video.

OP
OP
mr.salty

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suppose i had better start updating this build thread more often! not a great deal has changed apart from some more livestock and issues with this been a new tank. Before i list all the inhabitants that i currently have to keep you guys upto date i have had my fair share of problems to overcome. The main issue with the tank is that although parameters are stable i am still 99% positive that i am still leeching silicate out of the rock and sand. I cannot remember what i have spoken about on the tank since the last video above but i currently have three neptune WAV's and a XF250 gyre on the tank, i have tried to keep the flow around 50x turnover including the sump which has been so far sucessful. The problem is that although i thought my 1-3mm sand would hold up to high flow it was still slowly moving and forming dunes in the tank which always required scraping back on a regular basis, this wasnt a problem as it was helping to keep the substrate turned over and clean but i had mini whirlpools forming in the front corners of the tank so this had to be rectified to stop a snow globe from forming! I have since added crushed coral in some of the higher flow areas which again hasnt helped with the phosphate/silica issue but i am holding the tank where it is progress wise until everything settles down and i can then add more corals. My aquaforest af150 reactor has to be honest been rubbish, it is high maintenance and the seal in the top lid has already gone hard so most of the flow enters the top of the reactor and doesnt flow down the inlet tube. this coupled with difficulty obtaining spares and the sponges getting clogged very easily has led to poor nutrient control. I have since swapped that out for a D-D reactor which is way better and with a smaller footprint has opened up more space in the cabinet. I have also started to test the effluent from the reactor to keep a better track on my phosphates but so far so good! Apart from those few issues though the tank is doing good and everyday is a school day!

so here is the list of livestock i have:

2 common clowns
7 blue/green reef chromis
9 wreckfish (lyretail anthias) 2 male and 7 female
5 bangai cardinals
1 purple tang
2 yellow tangs
1 foxface
1 black chin orange diamond goby
1 dwarf flame angel
2 cleaner shrimp
3 red leg hermits
10-15 various snails

3 acro frags (uncertain of names)
2 monti cap frags
1 gold/purple torch
1 duncan frag
1 green torch frag

stay tuned for more updates and pictures!

Last edited:
Back