build up above filter sponge

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, can someone please tell me what the build up on the surface of my tank is, I'm pretty sure it's from the surface being way more stagnant due to a breeder box breaching the surface of the water. Also there is a thicker spot above my filter sponge and I think it's there because of the stuff on the surface being pushed toward the slits in the back of the tank because I had to lower the breeder box into the tank to let my clownfish back in allowing the water flowing back in to push it there. So is any of this a problem, am I correct, and does this need to be removed. Thank you for the help (pictures attached below).
IMG_2703.JPG
IMG_2704.JPG

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second picture looks like precipitation? Are you dosing alk/calc? Do you know what their levels are at?

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not dosing anything, I don't even have any corals yet nor do I test for either level

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm out of guesses unless it is the crud that came in with your salt mix? Are you using Reef Crystals? I believe they add clay to the salt to keep it from clumping and it sometimes causes films similar to what you have in mixing containers.

OP
OP
Fish?

Fish?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm out of guesses unless it is the crud that came in with your salt mix? Are you using Reef Crystals? I believe they add clay to the salt to keep it from clumping and it sometimes causes films similar to what you have in mixing containers.
No I don't use reef crystals, but I don't think it's a problem I just stirred it up and never saw it again

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back