Building a 1600 Gallon DEEP Bioshock aquarium!

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since he hasn't logged in since April, I would say this was a bust. I hate to say it. I was pulling for this to be completed.

I wonder what percentage of builds, especially plywood, don't ever see completion? The bad part is we don't know because they just stop. At least come back and say "I enjoy it so much I am never getting on a computer again! Peace out!" or "It was an epic failure. So much so that even the dog left me. Good bye reefing community!"
I get it. If I had such a big project fail I would not be in a rush to come back and talk about it.

The use of silicone seal on acrylic, and other design issues that were mentioned in this thread made me cringe. I came to it late, and wondered how come no one had pressed the builder earlier on some of these finer points of the design instead of focusing upon the image to be used for the background?

IIRC some people use silicone on acrylic viewing windows for sealing purposes if they have some other method of actually holding it in place right?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the amount of pressure on the acrylic, the silicone is just a gasket. It has been done many times without leaking.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially i considered concrete but its been done. I wanted to push the limits of construction and show a deep tank can successfully be made out of wood and moreso OSB and 2x4's. There are quite a few people who believe plywood is the only way to go. I enjoy proving naysayers wrong haha When its finished ill pop a bottle of champagne and have an open house for ya!
I wasn’t going to try to convince him to do anything after this comment

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The use of silicone seal on acrylic, and other design issues that were mentioned in this thread made me cringe. I came to it late, and wondered how come no one had pressed the builder earlier on some of these finer points of the design instead of focusing upon the image to be used for the background?

Many people did, on his clone thread on other forums, myself included. And we all got either evasive answered, uneducated responses or outright “this is the way I’ve decided to do it, you just can’t think outside the box”.

I personally lost interest in it until now when he stated he was sourcing a GPO egg from a friend in Pittsburgh. When I queried it, his answer was just off-putting. Uneducated about the subject matter and it showed.

I remember over the several threads he had, every one of them basically called anyone who had valid concerns as ‘naysayers’ and ‘unable to think outside the box’. So I’m not very surprised that a bunch of people decided to stand back and watch the train wreck unfold.

I think it says volumes that there hasn’t been a recent update with a successful fill. Just the cynic inside me, I guess.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This
upload_2018-8-18_12-8-47.png
no ............ This
upload_2018-8-18_12-11-13.png
Yes

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people did, on his clone thread on other forums, myself included. And we all got either evasive answered, uneducated responses or outright “this is the way I’ve decided to do it, you just can’t think outside the box”.

I personally lost interest in it until now when he stated he was sourcing a GPO egg from a friend in Pittsburgh. When I queried it, his answer was just off-putting. Uneducated about the subject matter and it showed.

I remember over the several threads he had, every one of them basically called anyone who had valid concerns as ‘naysayers’ and ‘unable to think outside the box’. So I’m not very surprised that a bunch of people decided to stand back and watch the train wreck unfold.

I think it says volumes that there hasn’t been a recent update with a successful fill. Just the cynic inside me, I guess.

Thanks for setting the record straight on the other input that I missed, and was unaware of until your reply. This all makes more sense and reaffirms my faith in the R2R community as a generally helpful place for folks to share information and learn from each other. If I was a mod here I would be tempted to delete this train-wreck thread, but perhaps others might learn from it, who knows? And it just may be that down the road the repair update will follow and this will have a remarkably happy ending.

I share the cynicism, but I can hope for something better even when it seems likely that only divine intervention could fix a thing.

"Lord have mercy on us."

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[emoji106]

I wouldn’t delete it- like you said, it’s a valuable learning lesson and I think a valuable lesson in life in general. A lot of the time, people do things the way they do them not because that’s just how it’s done, but because that’s how it’s been proven to be successfully done. I’m all for pushing boundaries and expanding the frontier of the state of the art, but not taking advice from those skilled in the practice is just bad form.

Sure- take the advice and use your own experience to judge the validity of the advice and make a decision, but when you find yourself arguing with someone with 15 years experience and you make factually incorrect statements in your defence, it may be time to be a little more humble and admit you might be mistaken.

pompeyjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP deserves fairness. He/She should not be tried and judged by people making assertions without evidence. I hope it is working out for the OP. It was an interesting build. Like others I have concerns about the build, and I am interested to hear more from the OP in future.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP deserves fairness. He/She should not be tried and judged by people making assertions without evidence. I hope it is working out for the OP. It was an interesting build. Like others I have concerns about the build, and I am interested to hear more from the OP in future.

Maybe, but his attitude was kinda off. Not surprised people aren’t being more supportive. But to be fair, No-one wins if they are unquestionably supportive even when things are going south

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has no time to come on here posting. He is to busy training and watching his new Pet grow up,Try to escape and LOL At everyone who was laughing at him...

Maybe he has posted in that Other place........

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has no time to come on here posting. He is to busy training and watching his new Pet grow up,Try to escape and LOL At everyone who was laughing at him...

Maybe he has posted in that Other place........

Nope checked several places same story.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back