Building a 1600 Gallon DEEP Bioshock aquarium!

OP
OP
Karlotious

Karlotious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any Bioshock fans have any ideas as far as the background picture or decoration of the aquarium? I was considering getting a small big daddy or some plasmid bottles to scatter on the sand bed. While i like the current photo of Rapture as the background, i would really prefer a picture that is substantially more HD and really completes the illusion that you could swim through the bulkhead into the city.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to find some pics out there of a big daddy walking through an underwater glass tunnel.

OP
OP
Karlotious

Karlotious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im hesitant to use a picture that features anything that should be moving since it hinders the illusion. Originally i wanted the cityscape and planned on adding some flickering lights to specific windows so it seemed more realistic but being as the tank is so deep i dont want to add things that will require a dive to fix haha

OP
OP
Karlotious

Karlotious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an idea though. If i partially obscure the image via a bubble wall, etc a big daddy may look pretty cool

big daddy.jpg

bendeng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So any Bioshock fans have any ideas as far as the background picture or decoration of the aquarium? I was considering getting a small big daddy or some plasmid bottles to scatter on the sand bed. While i like the current photo of Rapture as the background, i would really prefer a picture that is substantially more HD and really completes the illusion that you could swim through the bulkhead into the city.
Maybe a view through the Big Daddy's helmet mask? With ocean view through the grid?

OP
OP
Karlotious

Karlotious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Ill post more pics this weekend when i finish the layers of epoxy :)

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Good luck with this build.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially i considered concrete but its been done. I wanted to push the limits of construction and show a deep tank can successfully be made out of wood and moreso OSB and 2x4's. There are quite a few people who believe plywood is the only way to go. I enjoy proving naysayers wrong haha When its finished ill pop a bottle of champagne and have an open house for ya!
Well I hope it all works out. Pushing the limits is a risky thing lol. Cant wait to see it done.

OP
OP
Karlotious

Karlotious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha i love the image mcmullen but the whale and fish not moving degrades the illusion. I do like the idea of using one of the underwater tubes though.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with a reef, you could always place high light demand corals up high and work your way down to NPS and sponges at the bottom.

You would need tomfigure out a way to ensure they are getting sufficient food, such as culturing pods and phyto, but that would be worth it in my opinion.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back