Building a 1600 Gallon DEEP Bioshock aquarium!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by Karlotious, Apr 25, 2017.

1. ReeferRoo

ReeferRoo Well-Known Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

I have never tried sealing edges that way, but it could work. I will add that we make "No Wake" signs and tidal gauges which often have some component submerged in saltwater and all of our permanent signage can be exposed to the elements, UV, Cold, Hot, wind, etc and they typically dont have sealed edges. I think my hesitation in saying "yeah, this will work" no problem...is that if in the event a sheeting or laminate de-laminates in the field, big deal they take the sign down and it is quickly redone...your application is...well...a little more permanent.

2. ReeferRoo

ReeferRoo Well-Known Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

I have never tried sealing edges that way, but it could work. I will add that we make "No Wake" signs and tidal gauges which often have some component submerged in saltwater and all of our permanent signage can be exposed to the elements, UV, Cold, Hot, wind, etc and they typically dont have sealed edges. I think my hesitation in saying "yeah, this will work" no problem...is that if in the event a sheeting or laminate de-laminates in the field, big deal they take the sign down and it is quickly redone...your application is...well...a little more permanent.

3. Karlotious

Karlotious Member

So question for anyone who has made styrofoam backgrounds! Do i need to completely paint the styrofoam and ensure complete coverage or can parts of the styrofoam be exposed to the saltwater? Im just trying to see how watertight i need to make the styrofoam as a whole. Im guessing it would absorb some water and expand if it isnt completely covered? Some insight would be great! Thanks!

4. Fudsey

Fudsey Jack of all trades R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I know @Lasse did a background on his tank. Maybe he can shed some light on the subject

Lasse likes this.
  5. Bulldog07

Bulldog07 Member Build Thread Contributor

I did a few for a couple of freshwater aquariums. Assuming saltwater is the same, short answer is yes, everything needs to be covered. I can send you some pretty good detailed instructions if you want, but they are definitely designed for FW and I'm too new at this saltwater thing to know if everything would be the same.

6. Lasse

Lasse Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

My background is constructed of polyurethane with a hard coating. The brand name is Back to Nature. Its common in Europe but I do not know if you have it in the states.

My experiences with Styrofoam is limited to FW.

However – I send a link of this thread to a friend that I think has some experiences with Styrofoam and SW

Sincerely Lasse

tj w likes this.
  7. Karlotious

Karlotious Member

The actual product is EPS foam: Expanded polystyrene. Im guessing ill just completely coat it to ease my mind haha

8. ludnix

ludnix Active Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365

I may have missed it, but how do you plan to keep the foam from floating? I worry about an eventual delamination of the foam if not heavily secured. Many foam rock walls suffered a destructive delamination back in the day on reef central. The whole build looks amazing and I look forward to the end product!

9. Karlotious

Karlotious Member

After coating it in the epoxy resin it will be siliconed to the bottom and sides and has rigid plumbing through it. Its also the perfect shape of the aquarium vertically so it basically has no where to float to haha.

CrabbyCorals and ludnix like this.
  10. ludnix

ludnix Active Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365

It sounds like it's not going anywhere then!

Karlotious likes this.
  11. Stigigemla

Stigigemla Active Member

Well, it´s me his thinking of. But I have not used foam plastic in reef aquaria.
    What I have done (and recommend) is to make it from cement with aragonite sand and course aragonite gravel.
    I reinforce it with glass fiber net, such as we use to prevent insects to enter the attic. Mesh with about 1 mm. Absolutly no metal.
    I put a plastic foil on the floor and spread out 1/4 inch gravel as thin as possible and cover it with usual cement sand water mixture.
    Then the net and a new layer. On the block is it now possible to put some chrushed coral 1 to 4 inches to make it more uneven and interesting.
    Do not use standard portland cement. It does contain chrome. It is called chromate reduced but the chrome is just bound to calcium with iron. And iron is popular amongst bacteria so i believe it might be a risk of getting chrome free from bacteria using the iron.
    Use white portland cement. It has naturally much lower chromium content.
    Dont use ready made mixes. They always have silicate sand an chromate reduced cement.
    When it is ready it must dry completly and then water it one or two times.
    After that it should be in a tank for a few weeks (rubbermaid?) with a few total waterchanges. (tap water)
    In that way you can build constructions looking exactly as on the real reef.
    I have a few now since 11 years and they look a bit as new. They are about 1/4 to 1 inch thicker now from calcium deposited from coralline algae.

12. Steven Bloor

Steven Bloor New Member

Hi all, first post for me, yay.

I subscribed to the forum for this project alone. The chatter has made great lunchtime reading and that tank is brilliant . I'll probably frequent the site often now, although don't have much to add in terms of knowledge, I will surely be lurking in the background during lunchtime reads. I'm dying to know how is the build coming along Karlotious. I'm on the edge of my seat.

I would love to see pics of the happy cephalopod camped out in rapture, maybe disguised as a big daddy!

best of luck
    bloorie

Karlotious likes this.
  13. Hitman

Hitman SPS Addictions are real!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

Any new updates?

14. Karlotious

Karlotious Member

Sorry hitman the next few months will probably be slow progress. Im trying to save up for the acrylic panels while paying off some debt. A little sacrifice in the short term unfortunately haha

Hitman likes this.
  15. Karlotious

Karlotious Member

Got a bunch of the sump this past week. Currently assembling the waterbridge. Will be testing it tomorrow. :)

IMG-4330.JPG

16. Wieloch89

Wieloch89 Active Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award 3RMAS Member Build Thread Contributor

Finally an update! Lol

Karlotious likes this.
  17. KyleC.

KyleC. Active Member R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member R2R Secret Santa

YES

neilp2006 likes this.
  18. McMullen

McMullen Valuable Member

KyleC. likes this.
  19. Hitman

Hitman SPS Addictions are real!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

Did you decide on your background?

Katrina71 likes this.
  20. 120reefkeeper

120reefkeeper Reef keeping with Military Precision! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Still following

Draft saved Draft deleted