Building a 1600 Gallon DEEP Bioshock aquarium!

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm that makes me think that it could delaminate if exposed to water. Im trying to have multiple redundancies just in case. I think this comes back to the problem i was finding before. Hot laminators (which would make the picture like a menu at a restaurant and thus waterproof) typically cant print past a certain width.. i think that is what i need though to be certain it wont be damaged. I could possibly heat the edges with something like a vacuum sealer after it has been cold laminated though... hmm

I have never tried sealing edges that way, but it could work. I will add that we make "No Wake" signs and tidal gauges which often have some component submerged in saltwater and all of our permanent signage can be exposed to the elements, UV, Cold, Hot, wind, etc and they typically dont have sealed edges. I think my hesitation in saying "yeah, this will work" no problem...is that if in the event a sheeting or laminate de-laminates in the field, big deal they take the sign down and it is quickly redone...your application is...well...a little more permanent.

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm that makes me think that it could delaminate if exposed to water. Im trying to have multiple redundancies just in case. I think this comes back to the problem i was finding before. Hot laminators (which would make the picture like a menu at a restaurant and thus waterproof) typically cant print past a certain width.. i think that is what i need though to be certain it wont be damaged. I could possibly heat the edges with something like a vacuum sealer after it has been cold laminated though... hmm

I have never tried sealing edges that way, but it could work. I will add that we make "No Wake" signs and tidal gauges which often have some component submerged in saltwater and all of our permanent signage can be exposed to the elements, UV, Cold, Hot, wind, etc and they typically dont have sealed edges. I think my hesitation in saying "yeah, this will work" no problem...is that if in the event a sheeting or laminate de-laminates in the field, big deal they take the sign down and it is quickly redone...your application is...well...a little more permanent.

OP
OP
Karlotious

Karlotious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So question for anyone who has made styrofoam backgrounds! Do i need to completely paint the styrofoam and ensure complete coverage or can parts of the styrofoam be exposed to the saltwater? Im just trying to see how watertight i need to make the styrofoam as a whole. Im guessing it would absorb some water and expand if it isnt completely covered? Some insight would be great! Thanks!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know @Lasse did a background on his tank. Maybe he can shed some light on the subject

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a few for a couple of freshwater aquariums. Assuming saltwater is the same, short answer is yes, everything needs to be covered. I can send you some pretty good detailed instructions if you want, but they are definitely designed for FW and I'm too new at this saltwater thing to know if everything would be the same.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know @Lasse did a background on his tank. Maybe he can shed some light on the subject

My background is constructed of polyurethane with a hard coating. The brand name is Back to Nature. Its common in Europe but I do not know if you have it in the states.

My experiences with Styrofoam is limited to FW.

However – I send a link of this thread to a friend that I think has some experiences with Styrofoam and SW

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Karlotious

Karlotious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual product is EPS foam: Expanded polystyrene. Im guessing ill just completely coat it to ease my mind haha

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it, but how do you plan to keep the foam from floating? I worry about an eventual delamination of the foam if not heavily secured. Many foam rock walls suffered a destructive delamination back in the day on reef central. The whole build looks amazing and I look forward to the end product!

OP
OP
Karlotious

Karlotious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After coating it in the epoxy resin it will be siliconed to the bottom and sides and has rigid plumbing through it. Its also the perfect shape of the aquarium vertically so it basically has no where to float to haha.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it´s me his thinking of. But I have not used foam plastic in reef aquaria.
What I have done (and recommend) is to make it from cement with aragonite sand and course aragonite gravel.
I reinforce it with glass fiber net, such as we use to prevent insects to enter the attic. Mesh with about 1 mm. Absolutly no metal.
I put a plastic foil on the floor and spread out 1/4 inch gravel as thin as possible and cover it with usual cement sand water mixture.
Then the net and a new layer. On the block is it now possible to put some chrushed coral 1 to 4 inches to make it more uneven and interesting.
Do not use standard portland cement. It does contain chrome. It is called chromate reduced but the chrome is just bound to calcium with iron. And iron is popular amongst bacteria so i believe it might be a risk of getting chrome free from bacteria using the iron.
Use white portland cement. It has naturally much lower chromium content.
Dont use ready made mixes. They always have silicate sand an chromate reduced cement.
When it is ready it must dry completly and then water it one or two times.
After that it should be in a tank for a few weeks (rubbermaid?) with a few total waterchanges. (tap water)
In that way you can build constructions looking exactly as on the real reef.
I have a few now since 11 years and they look a bit as new. They are about 1/4 to 1 inch thicker now from calcium deposited from coralline algae.

Steven Bloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, first post for me, yay.

I subscribed to the forum for this project alone. The chatter has made great lunchtime reading and that tank is brilliant . I'll probably frequent the site often now, although don't have much to add in terms of knowledge, I will surely be lurking in the background during lunchtime reads. I'm dying to know how is the build coming along Karlotious. I'm on the edge of my seat.

I would love to see pics of the happy cephalopod camped out in rapture, maybe disguised as a big daddy!

best of luck
bloorie

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new updates?

OP
OP
Karlotious

Karlotious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry hitman the next few months will probably be slow progress. Im trying to save up for the acrylic panels while paying off some debt. A little sacrifice in the short term unfortunately haha

OP
OP
Karlotious

Karlotious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a bunch of the sump this past week. Currently assembling the waterbridge. Will be testing it tomorrow. :)

IMG-4330.JPG

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you decide on your background?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back