Building a 30 Gallon Frag Tank... The Long, Slow, Right way

divetoday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first-ever tank build thread, but I am setting up a new frag tank and wanted to document the progress. FWIW, I've had lots of FOWLR tanks (since 1976!), but only got into reefing about 6 years ago.

Since then, I've suffered from an acute case of Impatient Reefer Syndrome (IRS), and run into all of the problems you would expect. Various issues with nutrients, tank crashes, pests and diseases. About a year and a half ago I started QTing all of my fish, but still wasn't QTing my corals or invertebrates. No disasters so far, but I want to build this tank "the right way" from the bottom up.

I picked up a sweet 30 gallon cube with tons of accessories from a fellow reefer who was moving to Nashville (thanks @serkel on RC!) This time, I swear, it's going to be different! ;)

So, I'm starting with the slow approach. I need to paint the bottom and back of the tank (first), and that will happen this weekend. Hope all have a great week!

OP
OP
divetoday

divetoday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to hear a lecture by Julian Sprung on hurricane preparedness and our tanks. I am beyond psyched!

OP
OP
divetoday

divetoday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to black-out the back and bottom of the tank, but decided to try a little bit different approach instead of paint.

I went to my local Fast Signs franchise and purchased 6 linear feet of 30" wide vinyl application. (I've worked with this material in the past when I was part owner of a sign shop.)

The concept is very simple:
  1. Clean the glass thoroughly.
  2. Tape one edge of the material on the edge of the tank to serve as a hinge.
  3. Fold back the vinyl material.
  4. LIBERALLY spray Windex onto the glass.
  5. Slowly start to remove the paper backing and fold/roll the vinyl onto the glass.
  6. Use a squeegie to remove air bubbles as you go. (This is the purpose of the Windex between the glass and the vinyl.)
  7. Use a hair dryer to lightly heat the material and finalize removal of all air/liquid bubbles.
The end result? Not bad, if I do say so myself!

IMG_0536.jpg IMG_0537.jpg

OP
OP
divetoday

divetoday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even my computer knows it’s time
19a2659b63e438fec65abc802de18e98.png

We’ve just finished painting and moving the office, and now all that’s left to be done is set up the frag tank (finally!!) After working all day this ad popped up! Yes, my tank really does need some nice stuff in it!

OP
OP
divetoday

divetoday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 months of cycling dry rocks, a move and a kitchen remodel, the frag tank has water. Waiting for my lights to arrive but had to throw a little refugium light on it and call it done for the day. I’ll test parameters tomorrow, but here’s what we’ve got so far folks.
ae58cfc4d89e91a5dbf642d91acced0c.jpg

OP
OP
divetoday

divetoday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. IMG_0786.jpg
Sorry Diamond1, like a lot of build threads, mine has gone quiet. My bad!

The tank is doing great, but definitely in the first year uglies. I'm running Chemiclean right now to get rid of a minor cyanobacteria outbreak, so that's the reason for the airstones. Right now I've got a pair of percula clowns, a pair of chromis (that were removed from my DT because of behavior problems), and a small damsel. Corals I'm trying out a couple of different frags to see how it's going. I'm getting good growth out of a monti cap frag, but got a couple of chalices that are struggling a little bit

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 31.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back