Building a Low-Budget Nano with Spare Parts

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all started when a friend getting out of the hobby gave me their old 32G Nano Cube. The glass is badly scratched, so the resale value was really low. After looking at it in my basement for a few weeks, I decided I could probably use my collection of stuff from years of hoarding saltwater equipment, plus my own 92g main tank to make a halfway decent dedicated anemone tank. I've always been obsessed with them, and about a decade ago I had a dedicated cube, but I'm lazier now.

Here is the tank and stand from the previous owner, along with some extra live rock from my sump. Mostly just getting a feel for what I want it look like right now, with my consultant fully engaged in the process.

IMG_20220108_105137.jpg

I filled the tank with old water from the main display and then replaced the rock and water as if it was a regular water change. I also put some egg crate on top to keep the cats from taking a dip.

IMG_20220108_120357.jpg

I have a lot of old LEDs from my previous tanks in the garage, so I set one up top. Good enough for day 1.

IMG_20220108_121220.jpg
IMG_20220108_121226.jpg

On day 2 I remembered how bad the evaporation is without a lid or an ATO. Down half a gallon over night. No spare ATO on hand, so I found a sheet of acrylic in the garage to keep the water where it belongs. Eventually I'll trim it, and maybe even add a cowl to hide the light from view, but for now it gets the job done.

IMG_20220109_125043.jpg
IMG_20220109_125116.jpg

After staring endlessy into my new creation, I decided to add another rock. I want every surface covered with anemones, so the more holes and shelves the better. I think I'm finally happy with the look. There's lots of rock, lots of holes, and lots of light. Should be a good home for lots and lots of anemones. And maybe a pair of clowns. We'll see. I have 2 in my display but they couldn't care less about BTAs. If I have some in here it will only be to watch them play in the anemones. And, IDK... Maybe some sexy shrimp? What else does this need?

IMG_20220109_154822.jpg
IMG_20220109_164500.jpg
IMG_20220109_164702.jpg

I am only running a heater and the 2 returns in back. Thinking I might do a DIY fuge in back, maybe add a powerhead up front or upgrade the pumps, IDK yet. But so far the only new money I spent was $4 on a thermometer, and I think I'm doing good for a weekend project. If anyone has suggestions, advice, etc. I'd absolutely welcome it. IF I really fall for this tank, I'll make it one of the future projects to polish all the scratches out of the glass, but right now I'm still trying to sell myself on it really. Get it running, get it stocked, get it pretty, THEN I'll spend a whole weekend breaking my back bent over this little water box. Or just save up for an unscratched one, whichever happens first. :)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This sounds like a great adventure! Nems like stability so an ATO (even a low cost gravity fed ATO) and figuring out filtration may be helpful. Good luck!

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a couple changes, so I figured I should make an update here.

I trimmed the acrylic - and I realized this is 100% not in my skillset! Also, it keeps warping, even when I raised the light about 3 inches of off it. IDK what I'm doing wrong but I have to flip it twice a week to keep it relatively sealed. But at least I don't bump into it anymore, so that's an improvement.

32g_Cover.jpg

I grabbed an old lamp and threw together a makeshift refugium with some cheato in back. Seems to work pretty well, but I wish it were bigger.

32g_Fuge.jpg

And lastly, I found I had a long-lost skimmer for a biocube! The air pump is a little noisy, but it does the job.

32g_Skimmer.jpg

Oh, and last but not least, I finally have a nem! I picked up a Heteractis Malu at my LFS. It's not much to look at but I love hard-to-find anemones, and these don't show up very often at all.

32g_Malu.jpg

Next up I'll be adding a good handful of BTAs from my main tank, and then the rocks will start looking good finally.

OP
OP
bradleym

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost the lid to this box (it used to be a holding tank for live mysis when I raised cuttlefish) but it works well for an ATO now. I am using a leftover mj1200 which is overkill, but it dumps into the back so a little extra water won't hurt by the tim it mixes.

20220221_083509.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back