OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, as I just ordered my Alanle regulator. It will be a good reference thread for how the parts are supposed to be assembled. Keep posting pics!!

You’ll love it... Alanle is the man! :)

More pics you say? :D Here is the first regulator I ever built with extensive guidance from Alan via PM on the other forum. It was a nickel plate brass Matheson dual stage regulator.

6F3FBA24-ED2E-4829-8F22-3E99D495F23C.jpeg
CB13EC85-818C-482A-ABF6-69DBABA86ED8.jpeg
278E7085-BA9D-48AD-9B64-AF95A71DA2AD.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my experience with that first brass Mathewson build, I kinda went all out for my personal regulator that I will be using for my reef tank once it matures. I went all out with a stainless steel Victor 160B dual stage regulator and even upgraded the gauges to glycerin filled stainless steel Wika gauges. Once I got sucked into the rabbit hold, it kinda morphed into a vanity project essentially. :D

602638E8-C586-46BD-8A28-667F1027B9CD.jpeg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing all the info/directions @Water Dog ! I'd comfortably say you've got the hang of it! ;)

@GoVols - Freddy, if you're looking to buy one, the link below has some nice units. I'm not sure who builds them but it would appear that they know what they're doing.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols - Freddy, if you're looking to buy one, the link below has some nice units. I'm not sure who builds them but it would appear that they know what they're doing.

I sure admire those, but I'm staying put with my GLA SS-Pro dual stage.

Thanks for the link.

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just wanted to give everyone an update on the regulator that I was building. Unfortunately during testing, it was discovered that the used Swagelok SS-SS2 metering valve from eBay was faulty. At its lowest setting, the minimum bubble count it could produce was 2 bubbles per second, indicating to me that the needle inside the valve was bent or damaged. HERE is my inquiry on the original Alanle thread to help me troubleshoot the issue. I can’t stress enough how helpful that thread is, even for me still after having built several regulators. I guess the underlying message is, although you may pay a bit more, it is IMO definitsly worth the added cost to source new metering and solenoid valves on eBay.

We will be replacing it with a Hoke 1335G4Y 1/4” metering valve. The build should be completed next week and I will post pictures of the completed build when I’m done. I would like to thank @Marc11 for his patience in finishing his regulator.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just wanted to give everyone an update on the regulator that I was building. Unfortunately during testing, it was discovered that the used Swagelok SS-SS2 metering valve from eBay was faulty. At its lowest setting, the minimum bubble count it could produce was 2 bubbles per second, indicating to me that the needle inside the valve was bent or damaged. HERE is my inquiry on the original Alanle thread to help me troubleshoot the issue. I can’t stress enough how helpful that thread is, even for me still after having built several regulators. I guess the underlying message is, although you may pay a bit more, it is IMO definitsly worth the added cost to source new metering and solenoid valves on eBay.

We will be replacing it with a Hoke 1335G4Y 1/4” metering valve. The build should be completed next week and I will post pictures of the completed build when I’m done. I would like to thank @Marc11 for his patience in finishing his regulator.

Well, those Swagelok SS-SS2's are nice. It's a shame you got a damaged one. Buying a Swagelok SS-SS2 new, instead of used, will be a big price increase. When buying used, I do my best to source from a seller that tests parts and also will allow returns. I realize this type of seller can be hard to come by. Minimally, I'll want the option to return after I test parts.

I'm not sure if you have any upcoming builds but there are a couple of pretty nice Matheson regs on eBay right now. I'll post up links if you'd like to check them out. Just let me know.

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Deals for new parts can definitely be had. You just have to be shrewd, patient and know where to look! ;) It’s okay though. Marc11 who I’m building this for told me I should post about the failed metering valve as it’s a good thing to share both the ups and downs of the building experience, as everyone can learn from it! :)

Marc11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just like to mention how awesome Leon is. His communication and expertise has been second to none. Although I cant wait for my regulator to be done. I definitely dont mind waiting as I know it will be top notch once Leon is done building it. His attention to detail is commended.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the Burkert solenoid valve supposed to run hot mine is 157 degrees at the plastic part where the plug attaches.

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is normal, it gets pretty warm... that’s why we only run the 4 watt ones. Anything that draws more than 4 watts produces too much excess heat.

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re diligent enough in sourcing parts, you can build one of these regulators for a good bit less than the $350 price point of the CarbonDoser. While the CarbonDoser makes dialing in CO2 very easy, at the end of the day, it’s is an electronic Clippard Mouse solenoid attached to a cheap $10 brass single stage regulator. Electronics will fail. These DIY regulators use industrial lab grade stainless steel parts (extremely precise metering valves) that will still work precisely and consistently long after you and I are gone... :) and I’m not even getting into the single vs dual stage end of tank dump discussion.

There is no question, the CarbonDoser is easy to use and has a loyal following. I‘m just presenting a guide based on the Alan Le DIY regulator thread for people like to build things and are interested in a quality alternative.
This is exactly why I bought 2 carbon dosers... lol... For howmuch it costs its sure cheaply made... still cant believe they cost that much... such a piece of junk... If I was to ever make a regulator I would definitely pick your brain...

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I made one exactly like your making them... I could give it to my son and he could give it to his son... and they would give it to their son... lol! That thing would literally run for ever never having to replace parts

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome to pick my brain anytime. I really enjoy tinkering and putting these together! :) With the quality parts we source to put these together, there’s no question these regulators will still operate consistently and flawlessly, long after we are gone. That’s just not gonna happen with the CarbonDoser. When Marc11 picked up his regulator, I hooked it up to a tank and bubble counter to demonstrate just how accurate it was. I set it to around 1 bubble very 15 seconds... we had a conversation about each other’s tanks for a bit and checked the bubble counter when we were done. Sure enough, it was still spitting out a bubble every 15 seconds like clockwork! It’s absolutely amazing, the level of control and precision you have with these DIY dual stage regulators.

Back