OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 bubble every 15 seconds? That would be a very low demand tank. :)

No doubt! When I build a regulator, I like to test the metering valve using a spare bubble counter that I keep on hand to check on the range of adjustability. It’s pretty cool to be able to fine tune a bubble count that precisely.

A157D579-04A3-4635-A906-9AF5DB115F54.jpeg

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re diligent enough in sourcing parts, you can build one of these regulators for a good bit less than the $350 price point of the CarbonDoser. While the CarbonDoser makes dialing in CO2 very easy, at the end of the day, it’s is an electronic Clippard Mouse solenoid attached to a cheap $10 brass single stage regulator. Electronics will fail. These DIY regulators use industrial lab grade stainless steel parts (extremely precise metering valves) that will still work precisely and consistently long after you and I are gone... :) and I’m not even getting into the single vs dual stage end of tank dump discussion.

There is no question, the CarbonDoser is easy to use and has a loyal following. I‘m just presenting a guide based on the Alan Le DIY regulator thread for people like to build things and are interested in a quality alternative.
Well that makes sense. The carbon doser is going to fail over time. Honestly, anything can fail, but this is why I run a GHL 2.1 SA doser along side my calcium reactor. The carbon doser is definitely a luxury item and it’s a pity that it won’t last forever. For this reason it makes sense to have an extra regulator on hand that tunes just as well or better than the carbon doser. So building or buying a backup does appeal to me.

Can you post a video of a quality double stage regulator in action. I’d like to start shopping around for something nice. It’s really hard to beat the simplicity of the carbon doser. I can literally see a number, turn the knob, and it’s dang close if not exact. Here’s a video and I’m sure most people have seen it or know what the carbon doser can do which is why a lot of us do run a carbon doser knowing full well that the electronics can fail over time. To me it’s worth the risk, but like I said...I do have a backup and I’m prepared for it. Although it’s always good to have 2 backups. :) wink wink.

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemme order some nylon CO2 tank fitting washers and I’ll rig up a bubble count video. When I get around to it, I’ll text you the video... then you can post it!

I can build a regulator, but posting YouTube videos... not so much! ;)

bettatail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that makes sense. The carbon doser is going to fail over time. Honestly, anything can fail, but this is why I run a GHL 2.1 SA doser along side my calcium reactor. The carbon doser is definitely a luxury item and it’s a pity that it won’t last forever. For this reason it makes sense to have an extra regulator on hand that tunes just as well or better than the carbon doser. So building or buying a backup does appeal to me.

Can you post a video of a quality double stage regulator in action. I’d like to start shopping around for something nice. It’s really hard to beat the simplicity of the carbon doser. I can literally see a number, turn the knob, and it’s dang close if not exact. Here’s a video and I’m sure most people have seen it or know what the carbon doser can do which is why a lot of us do run a carbon doser knowing full well that the electronics can fail over time. To me it’s worth the risk, but like I said...I do have a backup and I’m prepared for it. Although it’s always good to have 2 backups. :) wink wink.
A carbon doser is just false sense of accuracy,,, you are actually counting pulse but not bubbles.
up the output pressure but keep the same pulse, the co2 flow rate increase but you still reading the same pulse/second.

Metering/needle valve control type of co2 regulator give you bubbles/second reading, not accurate either but size of the bubbles are not much difference if in water and under normal co2 flow rate, it is at least better than carbon doser.

Carbon doser can not take care of the output pressure rise( which cause the End of Tank dump) problem because it is a single stage pressure regulator.
That is why a carbon doser work better with PH controller, it is the PH controller unit decide when and how much co2 inject into the tank.

The real benefit of a carbon doser is that it requires less attention if use with a PH controller, and no matter what device to inject co2, they all serving the same purpose and work well if the user know how to make them work properly.

I prefer double stage regulator because I can build a set myself, and make it work with or without a PH controller, high precision, easy and wider range of co2 flow rate adjustment, less problem(no leak or Output pressure rise), and will last really long time if it is stainless steel components...

92VVaJjl.jpg

If anyone want to know the actual co2 flow rate and volume vs. time, try the flow meter(or the mass flow meter, expensive though...)

O2Pz94cl.jpg

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to Water Dog for his wisdom and helping find the correct parts as I, too, was dumping the carbon doser I had.

After a few weeks of procuring parts I was ready to assemble. We sourced a Scott’s regulator off fleabay along with other needed parts. I have a feeling these Scott’s have been sitting unused for quite some time as a QC decal on the back shows “03.” After an overnight leak test it did appear to hold 750+ psi overnight. Thank god.

Removal of the Scott’s tank post proved difficult. Thankfully an air impact solved that. If you’re interesting in building one of these regs, a bench vice is an important tool to have on hand.

After some advice from Water Dog, and a few steps backward, I used his advice from this thread on taping and tank post assembly. The whole assembly was installed on my 20lb tank this morning with its initial settings at about 13-14psi and about 1BPS. (close to what my carbon doser was). I’ll check alk around lunchtime with the Trident.

Thanks to Water Dog for his insight.

D60183E9-B64D-4CFB-8D56-2DF33EE96D26.jpeg 7FC971B3-7C13-4D2D-8026-EB4408A19874.jpeg 643A5897-AC75-4FB0-AC41-8F947ACB49BC.jpeg

PoeticInjustice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add my build in this thread.

EA8E82B8-8577-485B-A9CE-00B4E511F8EA.jpeg

I have zero knowledge with regulators prior to building this and Leon patiently helped and answered all my questions.

Struggled with leaks because I suck at applying teflon tape but finally got everything resolved.

Thanks again Leon (@Water Dog), you’re the man!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add my build in this thread.

EA8E82B8-8577-485B-A9CE-00B4E511F8EA.jpeg

I have zero knowledge with regulators prior to building this and Leon patiently helped and answered all my questions.

Struggled with leaks because I suck at applying teflon tape but finally got everything resolved.

Thanks again Leon (@Water Dog), you’re the man!
Beautiful! It reminds me I need another to setup my carx on my frag system.
Again, nice job!
Think I will build one this time around.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I run the calcium reactor without a ph controller, would I still need a solenoid valve? I’m contemplating a diy build.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I run the calcium reactor without a ph controller, would I still need a solenoid valve? I’m contemplating a diy build.
The valve will cut the CO2 when the power goes out. This is really important because your water intake will stop running with not power. If the CO2 keeps going and there is no fresh water intake and then you turn the reactor back on ... bad things. I think that is called a CO2 dump.

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it’s actually a 1/4” port connector (SS-401-PC)

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the final stages of procuring all the parts, but wondering where everyone is getting their cga320 from. I see one for $76 (1st link) and a cheaper one for $39 (2nd link). Isn’t there 2 different types? If I recall, I remember reading somewhere that you don’t want to use the one for paintball purposes, which is the cheaper one.

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the voltage on the solenoid matter? I ask because I see most all of them are in 24v. I’m looking at the following 12v. It doesn’t exceed 4w, so I’d imagine it would be ok.

OP
OP
Water Dog

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I’m not sure…. I always buy and direct people to pre-wired solenoids that come with the plug. Perhaps @bettatail may be able to lend some insight…

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back