OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen a full review of it anywhere. Do you have one that you can share? Hows the new fixture coming along?
There's no reviews since it was under a strict NDA ;)

I'm working on converting my notes into a more public form, maybe finish it this weekend and publish it.

I should hopefully have pics of the finished or VERY close to finished Nanobox retros today according to Dave, so they'll be here soon! Only five months lol

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13763822554_9fdc1a0d27_b.jpg

:D

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article link Ben, thanks much for sharing. It sure would have been nice to have this reference material a while back in some of our 'heated' LED debates, especially on the use of Reds, Cyan, Ambers and CW over WW. I may eventually have to jump in on this tech to upgrade my system, though my wife might not agree...lol

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, they never want to agree with us! :)

I'm not convinced that individual diodes are the way to go for primary lighting. I can see where for supplemental lighting (to mimic a specific light not only in spectrum but in look) to use the individual diodes, but as far as general lighting I can't say there is a benefit. I'd be willing to put any of my arrays up against theirs for color rendition, and I'm still convinced that the 'evil cluster' would triumph.

I am in initial testing of my next project right now, which will have a broad variety of diodes for specific purposes, more will come on that in the next few weeks as I slowly get everything together, designed, and prototyped.

hung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in initial testing of my next project right now, which will have a broad variety of diodes for specific purposes, more will come on that in the next few weeks as I slowly get everything together, designed, and prototyped.

LOL, you never stop with your new fixtures do you?

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Good article. Finally someone discusses the importance of thermal transfer and how a slight investment in quality Bins pays dividends.

The debate of colour rendition or which specific colour diodes are best will surly continue as the debate on who is hotter Ginger or Mary Ann still continues.

Cheers

Bill

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, you never stop with your new fixtures do you?
Now if I did, who was gonna keep you guys entertained? :)

Thanks

Good article. Finally someone discusses the importance of thermal transfer and how a slight investment in quality Bins pays dividends.

The debate of colour rendition or which specific colour diodes are best will surly continue as the debate on who is hotter Ginger or Mary Ann still continues.

Cheers

Bill
It's not so much a debate on color rendition. It either is colorful with xx proteins, or it isn't. We're learning more and more what the non-fluorescent proteins need to be excited, and there is just not enough in any cool white LEDs to get the job done alone, they go about a different way than most - most use high-CRI whites, they're using PC-amber diodes, which are basically warm white diodes without the blue, just like the lime are in the same boat, but peaking near 540nm instead of 590nm.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if I did, who was gonna keep you guys entertained? :)

It's not so much a debate on color rendition. It either is colorful with xx proteins, or it isn't. We're learning more and more what the non-fluorescent proteins need to be excited, and there is just not enough in any cool white LEDs to get the job done alone, they go about a different way than most - most use high-CRI whites, they're using PC-amber diodes, which are basically warm white diodes without the blue, just like the lime are in the same boat, but peaking near 540nm instead of 590nm.

Compared to the MH VHO mix I used to have I'm very happy with Binned Cree Cool Whites, Blue and Royal Blue.

Experimenting with UV a few Red , Green and Warm gave me a slightly different look I'm not sure I like more.

Each coral is different some will look good under Mix A others will look good under Mix B.

The nice thing about LEDs especially DIY, is with a well planned fixture you can swap out individual LEDs to suit your taste.

Cheers

Bill

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today (mah birfday) my wife got me a 6 piece Ryobi One+ tool kit - has a drill, an impact, a 'jobplus' jiggamabob, a circular saw, a sawsall, and a flashlight, all runs on 18v. I got to use them just a few hours later to put up the 8020 aluminum extrusion to hang the Nanobox retro from :)

IMG_20140427_215339984.jpg

(yes, this is level lol, it's just an odd angle)

Double nuts
IMG_20140427_220733548.jpg

IMG_20140427_220841608.jpg

The bottom of that same piece
IMG_20140427_221057478.jpg

Oops, ordered the bottom pieces too long. D'oh! Oh well. These parts make the arms 100% adjustable left to right so I can get everything perfect.
IMG_20140427_222423085.jpg

IMG_20140427_222429715.jpg

Fancy endcaps and an adjustable slider to hang the wire from, once again so I can get the light 100% centered and level :)
IMG_20140427_222755274.jpg

Just so close to having real lights again!
IMG_20140427_222810537.jpg

Last edited:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coming together VERY NICELY Ben, going to be an awesome and unique lighting array. Still impressed my DIY brother.............

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coming together VERY NICELY Ben, going to be an awesome and unique lighting array. Still impressed my DIY brother.............

Cheers, Todd
Thanks! I'm just so excited that after months of waiting for everything to get finished and come in that it's finally happening!

Looks great! Where is the 8020 from? Did you order it online?
Thanks! The 8020 is from their eBay store: Fractional Metric Profiles Fasteners T-Nuts Brackets items in 8020 Aluminum T-slot Extrusions store on eBay! For all the stuff I got, it cost me right at $123. Coulda got it all a little cheaper by using different parts, but I like what I did :)

And heck, might even go a little more elaborate with it when I do the array going over the tank in my living room.

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the M and the last couple of LDD should be here tomorrow! I'll have pretty much everything I need to get it going, except the heatsink and a couple other things from Nanobox haven't shown up yet.

OP
OP
jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, getting closer, anyways. One of the issues with a build that drags on is that the final revision is never final when new stuff gets released. :)

4x Bridgelux Vero 10 4000K 90 CRI
8x Luxeon M royal blue E bin (~6800mW flux each)
12x Luxeon Z blue
12x Luxeon Z lime
4x SemiLEDs N5-TL2-U-AM quad-die (~5800mW flux each)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back