Building Aquascapes: Glue, Mortar, Putty or Other?

What is your preferred adhesive to creating unique aquascapes? (select all that apply)

• Super Glue

Votes: 208 50.4%
  • Aquascaping Mortar

Votes: 70 16.9%
  • Aquascaping Putty

Votes: 103 24.9%
  • A Combination of the three

Votes: 99 24.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 44 10.7%

• Total voters

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Glue Masters thin and rock dust / sand...

7 months roughly...

276511.jpeg
20220313_154240.jpg
20220313_154244.jpg
20220313_154247.jpg
20220313_154250.jpg
20220313_154253.jpg

Chrisanthellae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you looked at the comments, the first comment is
1648824993766.png

which is the method i am referring to.... the joints created by this bond will not break before the dry rock itself breaks. Mortar and putty definitely are not as strong

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I wasn't doubting the effectiveness of the glue method. I have used it myself with great success. I was specifically challenging the idea that putty is only good when it's wet, when in fact the opposite seems to be true. I would only use putty on fresh dry rock. For anything that's already wet I've had much better results with super glue.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For synthetic rock (Tropic Eden) I use epoxy sticks on doweled (wood or acrylic rod) joints, then reinforce with emarco pink.

On dry rock, I’ve used hydraulic cement to bind the rock together, then once it’s fully cured put a layer of emarco over the cemented portions, this also works we

I hate this idea of supergluing rock and calling it a day, rockwork needs to be strong! Put something heavy that’s barely holding together in a highly corrosive environment?! Superglue barely holding a bond doesn’t cut it, you need reinforcement or things will start to break apart with time or when you attempt to move it.

You also can’t use any of the methods with wet rock if you want a solid bond. Wish they’d quit telling people you could apply these products to wet rock and get good results :face-with-rolling-eyes:

2A03F56F-8B6F-4538-B3EF-55C65D513382.jpeg 95476F37-303B-465E-A560-5B8ADB177F3F.jpeg 941B0584-5475-4463-BC04-9FC95E7C3D8D.jpeg ADDEF50D-9957-4B68-AA68-BE6ABF2702E8.jpeg 8AECDDA7-99BD-4DD7-AD1E-E3AFA41B7396.jpeg 52A9B9FF-4974-4E9D-8E7B-7FDE317242B0.jpeg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stack mine. Probably a bad idea, but you can't glue live rock, and I don't do dry rock. I'd rather have a healthy, living structure held down by its own weight than a dead, superglued structure.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I wasn't doubting the effectiveness of the glue method. I have used it myself with great success. I was specifically challenging the idea that putty is only good when it's wet, when in fact the opposite seems to be true. I would only use putty on fresh dry rock. For anything that's already wet I've had much better results with super glue.
no thats fair. I was thinking putty as in the tunze coral putty which can be used underwater, not something like jb weld. I think we were both thinking of different things.

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used all 3. The mortar is good at holding big heavy pieces together. My most recent job was an NSA and I used superglue to set the shape and then reinforcement with epoxy putty.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently moved homes and the tank made the move. but i do have one structure that broke and i have been wanting to put it back together, but not sure how this will work with the rock underwater.

what would be the best/ safest method? superglue and sand? i'm kinda lost

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the combination of super glue and stacking. I try not to make too large of pieces that would be difficult to remove if needed.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently moved homes and the tank made the move. but i do have one structure that broke and i have been wanting to put it back together, but not sure how this will work with the rock underwater.

what would be the best/ safest method? superglue and sand? i'm kinda lost
if the rock is under water and wet. I think coral putty is your best bet

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other. I just stack. I have no coral though. When you just stack you can change the landscape easily.
I just try to put the flat big rocks at the bottom, and go from there. I use many different shells to block some holes or make a roof. I also use large conks shells, and my hyppo tang still uses it for his shelter. In my smaller tank, the conk shell was the home of the firefish.

2ClownGal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When building a new aquascape from dry rock you have several options for securing it together. Especially if you want to create unique structures. You may also use a combination of solutions to achieve the desired look you want for the aquascape of your dreams! Some items readily available are Super Glue, Aquascaping Mortar and Putty for the "adhesive" part. There may also be others that I am unaware of. Le's talk about today!

What is your preferred adhesive to creating unique aquascapes?

aquascape epoxy.jpg
When I started my 32G bioccube I just stacked the rock. I'm glad I did that because being brand new to the hobby my structure actually was not good for growing corals growing quarrels and there was a lot of wasted space. I was able to flip one of the arches upside downing allowing much more growing space.

Fast forward to now and researching my 150 gallon. I'm going to do a negative area aquascape. BRS did a great video on it. I'm just going with glue and the fast drying spray. They also used putty. Right now I am not.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching a brs/tidal gardens video on nsa scapes using thin superglue and sand method,only difference I didn't use an accelerator as one or maybe both recommended using accelerator but also I'm sure said even if dont use it then it sets within 10 seconds or so ( depending didnt blob lots and lots superglue on) so to save a couple seconds I decided save money.
And speaking of money ,it cost absolute fortune in 9x 50 ml small bottles of thin ca glue as couldnt find anywhere at time in england selling bigger bottles pffft.
As was thin superglue was kind of hard to have to much as just ran down rocks quick anyhow.
Smash up rocks and apply glue to have at least 3 contact points then literally threw fine sand at the joints then used aquaforest stone fix on joints afterwards just incase ^_^
I did want a true nsa scape but from my research I learnt less stressed fish = better/healthy fish so decided an nsa aquascape until corals grew in would mean not ideal for fish in hiding spots/ sleeping quarters and all that so one of my rock structures at the base-halfway is multiply caves so did half nsa with the overhangs/ underhangs etc but half just glued rocks as thought more important providing better habitat for the fish and started seeing mentioned few months ago now hnsa so presume that's " habitat negative space aquascape" which I guess is what I decided to do,as believe fish need lose sight of each other,hide-e-spots if scared,enough caves for sleeping quarters,overhangs,underhangs,cut throughs etc.
I even created small passageways in the rocks so if detritus settled then my cuc could go through and do their job and also stay out of fishes view through day if they choose.
So far so good and no real problems with my first saltwater tank

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue with accelerant, then go back through with color matching Two Little Fishies epoxy. Then finally go back through with thin superglue and cover joints with the dust, sand, and broken bits from the rocks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back