Building Garage Coral "Farm," Looking for Advice on Plumbing

Taylor810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I am getting ready to plumb four lowboys into a single sump and am looking for advice since I've never tried to plumb this many tanks together before.

Some background, I am self-employed. Something I've always tried to do is find ways to develop my hobbies into legitimate side businesses to be able to take advantage of tax write offs. I started an LLC this year to sell coral and have re-routed my other 1099 gigs through this LLC. I started the coral selling side of the LLC with a single 50-gallon lowboy and after just three months, I am profitable. So, naturally, I want to expand the business.

I am in the process of building out a coral "farm" in my garage. In reality, it will probably be 40% farm, 60% reselling wholesale orders. I live in Texas, so it's a pretty big undertaking to run a fish business out of a garage, but one I am excited about. So far, I have blown insulation into the walls, patched up the drywall, insulated and sealed the garage door, installed a portable A/C unit that vents out through the wall, and set up the stands. For stands, I am going with the 65" Husky "Industrial" Garage Shelves. The I-Beam shelves are rated to hold up to 2500 lbs each, which is more than enough to hold one lowboy on each shelf. I did reinforce the shelves by adding additional 2x4 shelf supports since each shelf only came with one support each. On top of the wire rack, I have 3/4 inch Maple plywood (hardwood plywood is actually cheaper than pine here ‍♂️). Since the shelves are designed to be connected, I attached the two shelving units together to create three with two shelves each. I'll be leveling the shelving legs using shims.

I have a few things left to do (seal the wood, paint and drill the tanks, etc) but I want to get started planning the plumbing so I can order the parts. That is where I am looking for advice.

Four lowboys will be plumbed into a single 75 gallon sump. One lowboy will have a crushed coral base and run off of an HOB filter for quarantine purposes. I went with a 75 gallon sump because I want as much liverock/media in the sump as I can. I know that I want to have a skimmer section and a refugium.

Here is the plumbing design I have so far. Blue lines are for overflow drain piping. Green is for the return plumbing. Let me know if you see anything wrong with this or if I should change anything. I tried to draw it to minimize the length of pipe necessary to hit all the returns. Missing from the diagram is that I plan to have the reactors on the manifold return their water into the refugium.

iM4e9BL.png

Right now, I am torn on *how* I want to plumb it all. Part of me really wants to use flexible plumbing just so it can be easy, but since my only other plumbing experience is with pvc, I'm a bit out of my element.

My plan has the four tanks draining into the sump for manual filtration. I hate filter socks (read: my wife hates when I wash filter socks in *her* washer/dryer) and this isn't going to be a fish-heavy system, so I am probably going to have the tanks drain on top of a raised square of filter floss.

The lowboys will each have a single drain. Right now, I am planning to have four drain lines empty out into the sump (with plenty of unions on each to allow cleaning if one does get clogged). My first question is should I have four drain pipes? Or should I plumb the tanks into two or even one larger main drain line? (IE have two 1" drain lines both flow into a larger 1.5" drain, that way there would only be two 1.5" drains flowing into the sump, as opposed to four 1" drains).

The next question I have is whether I should have one return pump or two. Since I'd like to have a manifold for reactors and a chiller (necessary for a Texas garage setup), my gut is to buy two. Since there's a lot of T's and right angles, it's probably more reasonable to have two than to expect one pump to handle all that head pressure.

I'm also torn on whether I should do pvc for the return lines or just run a soft line to each of the tanks. Part of me thinks that would be easier...

I am interested if anyone has any advice for me. I will probably stop by my local LFS and ask if I can see how they plumb multiple tanks into a single sump. But any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to follow the progress, I am posting video updates on my TikTok @LoneStarCorals.

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Without having a large fish bioload you may not want too much skimmer action or you'll potentially have to dose nitrates and phosphates.

You're going to need ball valves on each return line to throttle each tank to the flow you want.

I would recommend one pump oversized for the flow you want and send the excess flow to the chiller and reactors. Two pumps will probably have a bigger footprint than 1 larger pump.

PVC return lines seem easier but you can use poly tubing feeding into PVC at the tank. That will reduce the number of hard turns the water makes.

Just my two cents. I'm currently working on a similar idea in my head but for dual DT rather than frag tanks.

OP
OP
Taylor810

Taylor810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without having a large fish bioload you may not want too much skimmer action or you'll potentially have to dose nitrates and phosphates.

Yea, I've thought about that. I want to have one algae-eating fish (maybe a blenny) and one sixline wrass for pests in each of the five tanks. Then I'll probably have a file fish and/or peppermint shrimp that gets rotated from tank to tank if/when aiptasia pops up. Probably a couple snails in each tank and likely an emerald crab in the QT tank so I can quarantine bubble algae and have it eat it (since I hate that stuff). Not a ton of bioload in each tank, but if I want to use coral food like reefroids, I am definitely going to need a skimmer.

I am also thinking that if I ditch the filter socks for filter floss, a skimmer right off the intake section would help with sucking up larger pieces of detritus and gunk that gets through the mechanical filtration.

One reason I am also leaning towards installing the skimmer is because I don't intend for there to be a ton of macro algae in the refugium section. I was thinking a small ball of chaeto, maybe some mangroves. The space is primarily going to be for pods, live rock, and maybe the peppermint shrimp when it's not hunting for aiptasia in the other tanks.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i have found is using manifolds to that many tanks with different heights and lengths of run it can be very tricky to get flow dialed in and close to equalized if the manifold is at sump level(even using gate or ball valves).

What i found works exponentially better is have a single line up to your highpoint and put the manifold there(still using valves). Much easier to keep consistent and equal flow to tanks.

As for one pump vs 2 I would personally use 2, but both would go to all tanks(ie duplicate your plumbing). I would have each pump on separate electrical circuit. For as much coral as you can have in those tanks I think it is worth the cost to have redundancy in case of tripped breaker or pump failure.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I've thought about that. I want to have one algae-eating fish (maybe a blenny) and one sixline wrass for pests in each of the five tanks. Then I'll probably have a file fish and/or peppermint shrimp that gets rotated from tank to tank if/when aiptasia pops up. Probably a couple snails in each tank and likely an emerald crab in the QT tank so I can quarantine bubble algae and have it eat it (since I hate that stuff). Not a ton of bioload in each tank, but if I want to use coral food like reefroids, I am definitely going to need a skimmer.

I am also thinking that if I ditch the filter socks for filter floss, a skimmer right off the intake section would help with sucking up larger pieces of detritus and gunk that gets through the mechanical filtration.

One reason I am also leaning towards installing the skimmer is because I don't intend for there to be a ton of macro algae in the refugium section. I was thinking a small ball of chaeto, maybe some mangroves. The space is primarily going to be for pods, live rock, and maybe the peppermint shrimp when it's not hunting for aiptasia in the other tanks.
just a thought but if you go with 6 lines you'll have to cover the tanks if that wasn't part of the plan from the start.

Id also have a monsterous ato reservoir as my freshwater lowboy loses so much water and my house is 70-75 24/7

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a thought but if you go with 6 lines you'll have to cover the tanks if that wasn't part of the plan from the start.

Id also have a monsterous ato reservoir as my freshwater lowboy loses so much water and my house is 70-75 24/7

Good point. I have 3 8 foot tanks for my frag system and have resorted to glass tops for about 60% of the area because several gallons a day was ridiculous.

OP
OP
Taylor810

Taylor810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a six line in my current lowboy and I had corrugated plastic as a top (the kind they use for greenhouse skylights) and it still managed to jump out :(

Any other suggestions for pest-eating fish that aren't as jumpy?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a six line in my current lowboy and I had corrugated plastic as a top (the kind they use for greenhouse skylights) and it still managed to jump out :(

ill get back to ya!

any certain pests you're wanting it to eat?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i would look into tidal gardens yt channel he has an insane coral farm and his goals for functional fish seem like yours

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back