OP
tcrumbley

tcrumbley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on scraping the corraline off the back, or leaving it?
I left some on my used setup I bought, it was out of water for a bit and died, all turned white, and now every so often giant flakes fall off.

Food for thought, but I wish I would have scraped all mine.
We did not scrape it. Our LFS where we bought it suggested we leave it. :I This is good information to know. Thank YOU!

OP
OP
tcrumbley

tcrumbley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! You mentioned that you were going to add live rock. May I suggest that you go with dry rock. There are many options out there from plain white to rock that is painted/coated to look like the real deal out of the box. This allows you to set up your scape dry, look at it for a few days and make any changes you may like. Also no risk of hitchhikers and possible phosphate spikes from die off in a new tank often make dry rock a better choice. You can seed the algae and bacteria strains that you want and in a short time it will be no different than using live. Just food for thought.
This is exactly what we ended up doing! :) Will be seeding it with good bacteria soon!

OP
OP
tcrumbley

tcrumbley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE! We have the tank full and running smoothly! Now to just wait out the cycle. Will do my 1st water testing tonight and go from there. I bought the Fritz TurboStart 900 nitrifying bacteria so will be adding that soon. Getting excited!

IMG-3888.jpg

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!!! I love about an hour/two hours away from you (not exactly sure where you’re at in NT. Recently started a 90g so I’m excited to see your progress.
100% do not purchase CUC from LFS. Purchase from Reef cleaners. My LFS sells emeralds for $11/eachnnn OUTRAGEOUS.
Good luck!!!

update is with pics of your scapes!

OP
OP
tcrumbley

tcrumbley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks into the cycling process...not sure if I’m doing this correctly, but the brown diatoms are covering everything and green spots of algae just started showing up today. I’m still testing every other day and adding ammonia. Fingers crossed this tank cycles!!!

7EE5A296-F954-4BDB-847B-850FB493E059.jpeg 92BC9904-3DD0-418E-A9F1-B6D1270B5520.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @tcrumbley

Looking good. If I may suggest, keep your thread under your member tanks forum updated. Then put the link to that thread into your signature to get your build thread badge. Everything will be in on spot and we can follow along if you like

OP
OP
tcrumbley

tcrumbley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!!! I love about an hour/two hours away from you (not exactly sure where you’re at in NT. Recently started a 90g so I’m excited to see your progress.
100% do not purchase CUC from LFS. Purchase from Reef cleaners. My LFS sells emeralds for $11/eachnnn OUTRAGEOUS.
Good luck!!!

update is with pics of your scapes!
I am located in Vernon, 50 miles west of Wichita Falls. I will check out Reef Cleaners! Thanks for the advice!

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am located in Vernon, 50 miles west of Wichita Falls. I will check out Reef Cleaners! Thanks for the advice!
Oh well I am in Norman. So with that added 50 miles you’re close to 2.5 hours away :/
But yes! Reef cleaners saved my tank and my bank!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back