Building on a Budget - 42 Gallon 2nd hand Oceanic Hexagon

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Will Perry, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Will Perry

Will Perry Member

Hey guys!

I'm new to the community and out to earn a spiffy new Build Thread Badge!! I don't have all of my supplies just yet, but most of the things I do have at my disposal (well, all of them so far) are 2nd hand. So far my supplies are as follows:

An Oceanic 42 Gallon Hexagon Aquarium
    A Vertex Aquarastik Protein Skimmer
    An Eshoppes Sump - Maybe RS100??
    Various plumbing & flow items
    Overflow Box
    A 950 gph return pump - TOO MUCH!
    Last - A Two Little Fishes Phosban reactor that I don't plan to impliment until later, if ever.

I plan on buying a used light through R2R from a fellow member. This should give me everything I need, but I also plan to build my own stand. The stand will not be a hex, but it will be big enough to hold the tank and the sump! I'm super excited!

Of course, I am only currently in the planning stages so all of my plans my change by the end of it. The stand I have now has some water damage, but it the tank was full when I acquired it so I believe it would hold up alright... still, better to be safe than sorry.

Things I still need are as follows:

Light - buying soon!
    Dry/Live Rock
    Crushed Coral
    A new return pump, suggestions?

I feel I am on the right track. I am going to pick up some lumber this week and build the stand. I will do what I can to take pictures every step of the way to people can see what I am up to. I'll try to get some pictures of the tank and equipment that I have at my disposal as soon as I can!

2. ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Welcome!

This looks like it will be a fun and unique build.

That return pump may work if you restrict the output. Maybe look into running a manifold that you can use to run other equipment, like reactors, or a run to a refugium, or even recirculating some in the sump to keep good water movement.

Can't wait to see some pictures of the build.. my favorite part.

Will Perry likes this.
  3. drawman

drawman Valuable Member

Good luck!

As far as return pump Sicce silents work very well and have a good track record.

Will Perry and ihavecrabs like this.
  4. Will Perry

Will Perry Member

I actually found a Rio 1700 return pump lying around that should be perfect. I may switch to the Danner 950 in the future when I figure out how to setup a refugium and whatnot with this particular tank. I like the idea of splitting it off for different reactors and things. I have a Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor sitting around. It was new in the box when somebody gave it to me! I will be doing further under the tank plumbing in the future, but right now I am just trying to get it all put together.

So, as for the plan currently: I decided to drill and buy some new plumbing. I also just finished building a stand (well, *almost* finished... taking a break!). It's not a hexagonal stand, but rather a simple rectangle that was easy to put together. I'm ready to post pics of the stand, actually~!! Those will be next post. Super excited and defintely enjoying the real building process! It's my first stand and I'm super stoked.

5. Will Perry

Will Perry Member

So, the boards under my sump are not screwed in place just yet... I'm taking a break and will finish in the morning so I don't keep the neighbors up any later. :)

Without further adieu, my DIY tank stand pics:

IMG_20180313_200219.jpg

IMG_20180313_201947.jpg

IMG_20180313_201953.jpg

IMG_20180313_203859.jpg

IMG_20180313_205225.jpg

IMG_20180313_211812.jpg

IMG_20180313_211849.jpg

6. Will Perry

Will Perry Member

Bought a used SB Reef Light Elite for cheap on the forum. Got a great deal and I'll be using that for lighting!

Thanks to @SB Reef Lights and @ReefQueen for hooking me up! The kit was missing a few *tiny* screws and Michael at SB shipped them out for free!

SB Reef Lights likes this.
  7. ReefQueen

ReefQueen Valuable Member R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I can't wait to see this thing up and running! Sorry again about the screws, I'm surprised they weren't in the packaging with the leg mounts because I never used them. They may even have been missing originally, but either way I am glad Mike hooked you up, he is a great guy!

Will Perry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted