Building the best high-end Zoa Garden, what am I missing?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS my favorite are Frozen Armageddon. I am not a big zoa person but I do like these a lot haha. Same with candy apple zoas.

OP
OP
The Ginga Ninja

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the frozen armageddons and the of Armageddon’s are beautiful! I might add the og armageddons!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... I read "high end zoa garden" and came here expecting a very different mix of zoas. :D

Nice garden, though!

I do mini-collection gardens myself. I have all (7) of the Kraks, almost all (16, I think) of the Hornets, all the Star Wars themed zoas, and I've just started the 'sphere collecting (Exo, Thermo, Atmo, etc, etc)... Plus about 20 other ones too. It really is an addiction.

My larger tank build is currently underway, and I'm sure it will only get worse. :D

OP
OP
The Ginga Ninja

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... I read "high end zoa garden" and came here expecting a very different mix of zoas. :D

Nice garden, though!

I do mini-collection gardens myself. I have all (7) of the Kraks, almost all (16, I think) of the Hornets, all the Star Wars themed zoas, and I've just started the 'sphere collecting (Exo, Thermo, Atmo, etc, etc)... Plus about 20 other ones too. It really is an addiction.

My larger tank build is currently underway, and I'm sure it will only get worse. :D
Holy SMOKES! You got any pictures?? I’d love to see this.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. My zoa garden consists of a single rock, covered with just Utter Chaos.

My plan was to find another zoa to pair with it on the rock, but I never found another I wanted to match with it and it ended up growing so fast, its now covered the rock all by itself. I think I need another rock.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best made plans may never be possible with regards to this idea over the long term, as some of these zoa's will melt into nothings while others thrive and multiply out of control. Thinking about islands works until they detach and reattach in places unseen {in a larger aquarium) I've had vampires, watermelons that dissappeard, radioactive dragon eye on steroids, rasta's growing happily and some fireball somethings happily growing too, then people eaters making new polyps every 6 month intervals if I'm lucky, and the favourites at first now least favourite because they are intermingling into every other type is some purple ones some with green centres and some with orange, I say favourite because at first they were the smallest and the least numerous now they're like weeds ruining everything that is if you are trying to make a garden looking setup best advice in my experience would be irrelevant of fancy names and colours most important thing to look for is getting a set of zoanthids that will all grow at the same rate.

Attachments

• IMG_20220419_080816.jpg
    IMG_20220419_080816.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20220114_135352.jpg
    IMG_20220114_135352.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20220105_195814.jpg
    IMG_20220105_195814.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
The Ginga Ninja

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. My zoa garden consists of a single rock, covered with just Utter Chaos.

My plan was to find another zoa to pair with it on the rock, but I never found another I wanted to match with it and it ended up growing so fast, its now covered the rock all by itself. I think I need another rock.

That's a great problem to be experiencing though, right? ;) haha Anything you've done to get that rate of growth? Do you feed?

OP
OP
The Ginga Ninja

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my Hornets are pictured here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-definitive-hornet-zoa-list.833661/

And the Kraks here (Page 2): https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/list-of-all-krak-zoas.299369/

I guess I need to get some updated pictures since the colonies have all at least doubled in size since those were taken. :D
Thank you SO much for sharing. Those Tree House of Horrors are GORGEOUS. Love it when hobbyists with great collections showcase great gardens. Definitely going to acquire a few of these!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love pinks zoas! I recommend pink diamonds, beauty and the beast, pink hippos

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reef fam,

Recently I've set out to try and build the most colorful zoa garden on the web. I started this a month ago, and with about $500 purchased my absolute favorites, trying carefully to ensure all major colors were accounted for, (here is a video documenting the growth and progress of the garden if you wish to follow along).

My questions is, what am I missing? Any personal favorites or no-brainers I should be including? I'm going for best overall color, and the brighter and higher contrast the options, the better! I want no subtle neighbors in this garden

Here is my list of zoas:

Blue:
  1. Snitches
  2. Spitfires
  3. Pearl Jams
  4. Blue Boo Berries
Green:
  1. Emeralds on Fire
  2. Candy Apples
Orange:
  1. Orange Oxides
  2. Blondies
  3. Rainbow Incenerators
  4. Jungle Juices
Red:
  1. Kedd's Red
  2. Twizzlers
  3. Dragon Eyes
Purple:
  1. Purple Heart
  2. Purple Hornets
  3. Fruit Loops
Yellow:
  1. Super Sayains
  2. La Lakers
Pink:
  1. Pink Diamonds
  2. Boomers
Other Notables:
  1. Bowser
  2. Wowser
  3. Utter Chaos
  4. Whammin Watermelons
  5. Rastas
  6. Solar Flare
  7. Hooligan

Thanks again team! Let me know what Zoas I should be including here! And subscribe to my channel if you want monthly updates on the progress here. I'll give shoutouts to anyone who recommends the next pieces to go in the garden.

I just watched the video and you helped me change my mind on a few I just won dirt cheap on ebay. I am making a zoa garden as well and also collecting high ends. I think I am going to keep high ends on a rack to sell and the cheapies in the garden and to tell you quite honestly the cheapies are just as nice if not nicer! The ones I won on on ebay are 5 polyp emeralds on fire for 6.50 and 4 polyp super sayain for 6.50 as well! I was about to trade for some higher end but after watching this I would be a fool not to keep! I only bid on them because I was doing the auction for a JB mushroom and a sunkist and a neptune and some higher ends like bozos birtday, preadator rainbow incinerators, stratocaster and a few others but the bids were so cheap and I knew super sayain were very colorful but I thought maybe other greens like oompa loompa and awesome blossom would be a much better choice but these look super bright so may sell the other two I just mentioned and won as well! who knows but I definitely not going to trade up! Great video and nice garden coming along!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those really aren't "high end" zoas..but awesome zoas none the less. Some of my favorites are "low end" like Utter chaos. Anyways, some bright ones missing are

Oompa loompas
Bam bams
Spekled kraks
Buttmuncher
Goblins on fire
Dragon eyes
Little shop of horrors
Hephaestus
Armor of gods
Big r space chaos
Rainbow infusion
Illuminati

Blues have to have
AOI
Wolverines
Tubbs blue

Predators, gmk, jf acid reflux, lemonheads, jf acid trips, grim reapers, etc..the list goes on and on.

Some of the best looking and brightest are some of the most inexpensive IME.
I cant find my speckled kraks and it crazy because without a doubt the brightest coral in my tank!!! I have some pinkish ones not opening and I am praying its them!

OP
OP
The Ginga Ninja

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched the video and you helped me change my mind on a few I just won dirt cheap on ebay. I am making a zoa garden as well and also collecting high ends. I think I am going to keep high ends on a rack to sell and the cheapies in the garden and to tell you quite honestly the cheapies are just as nice if not nicer! The ones I won on on ebay are 5 polyp emeralds on fire for 6.50 and 4 polyp super sayain for 6.50 as well! I was about to trade for some higher end but after watching this I would be a fool not to keep! I only bid on them because I was doing the auction for a JB mushroom and a sunkist and a neptune and some higher ends like bozos birtday, preadator rainbow incinerators, stratocaster and a few others but the bids were so cheap and I knew super sayain were very colorful but I thought maybe other greens like oompa loompa and awesome blossom would be a much better choice but these look super bright so may sell the other two I just mentioned and won as well! who knows but I definitely not going to trade up! Great video and nice garden coming along!
So glad you liked the video and found it helpful! Yeah I’m all about coloration, and I honestly think those super sayains and the emeralds on fire are as colorful as anything out there. Why pay 5x the price for colors with less pop and color? And it sounds like you got a great deal too!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the way! Just ordered some. I tried to order from savage reef, but they ran out when I ordered them :/ they sent me a refund
I discovered a cheap place for zoas and its newyorkreefaquatic.com I think they offer free shipping on a cheap order. It dosnt say the minimun but I didint have very much in my cart and it didint add a shipping fee! I keep adding more and havnt completed order so I may be in for a surprise but If its free ship then a real value!
So glad you liked the video and found it helpful! Yeah I’m all about coloration, and I honestly think those super sayains and the emeralds on fire are as colorful as anything out there. Why pay 5x the price for colors with less pop and color? And it sounds like you got a great deal too!
Agree 100 percent! Check out newyorkreefaquatic! Some real bargains and didnt add any shipping but havnt checked out yet because I keep adding more..lol. I love ebay auctions but the only problem is I get carried away and end up spending way more then anticipated and beware the last second bidders like me lol(keeps the price from going up) you will thinks its going to go off crazy cheap because up until the last few seconds sometimes the bid maybe 5 bucks or so but 5 seconds later it goes off for A lot of money but sometimes you get lucky!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back