Bulk alkalinity reagent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Any chance you could consider a larger bulk size bottle of your alkalinity reagent?

For times when we need to test more often would be great to be able to buy more at a discounted price for buying a larger qty at one time.

I’m sure sales are about to delete this thread as they love selling smaller bottles and seeing them love, lol.

But seriously sure others would also appreciate it. Many other suppliers sell different size bottles of their items and always trying to find a way to save some as the hobby is tough on the wallet for some of us so every edge helps

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea powder for calc, mag and alk. I use a magnet stirrer with a hot plate. I buy the 1kg tubs and refill the 5L Original premixed version jugs. It helps mixing to the same consistency each time.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Any chance you could consider a larger bulk size bottle of your alkalinity reagent?

For times when we need to test more often would be great to be able to buy more at a discounted price for buying a larger qty at one time.

I’m sure sales are about to delete this thread as they love selling smaller bottles and seeing them love, lol.

But seriously sure others would also appreciate it. Many other suppliers sell different size bottles of their items and always trying to find a way to save some as the hobby is tough on the wallet for some of us so every edge helps
They don’t make it in larger bottles because it goes bad easier in larger amounts.
Gotta love how cynical you are about it though... “they love making more money”
It’s a $9 bottle, that does 25 tests, that’s $0.36 a test

if you have issues spending $0.36 on a test, you probably shouldn’t be reefing.

OP
OP
M

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea powder for calc, mag and alk. I use a magnet stirrer with a hot plate. I buy the 1kg tubs and refill the 5L Original premixed version jugs. It helps mixing to the same consistency each time.
Thank you Los reef for this idea that I will look into. Appreciate the feedback!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Los reef for this idea that I will look into. Appreciate the feedback!
You can’t use a reagent from Red Sea on a Hanna test.
reagents are only meant for the test kit they come with.

mixing random chemicals that you don’t know what they are can be extremely dangerous!

OP
OP
M

Mrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that. It’s the idea of possibly switching to Red Sea

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t use a reagent from Red Sea on a Hanna test.
reagents are only meant for the test kit they come with.

mixing random chemicals that you don’t know what they are can be extremely dangerous!
I apologize. I totally misunderstood the post. I don't mix testing reagents. I've got a Trident cause I hate the testing aspect of the hobby. I used Hannah before I switched.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plain jane arm and hammer baking soda for alk(google Randy's DIY 2 part), BRS bulk calcium chloride, bulk magnesium sulfate, and magnesium chloride are way cheaper then Red Sea supplements.

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish. But keeping Params stable with a $0.36 test is the way to go, especially on an SPS system. It’s all just part of reefing.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back