BULLY FISH! What fish should you stay away from?

Do you have any "bully fish" in your tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 259 61.4%
  • NO bullies just misunderstood...

Votes: 137 32.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 26 6.2%

• Total voters

BobFageUK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blue tangs are mean. Maroon clowns can bite people!!!! ;Nailbiting

There are many more terrors. Let’s hear them.
I have a powder blue Tang and he is also the bully of the tank. Plus a female Clown orange and white that bites my wife if she is reaching in the tank for me (in wheels hair and cannot reach in side the tank. but I can position a thin stick to keep the Clown away.

BobFageUK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The powder Blue Tang beat up on the new arrivals as usual.. but I think he has met his match as the new fish is a copper band that got tail slapped so often in the end he turned on his side and raised his fin and the Tang got a dose of being bullied. Tang did his usual and went and hide for 3 days behind a rock. He has tried it on with every arrival until the next arrival. I also have a Dwarf Angle Beauty which also likes his own way. He also will chase other tank mates. I have a rock beanie that will stand up against any fish given his size it is good to watch him mixing it.

Acanking2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only temporary, they are both small so there is enough room for them for the time being.
I agree u are ok with them in the 55 gallon tank for now I had 4 triggers in a 65 gallon among other fish until I build my 175 plywood tank but they was in my 65 for 3 yrs and did just fine

Acanking2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just say no to 6 line wrasses! They are little terrors and are almost impossible to catch.

Unfortunate because they are cool looking fish.
That’s crazy I have a 6 Line in my 65 gallon reef tank with 2 Pajama fish 1 Cardinal fish 2 Wyomi white clown fish a yellow tang and a powder blue and they all get along really well my wife actually named the 6 line Harley Quinn lol

Daveph68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Percula Clownfish bullied and killed fish as well as made a home in my large hammer coral and killed it. Removed and gave back to LFS

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- a blue damsel, who constantly picked at the green chromis that was twice its size, and
- a longnose hawkfish that was quietly eating its way through my CUC during the night.

Both were relatively easy to catch with a soda bottle trap and return them to the fish store, but it taught me to expand beyond the normal research of tank size, eating preferences, and compatibility for each new prospective fish, but also look for threads on how to remove the fish from your tank -- that's where you find the negative traits that never make it into the larger crib sheets. This thread will now be added to my "search before you buy" list!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201001_093433.jpg

The dreaded WIFEFISH is the most dangerous fish to have in this reefing hobby.

They've been known to bully a Man back to the LFS to return a purchase when the item is clearly unreturnable. Making the Man feel like less than a Man.

They think the hobby is stupid, smells up THEIR house, doesn't match THEIR decor, is a waste of time that could be spent with them, and puts a serious dent in THEIR retirement money once you're dead.

The Wife Fish is very very costly to get rid of requiring lots of money and meetings with Lawyers and Judges

Last edited:

Desperado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it varies from fish to fish but when I started this hobby about 20 years ago I still haven’t seen the wrath of the falco hawkfish. Evil. I’m sure there are sweet ones out there (or maybe not) but this thing was the devil.
never forget watching him beat the hell out of my diamond goby till the fish was in shock with shredded fins. It seemed to be in shock bc she just was in front of tank not even trying to hide anymore.
finally got falco hawk out and back to lfs. Goby healed and lasted many more years :)

I have a flame hawk now which I love. She will harass a new specimen for a day or two then it’s over. But just harass not try and kill. Maybe falco‘s can be sweet but I’ll never get another.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the individual and often how they are added to the tank. I’m prefer to add fish at night so they get acclimated before the others pick on them. In my 54 gal tk I have 2 percula clowns; a flame angel; flameback angel; yellowtail damsel; and false lemon peel angel all get along just fine.

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E996A164-9B6F-4B81-AA88-5229FDB7164B.jpeg

The current boss of the playground is my Desjardini Tang. I’m tempted to get a purple tang to level the playing field but I worry that it would be a battle royal. My gem tang is super docile but he holds his own.
Every once in a while the D Tang’s evil twin shows up (mirror on one end of the tank). That keeps him occupied for a while.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji Blue Devil. She was supposed to be an Azure damsel but I was given the wrong fish and didn’t notice until I had driven the 2 hours home. She injured my largest yellowtail damsel’s eye and was going after everything else so I had no choice but to put her in my 5 gallon nano for now.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back