BULLY FISH! What fish should you stay away from?

Do you have any "bully fish" in your tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 259 61.4%
  • NO bullies just misunderstood...

Votes: 137 32.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 26 6.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We've all had those fish that are just mean! I call them BULLY FISH! I understand it's in the nature of fish to protect territory and stuff like that but sometimes a fish is just a big bully! Sometimes they not only bully other fish but they bully YOU! HA! Today let's talk about the fish that have been a menace to your other tank inhabitants and which ones you would stay clear of!

What fish have you had bad luck with when it comes to being a bully in the tank?

What fish would you caution people to stay away from?

image via @Waynerock
ED98591F-E377-45DF-9459-D0BEBB5A32CE.jpeg

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bully, but..
"Clingfish Goby"
"These awesome little fish are peaceful and reef safe."

Not fish safe. Ate a scooter dragonet. :(

Our yellow tail damsel (Chrysiptera parasema) will bully any smaller than it fish, until it gets same size or bigger, than it becomes a wimp.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tomato clown
Domino damsel
Sohal tang
Clown tang
Blue devil damsel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a coral beauty in every tank I have had in the last 20 years. I love the color of this, my experience, reef safe fish. The one I currently have though is another store all together... He is a jerk to everyone except my Yellow Tang who is much bigger than the CB. In a short while the YT will need to be re-homed as he is getting too big. At that time I think the CB will be re-homes too.

I love this hobby, I just wish I could have a tank big enough for everything I want. That being said I am thankful for what I have.

Enjoy the hobby!

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you not love this guy!
He was almost murdered by my flameback angel. This is the reason flameback went back to LFS.
5EF2B408-B689-49BE-B5CE-FE61B4993785.jpeg
Glad your little buddy is okay! They're cute fish, but rather overdone in my opinion. Nearly every tank has a clown XD I like fish that aren't seen every day :3

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would not say to anyone to stay away from the about to be mentioned fish as its highly irregular but the bully fish in my biocube 32 is a purple firefish he beats up on the Sapphire damsel and the platinum snowflake clown and makes the red firefish hide all the time I can say iv never herd of them being a bully in 15 years but sure enoff it'll get op some swimmjng speed and headbutt the other fish and never hides someone should tell him he's supposed to be scared of his own shadow lol when I put the tank together I figured it would be the clown or sapphire damsel go figure right fish have always surprised me over the years as each one is an individual with their own personality

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a coral beauty in every tank I have had in the last 20 hrs. I love the color of this, my experience, reef safe fish. The one I currently have though is another store all together... He is a jerk to everyone except my Yellow Tang who is much bigger than the CB. In a short while the YT will need to be re-homed as he is getting too big. At that time I think the CB will be re-homes too.

I love this hobby, I just wish I could have a tank big enough for everything I want. That being said I am thankful for what I have.

Enjoy the hobby!
In the last 20 hours? lol

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two purple tang. A perfect gentleman in one tank for over 5 years now and a pure devil in the second. Every individual specimen are so different.

Sam

That is too cool. Purple Royalty not to be messed with lol

Back