BULLY FISH! What fish should you stay away from?

Do you have any "bully fish" in your tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 259 61.4%
  • NO bullies just misunderstood...

Votes: 137 32.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 26 6.2%

• Total voters

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder brown has lost his mind, this thing has disrupted a peaceful tank full of chill inhabitants. He terrorized my starry blenny and is just a jerk. He is being a real problem to catch and I haven't been lucky with my fish trap yet. I wish I had never let him out of the acclimation box in the picture.

0823201349_HDR.jpg
Tank is to small for a powder brown tang. That's probably why he's a terror. My 120 was too small for a powder brown tang, as he got bigger he would do high speed laps around the tank and raise havoc with everything in the tank. His demise came when he "attempted" to hassle my carpet nem - Nem ate him within minutes (tang was 5")

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just rehomed my pair of clowns last week. Had the female for 4 years ( & male 3 years)-noticed my female Mandarin had bites out of her tail. Nothing new added too recently. Caught the female clown trying to bite her tail. Since I couldn't separate the pair of clowns (emotionally) off to the LFS they went.
Also recently rehomed:
McCoskers Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Very peaceful now & Mandarin tail filling back in.

BKLYN651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Hogfish. Could never add another fish to tank. Had with 4 other large fish. 2 clowns, Cardinal and hawk fish. Hogfish owned tank, swam back and forth. Had for 2 years, I was happy when he jumped to his death.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredible! I finally put a yellow tang in with my Hippo, sailfin, brown and purple tangs. The yellow decided he was boss and stressed the others. They now came down with the nasty white spots on them. My brown tang passed 5 days ago, two clowns passed two days ago. I turned on all red lights last night and got out the hippo, purple and yellow tangs. They are now in QT. The yellow doesn't look like he'll make it. Remaining in the tank is a scooter blenny, melanurus wrasse and 3 pink smith damsels. Not able to catch them but none of them show any signs of ick. Can anyone tell me if the remaining fish are immune to ick?

markfmvl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honey striped damsel. starts out looking cute but grows big and not so friendly. Changes color to a blackish purple with a yellow tail . gets about 4 inches long and agressive. He got banished to the frag tank and sometimes will hit my hand when i am working in the tank.

1601318920142.png

GrapevineReefs

Chalices & Carnations
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a maroon clown that hosts a large nem, that is a cold blooded fish. In regards to attacking my hand the domino damsel takes the cake by far. I have 5 reef tanks with a wide variety of stocking and the domino damsel takes the cake for me as soon as I break the surface of the water he is on me peck peck peck

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is to small for a powder brown tang. That's probably why he's a terror. My 120 was too small for a powder brown tang, as he got bigger he would do high speed laps around the tank and raise havoc with everything in the tank. His demise came when he "attempted" to hassle my carpet nem - Nem ate him within minutes (tang was 5")
Unfortunately I think you are 100% correct, but as soon as I can catch him he's going to have a great life in the frag tank.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomato clown, new to the hobby and was this a surprise. She would bite hard, jaws music wafting through my head as I put my hand in that tank. Maybe she took a bite out of the middle section of a fire fish, not the hobbit worm.

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish are super peaceful. I did make sure to stay away from aggressive fish though. I currently have 2 clowns, a chromis, bicolor blenny, ornate leopard wrasse and a bangai cardinal. All go perfectly well together.

GardenReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As newbies 20 years ago, one of the first fish our LFS recommended was a Koran Angel..... in a 30gal ! Clearly they did not expect it to last. as we soon realized from others in the hobby we needed a bigger tank quickly. Went as high as we could at the time with a 90. I still feel bad about how miserable that fish was. Went after everything , including a little chunk from a finger She lasted about 4 years and succumbed to hlle. Tried to find her a new home but others with bigger tanks were all a no go. Luckily she’s our only real Bully.

Drewb628

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First tank is about 4 months in and I have a pair of maroon clowns... and I'm a little worried now with how often they have come up in this thread, lol. They seem to be fine so far with me and my other fish.

adromero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blue chromis in a nano tank if added first. I had to remove him before I added any other fish. He gets along well in a 70 gallon with a 6 line, kole tang, Red Sea wrasse and a tomato clown. I guess bullies like to hang out together. BTW Red Sea wrasse are not reef safe they don’t harm soft and palys but will go after lps in my experience.

Lindaanne60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been a huge fan of clownfish! Everybody wants to have their own "Nemo" but they just don't draw me XD
My firefish should bully each other, but instead they nap in the same crevices :3
I so dislike clownfish too. They ruin the whole tank demeanor. They are only nice to look at thats about it. Never again.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back