OP
OP
mylertitchell

mylertitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank officially full :) but when turned on primary pump it was leaking. Secondary pump is dry and overflows seem dry too. This fitting is a wee dinky Nipple and was broke with tank breakdown and I replaced and broke with me. I believe I know why but too little to late now. Gonna change the bulkhead from the screw thread to same as others. Glued in hose tail and upgrade from 16mm to 25mm so all three bulkheads and tubing is now the same. Feel like I’m gonna break it again if ordered it again maybe not on fitting but some point so think this is right choice now. Even if tank is gonna have to sit until post man brings the hose tail and tubing. Also on draining weir I seen a screw! So maybe there’s a silver lining even know I’m raging at my school boy error.

OP
OP
mylertitchell

mylertitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting at kids door so excuse the word vomit...
CURRENT AGENDA
- Dosing station
Calibrate, containers, setup
- Mixing station
Tidy, WIFI plugs
- Organise storage
Dump or store, organise. Will some make it into cabinet? Would like to to do the testing briefcase but no point blowing load now.
- Plumbing
Fit replacement, leak test, balance and calculate turnover for pumps at parasite and algae control.
- Water Level
Calibrate AWC and ATO
- Salt Prep
Heat, run UV, remove sock, add salt and calculate actual water volume. Soak seneye slide.
- Dr Tim’s
Add ammonium and bacteria as dr Tim’s instructions. Might run hotter and less salty to speed up process (add some my media from nano to help process)
- Mollies
Buy 3 or so and to display tank to keep cycle going. These will then move to QT.
- CUC
Add some snails and shrimp.
- Filter Roller
Fit roller after cycle when arrives, will prob use some floss in socks pre this to minimise roll use day 1.
- PAR
Do par reading and setup light schedule
- Stable
Get tank into routine and tank stable. Equipment will be all on minus lights at this point.
- Breakdown Nano
Add corals to new tank when tank is stable and turn lights on for them. Prepare nano for QT setup.
- Bangaiis
Add these to display and move mollys to QT. Bangaiis were tank bred and are in holding tank at friends so that’s the start of qt fish only.
- Fish/Invert/Coral/Dry
The start of monthly additions. Prob one Fish every other month and coral in between. Cuc when need it and may do more than one fish when it’s pair of clowns or all wrasses at once etc. Dry goods when need and equipment will replace coral/fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mylertitchell

mylertitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houses need to breathe. They should draw in fresh air and exhaust stale air. So my house has air vents which vent under the internal floor level to allow the passage of air.
So my underground hatch takes us in to that breath of fresh air and an external vent is only few feet away. So added tubing to go into this hatch as this will be fresher than house so should benefit and soften noise.
F00F7B59-64D3-4B39-80B6-23A85826EDE7.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mylertitchell

mylertitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Mixing station
Tidy, WIFI plugs
- Organise storage
Dump or store, organise. Will some make it into cabinet? Would like to to do the testing briefcase but no point blowing load now.
Done. Almost forgot I had a concrete floor. Not fully perfected, but all in shelves and long term storage away. Left wee bit wiggle for cabinet storage.

Attachments

• 81CF98AF-EC9B-4BF9-A66B-40A1E8F42981.jpeg
    81CF98AF-EC9B-4BF9-A66B-40A1E8F42981.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 47

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks great once again! I really like all the detail you put into this tank! Glad to see it running :)

OP
OP
mylertitchell

mylertitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12.8kg later...
320litres (85g) delighted with that number. Wanted to start with 3. Calibrated Hanna checker, added kilo at time. Stopped at 8kg quick math and pushed to 12kg confidently. Then fine tuning. Filter sock is out, skimmer is off as will need a stand to run correctly, uv off. Seneye slide is soaking in food defroster so 24hrs will install. I believe I have ato in correct level and awc clean at correct level too.

OP
OP
mylertitchell

mylertitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Tim’s Time
15ml ammonia added
Full bottle of one and only
Added some rubble and small bag of biomedia that was in nano for some time.
Got an alert from seneye lol. Will see how it moves over next 24hrs and test nitrite.
8DEA370A-28A3-4E03-94FC-64EC1909955D.jpeg FD3CDC40-9120-40AE-9B41-280A482645A7.jpeg 05DE6499-F887-4970-AC60-B3EAA93839D3.png

OP
OP
mylertitchell

mylertitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Cycle

A37AF131-6994-4D97-9C2D-35169EC54808.png

Day 0 - 0.012mg/l
Day 3 - 0.076mg/l (after 5ml)
Day 6 - 0.100mg/l (after 5ml)
Day 6 - 8ppm NO3 (ignore *)
Day 9 - 50ppm NO3 (ignore *)
Not adding fish until can add 15ml of ammonium and be 0/0 for ammonia and nitrite in 24hrs.
Not adding corals until have nitrate (and phosphate) stable.
Day 10 - Noticing plummet in ammonia
*Learnt u can’t test nitrate while nitrite present. Fascinating hobby.
Day 12 - Remembered I own a bottle of MB7. Started dosing the recommended 17ml per day for 2 weeks (dont think I have that left, will dose till empty)
Day 13 (morn) - Seachem Ammonia Alert is now yellow (safe). Seneye reading 0.038.
Day 14 - Calling it that ammonia is of zero concern now. Will test nitrite in 48hours in hope that it’s not bright red in a pink test anymore.
Day 15 - 8.00pH | 0.007NH3 | 1.00NO2
Day 16 - 8.04pH | 0.003NH3 | first Diatom showing on sand bed and rocks
Day 17 - 8.02pH | 0.001NH3 | 1.00NO2
Day 18 - 8.04pH | 0.001NH3 | 1.00NO2
Looking more hot pink than ferocious red
Day 20 - 8.08pH | 0.001NH3 | 1.00NO2
Added a test crab and snail from nano tank
Regret the 25ml of ammonia. Believe 10-15ml been plenty especially for a molly or 3 Bangaiis. But early days. This hobby is all about patience.
Day 21 - 8.14pH | 0.001NH3 | 1.00NO2

Last edited:
OP
OP
mylertitchell

mylertitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Primary Hose Arrived!

Chamber 0
  • Hang on Refugium - still to be kitted out. chaeto, mud, matrix, pellets, mangroves, copepods let loose.
Chamber 1
  • 2x 300w Heaters
  • Filter Roller (will be installed here on arrival)
  • Refugium Pump
  • Primary and Emergency Drains
Chamber 2
  • Frag System (Frags, Shrooms, Frags, biomedia underneath, Light and wavemaker from nano tank will be added here)
  • Protein Skimmer (air inlet going into airspace)
  • Float Switch 1 - AWC High Level: clean saltwater gets pumped to this level (higher than ato as all pumps off).
  • Float Switch 2 - AWC Low Level: Pump (behind skimmer) takes water from here to drain. This can be set to any level, but will be set to around 6/7% weekly wc which equates to 98% annual water change.
  • Float Switch 3 - ATO: pumps from a large drum which is connected to RODI filter (manual tap on/off to fill with rodi - will automate this in future)
Chamber 3
  • Media Reactor - Carbon
  • Primary Pump - 3/4x turnover (still to calculate)
  • Secondary Pump - 1x turnover (still to calculate) via UV Steriliser (will also calculate what the max turnover of this pump is so could use for algae control 3/4 turnover?)
  • 5 Dosing Lines
  • Clean Saltwater Inlet
  • Titanium Grounding Probe
  • Temperature Sensor
Above is motion sensored cabinet lighting, Secondary Pump Controller and Temperature Controller. Below is a charging cable for controller.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mylertitchell

mylertitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remaining...
CURRENT AGENDA
- Dosing station
Calibrate, containers, setup
- Water Level
Calibrate AWC Dirty (will do on first water change)
- Mollies
Buy 3 or so and to display tank to keep cycle going. These will then move to QT.
- CUC
- Filter Roller
Fit roller after cycle when arrives
- PAR
Do par reading and setup light schedule
- Stable
Get tank into routine and tank stable. Equipment will be all on minus lights at this point.
- Breakdown Nano
Add corals to new tank when tank is stable and turn lights on for them. Prepare nano for QT setup.
- Bangaiis
Add these to display and move mollys to QT. Bangaiis were tank bred and are in holding tank at friends so that’s the start of qt fish only.
- Fish/Invert/Coral/Dry (fish will be first)
The start of monthly additions. Prob one Fish every other month and coral in between. Cuc when need it and may do more than one fish when it’s pair of clowns or all wrasses at once etc. Dry goods when need and equipment will replace coral/fish.
Will like to mess around with dosing and see how much i can dose kalk, what that does to pH and whats my max kalk dose in this tank with evap. Will have this luxury pre coral as id assume i have around 2dkh to play with day dot.

OP
OP
mylertitchell

mylertitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a half hour...
2x Purple Plus and 2x Blue Plus. Reef Breeder (10 Red 10 Green 10 White 50 Royal Blue 50 Cool Blue 50 Violet).
Think this is pretty good entry point, will no more when corals come in plenty more juice in tank. Could easily have the thirstiest of corals on sand bed with this all maxxed.
1618501666969.png

OP
OP
mylertitchell

mylertitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle Update
So with Ammonia on the decline and nitrite/nitrate maxing the redsea test kit, its time to assess.
A. Not dosing any ammonia now until its either zero or nitrite is under <0.5
B. Cycle not completed until can add 15ml of ammonium and be 0/0 for ammonia and nitrite in 24hrs.
C. Not adding fish until have nitrate (and phosphate) low-medium
D. Not adding corals (and turning on lights) until have nitrate (and phosphate) stable eg. <3 and <0.03.

• Dosing station (can do right now)
    Calibrate, setup containers prime with rodi and then fill with my 5 liquids (ati 1, ati 2, kalk, no3, po4)
  • Filter Roller
    Fit roller soon as arrives
  • Water Level (not doing until B)
    Calibrate AWC Dirty
  • Fish (Bangaiis:2 weeks from today im collecting them)
    No fish (bangaiis or mollys) will be going into display until C. But worst case bangaiis will go into nano tank until B. If tank ready before 2 weeks ill get mollies into display, and when bangaiis go into display, mollies will go into nano.
  • CUC (C)
  • Stable (C/D)
    Get tank into routine and tank stable. Equipment will be all on (Getting chaeto in 2 weeks).
  • Breakdown Nano (D)
    ICP test pre corals. Add corals to new tank when tank is stable and turn lights on for them. Prepare nano for QT setup and test run with mollys.
TLDR
Waiting for Ammonia to zero, wait until nitrite is zero, dose 15ml. Hopefully drops in 24hrs. Sort Nitrates/Phosphates. Sort Dosing, Fit Roller, Calibrate Dirty Water Level. Tank Stable with fish/cuc, break nano down, stabilise tank (now with coral), setup nano as QT, get everything in order and routine locked down. Buy first fish for QT. Timeframe prob 2months.

EC061CC7-98E0-416F-8478-338C52138FD5.JPG

Last edited:

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back