Bumblebee Shrimp and Snail Symbiotic Buddies? Normal?

Is this normal?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Yours are broken

• Total voters

catalystNfacade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20200912_001157249~2.jpg

The bumblebee shrimp is below the turbo snail

I finally picked up 3 bumblebee shrimps and two of them (not sure what happened to the third) seem obsessed with the snails in my tank. Is this normal. I know there's a symbiotic relationship with Emperor Shrimps and nudibranches and various other things. Is this similar?

Side note, big (not ironic) fan of these little guys. Kind of wish I got more but also kind of wish they were a 1/2" not 1/4".

Scolymia88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen my bumblebee shrimp since adding it to my 155g 3 months ago. Randomly came across it on my snail tonight and Googled to see if this was predatory behavior or simply just taking a ride on the big ol snail. This was only thread I could find lol.

I watched the shrimp on snail for a good 30 min. The snail seemed unphased and the shrimp was picking at what appeared to be dead/loose skin. The shrimp has more than enough food in the 155. I can always see well over 100 of those little star fish.

Eventually the snail went to the bottom fell asleep and the shrimp went on its way. The behaviors we get to observe in this hobby are amazing!!!! Excuse the measuring tape....I needed something as reference to show friends how little this thing is

Maybe in another few months I'll get to see it again

Attachments

• 20201230_214029.jpg
    20201230_214029.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
catalystNfacade

catalystNfacade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen my bumblebee shrimp since adding it to my 155g 3 months ago. Randomly came across it on my snail tonight and Googled to see if this was predatory behavior or simply just taking a ride on the big ol snail. This was only thread I could find lol.

I watched the shrimp on snail for a good 30 min. The snail seemed unphased and the shrimp was picking at what appeared to be dead/loose skin. The shrimp has more than enough food in the 155. I can always see well over 100 of those little star fish.

Eventually the snail went to the bottom fell asleep and the shrimp went on its way. The behaviors we get to observe in this hobby are amazing!!!! Excuse the measuring tape....I needed something as reference to show friends how little this thing is

Maybe in another few months I'll get to see it again
I couldn't find anything either. Few pictures showing the behavior but nothing explaining it. I'm still not sure if it's predatorial or beneficial or neither. Snails seem fine though. If you ever want to see how vicious they are as predictors throw an urchin in there. It's bloody brutal.

reefjon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to revive an old thread but I thought more info on these guys would be helpful. I've had two in my pico tank for months now. This tank was designed for me to enjoy small oddities in the hobby like small cowries, crabs and shrimp. Since moving these two into the tank I've had to move a couple different snails. One seems to leave things alone but the other is an active predator it seems. I've caught him flipping and trying to eat bumblebee snails, a cowrie and cerith snails. Unfortunately I lost a fighting conch and I think I now know why. After relocating these to a different tank they all quickly recovered and began about their business as usual, so I feel the shrimps were definitely to blame.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back