Bump on goby lip

ECRuth27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just started our nano reef tank and this goby was the first fish we added . Took our water to the store with us yesterday and they tested said it looked great. He was hiding most of the day yesterday and tonight he finally came out . I noticed this bump on his lip and I’m not sure what it could be . Any advice or does anyone know what this is ? Thank you in advance !!

B532ADD9-CE71-4FD8-851E-790CB8D977FE.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a viral disease known as Lymphocystis. Is the fish still feeding? Lymphocytis has no treatment, but fish can fight of the virus on their own in 4 to 8 weeks. My only worry is that the growths can impede a fish’s feeding.
Jay

OP
OP
E

ECRuth27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a viral disease known as Lymphocystis. Is the fish still feeding? Lymphocytis has no treatment, but fish can fight of the virus on their own in 4 to 8 weeks. My only worry is that the growths can impede a fish’s feeding.
Jay
Last night the fish ate a very tiny bit and today it ate nothing . Is there anything I can do to help with that ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night the fish ate a very tiny bit and today it ate nothing . Is there anything I can do to help with that ?
Not if it is Lymphocystis. However, the bumps in the picture seem smooth, but I can’t tell if that is just the focus, or if the bumps look like that in person. Lymphocystis is usually a bit rough textured. Perhaps you could look in Google images to see if those pictures match what you are seeing?
Is the fish breathing fast? I know that’s relative, and the fish is new to you, but it should be breathing at less than 80 beats per minute (count for 15 seconds and multiply by four).
Jay

OP
OP
E

ECRuth27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bumps look smooth . When I looked on google in didn’t really see anything that looked exactly like what’s on the lip . When we just counted we got between 108-112 bpm .

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is too fast of a respiration rate, and to me, it points to a systemic infection. Trouble is, I can’t tell you what it is. There are some internal protozoans that form round smooth lesions called xenomas - but it isn’t treatable. It could be a bacterial infection, but treating for that needs to be done in a hospital tank. Sorry I’m not of any help here!

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back