bumpy sps?

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I set my reef up last November Ive been having an issue with some species of sps. For example my Cali tort. The tissue formation on a Cali tort should be smooth on the surface with barrel like corallites. My Cali tort has a rough tissue surface...almost warty like, I cant explain it.:squigglemouth:
My pink lemonade also reflects the same characteristics that the tissue on the Cali tort does. It is also present on my Oregon tort and its really bad on the Hawkins echinata in which we all know has long smooth corallites but on mine the tissue is very rough and warty looking.The corals appear vibrant in color and good polyp extension but the growth is very abnormal. On the other hand the genus montipora and my seriatopora and all my LPS appear normal. Parameters mag 1500ppm
dkh 10
Calcium 420ppm
SG 1.026
phosphates 0
nitrates 0
The only out of the ordinary things are I did find a metal hose clamp rusted in my sump?
I do use epsom salt for my mag?
I dont understand...no stray voltage....everything seems to be pretty normal. Has any one ever had this issue? Her I have a couple of pics.
IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ian. Did you notice any variable that changed before it stopped? I have two Cali tort colonies and they both are doing the same thing. I know its hard to see in the pics. The axial corallites on the other colony will get real warty and large.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think Troy. I do know what your talking about......maybe but I still think theres something else wrong.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since im using epsom salt (mag sulfate) Could I have a spike in sulfates? I do dose Calcium chloride. Could epsom salt be the issue?

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen what strong flow does to some corals but my flow is pretty rando
And moderate..... Hmmmmmm..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be something from the Epsom salt... I was just reading a article about the use of it and it does contain some stuff we don't really need... It's still a good cheap alternative regardless... Really hard to say in your case but the only time I experienced that was when I had to much flow...

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying the mag sulfate and mag chloride from BRS this weekend. What do you think about the rusted hose clamp? factor or not?

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How is the growth rate on these few that are doing this?

It's tough to really see what you are describing in the pic. Perhaps this is just a denser but quicker growth. If that makes sense. Do the bumps appear to grow with the coral or do they seem to be out of place for lack of a better phrase?

In other words do they flow with the structure or just protrude randomly?

The 1st pic is hard for me to really see whats going on but the 2nd, if that is your pink lemonade does not look abnormal to me. Just denser coralite growth. I have seen similar instances of this when a coral is taken from a less than optimum growing environment and placed in an optimum one. There is a sort of quick burst of new growth that sort of resembles your pic.

Not sure how long this has been going on, but maybe try to follow some of the bumps for a week or so and see if they sprout a polyp or something?

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying the mag sulfate and mag chloride from BRS this weekend. What do you think about the rusted hose clamp? factor or not?
Not. No real difference between the hose clamp and a reactor full of GFO.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that once, it eventually just went away....
I too have had this before and it eventually just went away. It seemed to only affect certain corals; my cali tort being one of them. Only my chips acro bubbled up to the point I lost it when it began to RTN once the larger wart like bubbles seemingly "popped".

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up Andy? Got that cell phone yet? Shoot me a pm with your # if so. I doubt the hose clamp would be helping but I would expect some die off from that, not the bumpy corallites. I don't think there are any studies on the epsom and the use in marine aquaria but I could be wrong. I'm guessing it's just a random thing. As Ian said, it will likely go away. From the pics, your color and growth are great (as always) so it must not be a big deal in the overall scheme of things.

The BRS supplies are great - although more expensive than your current regimen, it is tried and true....

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Adam. The bumps grow with the coral and the growth is VERY slow. No real true definition of growth. Meaning normal growth characteristics resembling its species. Im going to cancel out high flow....pretty sure this isn't the cause. The pics are poor but if you can imagine the surface of a potato chip, kind of like that. Thanks for you info!
How is the growth rate on these few that are doing this?

It's tough to really see what you are describing in the pic. Perhaps this is just a denser but quicker growth. If that makes sense. Do the bumps appear to grow with the coral or do they seem to be out of place for lack of a better phrase?

In other words do they flow with the structure or just protrude randomly?

The 1st pic is hard for me to really see whats going on but the 2nd, if that is your pink lemonade does not look abnormal to me. Just denser coralite growth. I have seen similar instances of this when a coral is taken from a less than optimum growing environment and placed in an optimum one. There is a sort of quick burst of new growth that sort of resembles your pic.

Not sure how long this has been going on, but maybe try to follow some of the bumps for a week or so and see if they sprout a polyp or something?

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up Andy? Got that cell phone yet? Shoot me a pm with your # if so. I doubt the hose clamp would be helping but I would expect some die off from that, not the bumpy corallites. I don't think there are any studies on the epsom and the use in marine aquaria but I could be wrong. I'm guessing it's just a random thing. As Ian said, it will likely go away. From the pics, your color and growth are great (as always) so it must not be a big deal in the overall scheme of things.

The BRS supplies are great - although more expensive than your current regimen, it is tried and true....

Hey Craig! just sent you a pm...Overall health of the coral is great but the appearance is not right...LOL! I hope it goes away. Its like a joke somebody is playing on me or something..LOL! The corals that are being affected are hawkins echinata, Cali tort, Oregon Tort and a a.millepora that I have..O yeah and the pink lemonade.

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have had this before and it eventually just went away. It seemed to only affect certain corals; my cali tort being one of them. Only my chips acro bubbled up to the point I lost it when it began to RTN once the larger wart like bubbles seemingly "popped".

Thats crazy!

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Adam. The bumps grow with the coral and the growth is VERY slow. No real true definition of growth. Meaning normal growth characteristics resembling its species. Im going to cancel out high flow....pretty sure this isn't the cause. The pics are poor but if you can imagine the surface of a potato chip, kind of like that. Thanks for you info!

Strange for sure then. I'd say just wait it out and see what happens. From the pics they look plenty healthy. Could just be a fluke of sorts. If you have the opportunity to get a clearer pic I'd love to see what is really going on. I can't say that I have ever experienced anything quite like what you have described.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back