Burgundy algae

Anthrilliel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 month old 20 gallon tank. Lights run for 9 hr white and 3 only blue.
Temp 78.5
Phos 0.07
Ammonia 0
Nitrires 0
Nitrates 15
Salinity 1.024

The past week or so I notices this hair like algae and the last 2 days or so I saw the burgundy/dark red one as well. The red one does not brush off . Is this some sort of Coraline?

What can I do to control this?

20210108_165343.jpg
20210108_165325.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanobacteria. Harmless but ugly. Antibiotics kill it. It feeds off organics and light

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cyano is actually a bacteria and not harmless as it can smother and kill some coral.
What you want to do is reduce white light intensity or even turn off whites for 3-5 days and and add 1ml per 10 gallons of liquid bacteria during day and 1ml per ten gallons of peroxide at night for a week and it will subside.
If youre able to have phosphate and nitrate checked to assure the levels arent elevated. Also aim water flow towards, not at the lower part of the tank.

One of the leading causes of cyano blooms is high levels of phosphates and nitrates. This can happen if you are over-feeding your tank or not using proper feeding techniques. cyanobacteria can overtake your reef aquarium. Battling the bloom requires more than simply killing off the cyano. You must also address the underlying cause that invited these pervasive organisms in the first place. Good filtration, lighting, currents, source water, and a few algae-eating critters will all go a long way to ensure your tank stays as clean as possible

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For the bryopsis- pull it by hand, While you reduce white light for cyano it will have affect on bryopsis also. Over flux, I recommend liquid vibrant which is not as harsh

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is apparently a dark red plating or shelving algae . If I’m not mistaken it’s a type of cyano but can’t find it

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is actually a bacteria and not harmless as it can smother and kill some coral.
What you want to do is reduce white light intensity or even turn off whites for 3-5 days and and add 1ml per 10 gallons of liquid bacteria during day and 1ml per ten gallons of peroxide at night for a week and it will subside.
If youre able to have phosphate and nitrate checked to assure the levels arent elevated. Also aim water flow towards, not at the lower part of the tank.

One of the leading causes of cyano blooms is high levels of phosphates and nitrates. This can happen if you are over-feeding your tank or not using proper feeding techniques. cyanobacteria can overtake your reef aquarium. Battling the bloom requires more than simply killing off the cyano. You must also address the underlying cause that invited these pervasive organisms in the first place. Good filtration, lighting, currents, source water, and a few algae-eating critters will all go a long way to ensure your tank stays as clean as possible
Along with exporting nutrients . Keep in mind your test could show low numbers but the nutrients are tied in with the algae growth itself and can’t be tested as it’s already consumed .
Lighting , flow all contribute to cyano

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back