Burning through Filters/DI Resin too fast.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test out of the RO into the bucket and then out of the bucket into the DI and finally out of the DI. There is zero change in TDS after degassing. There are no pumps needed for this process. Gravity does all the work.

I went from getting maybe 40 gallons per DI cartridge to now getting hundreds of gallons. Even if aerating added a couple TDS, which I do not believe to be true and in my experience is not true, you’re talking about an insignificant amount and could maybe cost you a few gallons total per cartridge. Far less than the cost of any filtering over the lifetime of the system.

Awesome. I have heard anecdotal stories of guys aerating their RODI water and coming in the next day and it jumping to 100. Of course that is over several hours or days. I suspect my CO2 is a little high as well because I burn through it faster than I think I should. I am going to give this method a try and see how it works.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I have heard anecdotal stories of guys aerating their RODI water and coming in the next day and it jumping to 100. Of course that is over several hours or days. I suspect my CO2 is a little high as well because I burn through it faster than I think I should. I am going to give this method a try and see how it works.
I typically aerate for anywhere from a day to a week depending on usage. I’ve yet to see it go up. Mine is in my basement near my shop so there is a lot of dust that could get in there. The bucket is covered and the air pump has a little paper filter on it. Seems to be all you need. :)

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just switched to running cat then anion then mix bed.. and seems to be working very well.. the Anion is going fast but the mix bed is still no color change.. add another cartridge to the unit you have.. try going cation then anion then mix bed.. you might simply end up changing out the anion like 70 % of the time and the others only 30% ... just my 2 cents.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resin quality is critical. Have had good luck with the Spectrapure Enduro and Megamax cartridges and I have some of the most horrifying out of the tap TDS in the country here in coastal CA aside from places like Arizona. Also, assuming your ATO isn’t plumbed directly to your RODI which can rapidly burn through your DI. What’s your rejection rate for the unit and pressure to the unit itself?
Hi. Mesa Arizona here. 450-475 ppm out of the tap at nearly every house I have lived in.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I moved to a new house about 2 years ago now. The water at my new house goes through filters/DI resin very fast. If I use alot of water I can use up a filter/DI in about a week and half. Is there anything I can do? I have a 4 stage BRS unit.
Feel free to give us a call when you are in front of your system if you'd like some help troubleshooting it.

Russ

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dollars to donuts, you have high Co2 in your well water. I have well water too, and my RO water tests at 2PPM, but I only get about 100 gallons from a DI cartridge.

I'm too lazy to make up a degassing chamber, so just replace my DI cartridge a lot. I get pre-packed cartridges for about $17 each on Amazon. Sometimes BRS has sales and sell at similar prices.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back